Do you have any particular method to improve your learning capacity?

General discussion about learning languages
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Do you have any particular method to improve your learning capacity?

Postby Xenops » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 pm

I do a lot of things similar to PM, I'll just add a few things:
--I do a ketogenic diet, but it doesn't mean I remove all carbs and sugars-- just most of them. I tend to regularly have berries, Granny Smith apples, tomatoes, beans, and nuts. I just don't regularly eat grains, high glycemic fruit, starchy vegetables, etc. I found that my energy level is constant throughout the day with this diet, rather than one with moderate carbs where my energy levels fluctuate.
--I drink lots of water and herbal tea.
--I do HIIT training 2-3 times a week, and go walking almost daily.
--For supplements, I do Vitamin D and magnesium l-threonate. The latter is supposed to be a form that is better absorbed in the body. I also use plant protein and plant veggie powder in my smoothies.
--Spiritual health: I won't go into detail here, you can PM me for more info, but I have found this is crucial for my health and purpose overall.
--I recently cut out dairy, because it gives me zits, and I thought "if it's making my skin unhappy, it's probably making my body unhappy, too".
--regular chiropractic visits. It was described to me this way: if your nerves are like a garden hose, and you have kinks in the hose, the function down the line is compromised, if you have poorer functions in the receiving organs.
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Health,

a very very interesting topic indeed. I'm going to discuss below the things that I have come to discover that work for me.

The better your health, the better you function, including mentally.

How can one focus if one is unhealthy, it takes a lot more energy to do so, if one is unhealthy, which also means one has less energy.

• I agree waking at around the same time each day is healthy.
• Sleep enough hours according to your body's needs.
• Drink ample water (WITHOUT fluoride!).
• Vitamin D reduces cancer risk substantially- as does fluoride elimination, avoiding sugar, avoiding EMF radiation and a ketogenic diet.
• Sleep with wifi off, or avoid it altogether. A search (like many of these topics) if you know where to dig will reveal the truth of dangers of EMF. Wifi disrupts sleep and lowers immune strength, among other things.
• Eat as little amount of processed foods as possible (ie reduce toxic waste in your body). Toxic waste means your body has to work harder to eliminate it and requires more energy to do so = more sleep = less energy for other tasks and likely increased irritability and reduced ability to focus and increased likelihood you will just skip study altogether.
• Eat organic where you can (less toxic waste).
• Don't eat genetically modified foods.
• Eat good quality fats (not processed).
• Follow a ketogenic diet - fat is good, carbohydrates for the most part ought to be avoided or remain an exception in your diet. Researchers are beginning to show numerous benefits of a body that uses fat (in place of carbohydrates) for energy such as, when the body produces ketones your immune strength is massively increased = less likelihood to become sick, less reliance on pharmaceuticals which are also taxing on the body.
• Do not eat refined sugar! Sugar attacks protein cells- your brain included- collagen in your skin too and a whole host of other proteins. (spikes in blood sugar caused from refined foods, simple sugars predominantly, or sustained elevation of blood sugar from complex carbohydrates leads to an unstable hormonal and endocrine environment or one in which ketones are not present = less ability to focus, and increased likelihood of becoming ill).
• Eat some alkaline foods- lemon, green leafy foods, raw foods. Processed foods rob your body of important minerals such as calcium (think osteoporosis) as the body (kidneys) uses them to stabilise pH. Fill your body with processed foods, expect bone density/thickness to drop over time.
• Be present - the more you are the better your level of focus and energy.
• Be critical- the modern medical system is flooded with corporations with invested interests in selling medications- you think these companies will thrive if everyone is healthy? Think beyond standard science and media!

What is wrong with fluoridated water? I would think decayed teeth aren't good for pronunciation ;)
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun May 07, 2017 12:54 am

Seneca wrote:

a very very interesting topic indeed. I'm going to discuss below the things that I have come to discover that work for me.

How can one focus if one is unhealthy, it takes a lot more energy to do so, if one is unhealthy, which also means one has less energy.

• I agree waking at around the same time each day is healthy.
• Sleep enough hours according to your body's needs.
• Vitamin D reduces cancer risk substantially- as does fluoride elimination, avoiding sugar, avoiding EMF radiation and a ketogenic diet.
• Sleep with wifi off, or avoid it altogether. A search (like many of these topics) if you know where to dig will reveal the truth of dangers of EMF. Wifi disrupts sleep and lowers immune strength, among other things.
• Eat as little amount of processed foods as possible (ie reduce toxic waste in your body). Toxic waste means your body has to work harder to eliminate it and requires more energy to do so = more sleep = less energy for other tasks and likely increased irritability and reduced ability to focus and increased likelihood you will just skip study altogether.
• Eat organic where you can (less toxic waste).
• Don't eat genetically modified foods.
• Eat good quality fats (not processed).
• Follow a ketogenic diet - fat is good, carbohydrates for the most part ought to be avoided or remain an exception in your diet. Researchers are beginning to show numerous benefits of a body that uses fat (in place of carbohydrates) for energy such as, when the body produces ketones your immune strength is massively increased = less likelihood to become sick, less reliance on pharmaceuticals which are also taxing on the body.
• Do not eat refined sugar! Sugar attacks protein cells- your brain included- collagen in your skin too and a whole host of other proteins. (spikes in blood sugar caused from refined foods, simple sugars predominantly, or sustained elevation of blood sugar from complex carbohydrates leads to an unstable hormonal and endocrine environment or one in which ketones are not present = less ability to focus, and increased likelihood of becoming ill).
• Eat some alkaline foods- lemon, green leafy foods, raw foods. Processed foods rob your body of important minerals such as calcium (think osteoporosis) as the body (kidneys) uses them to stabilise pH. Fill your body with processed foods, expect bone density/thickness to drop over time.
• Be present - the more you are the better your level of focus and energy.
• Be critical- the modern medical system is flooded with corporations with invested interests in selling medications- you think these companies will thrive if everyone is healthy? Think beyond standard science and media!

What is wrong with fluoridated water? I would think decayed teeth aren't good for pronunciation ;)

https://www.google.fr/amp/articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/12/amp/the-hard-to-swallow-truth-documentary.aspx
2 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Sun May 07, 2017 3:22 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Seneca wrote:

https://www.google.fr/amp/articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/12/amp/the-hard-to-swallow-truth-documentary.aspx

Note: quote edited only for length since there were so many bullet points.

Anyway, that video is just junk science.

Paul Connett and his band of merry misinformation peddlers are a public health risk. Read more on how misleading they are
here.

Here is a 50+ year old paper from the University of Michigan debunking anti-flouride arguments that still surface:
Classification and Appraisal of Objections to Fluoridation

There is this article from the CDC about the wonders of fluoride in water as one of the great public health accomplishments of the 20th century that even notes one of the obstacles to spreading it even further is
3) opponents of water fluoridation often make unsubstantiated claims about adverse health effects of fluoridation in attempts to influence public opinion

It is good to be skeptical in life, but just because someone puts a video on the internet, it does not lend credence to the arguments being made in said video. The same goes for YouTube polyglots who learned 20 languages in 4 months as it does for shysters looking for attention and spreading misinformation about flouridation.

Here is a list of National and International Organizations That Recognize the Public Health Benefits of Community Water Fluoridation for Preventing Dental Decay

Here is a list further debunking common arguments.

I am willing to read and process information that challenges my worldview if you are ;)
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun May 07, 2017 3:43 pm

While I normally am all for these discussions online, LLorg isn't the place I come for them. Can we please stick to language-learning discussions?
10 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun May 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Seneca wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Seneca wrote:

Note: quote edited only for length since there were so many bullet points.

Anyway, that video is just junk science.

Paul Connett and his band of merry misinformation peddlers are a public health risk. Read more on how misleading they are
here.

Here is a 50+ year old paper from the University of Michigan debunking anti-flouride arguments that still surface:
Classification and Appraisal of Objections to Fluoridation

There is this article from the CDC about the wonders of fluoride in water as one of the great public health accomplishments of the 20th century that even notes one of the obstacles to spreading it even further is
3) opponents of water fluoridation often make unsubstantiated claims about adverse health effects of fluoridation in attempts to influence public opinion

It is good to be skeptical in life, but just because someone puts a video on the internet, it does not lend credence to the arguments being made in said video. The same goes for YouTube polyglots who learned 20 languages in 4 months as it does for shysters looking for attention and spreading misinformation about flouridation.

Here is a list of National and International Organizations That Recognize the Public Health Benefits of Community Water Fluoridation for Preventing Dental Decay

Here is a list further debunking common arguments.

I am willing to read and process information that challenges my worldview if you are ;)

I quickly searched to find a link online that might challenge the fluoride view, not to debate it, but simply to provide another view. I found one. I cared not for whether the science would be judged so much, more that I could at least provide an opposing view. I didn't want to debate it here either (admittedly I did not clearly state that). I do not agree with you in short. I have no respect whatsoever for the CDC. If you wish to discuss this further PM me. Otherwise I'm fine to have just pointed out another opinion.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”