From what point is it safe to start another language?

General discussion about learning languages
Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Re: From what point is it safe to start another language?

Postby Voytek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm

blaurebell wrote:
Voytek wrote:To gain the deep knowledge of a language you just have to be patient and do things methodically.

Personally I have never noticed any mistakes in Luca's English. I just listened to a video of his in English and specifically kept my ears open, but I couldn't find a single problem in a 6min video. And since you specifically speak about his use of articles, I hope you don't mind if I point out to you that there are several mistakes with articles in your own sentences. In the sentence I quote up top it would be "To gain deep knowledge ..." Overusing articles is a common problem depending on your L1. Today I actually figured out that I overuse articles in Spanish myself :?

That's why I keep struggling with the English grammar and I didn't put it aside.

By the way, I found two exemples where you can find "the deep knowledge of a language" here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/magazine-11086381
https://books.google.pl/books?id=sihrCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=%22the+deep+knowledge+of+a+language+%22&source=bl&ots=shOPBFqzig&sig=QBjN02Kk1pQ4c9dkbUkXOiD5cEg&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii8drM2LjTAhVC6xoKHanDBM8Q6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=%22the%20deep%20knowledge%20of%20a%20language%20%22&f=false

And here with the zero article:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/importance-of-the-foreign-language-study.html

I'm curious what teachers from the englishforums will say. :)

Thanks for your comment.
1 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Voytek wrote:By the way, I found two exemples where you can find "the deep knowledge of a language" here:

"The deep knowledge of a language needed to converse spontaneously is not focussed on or even acknowledged ..." I'm bad at explaining grammar, but I think here the second part of the sentence refers to a specific instance of "deep knowledge", namely the one that is needed to converse spontaneously. Otherwise it's probably zero article? I don't know, for me this is largely intuitive.
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:47 am

blaurebell wrote:
Voytek wrote:By the way, I found two exemples where you can find "the deep knowledge of a language" here:

"The deep knowledge of a language needed to converse spontaneously is not focussed on or even acknowledged ..." I'm bad at explaining grammar, but I think here the second part of the sentence refers to a specific instance of "deep knowledge", namely the one that is needed to converse spontaneously. Otherwise it's probably zero article? I don't know, for me this is largely intuitive.

Thank you for your time and explanation, blaurebell. Now I've grasped the idea.

Now you should learn the Spanish Subjuncive, unless you know it already, and then explain it to me once and for all... Please. :)
3 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:23 am

Voytek wrote:Now you should learn the Spanish Subjuncive, unless you know it already, and then explain it to me once and for all... Please.

Hah, I wish I could explain those, but I still get simple subjunctives wrong half the time. It's so annoying, because even 5 year olds use those correctly. But then, my husband says that a lot of native speakers get the more complicated ones wrong too and they are only mastered in teenage years, if at all!
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “General Language Discussion”