Does early speaking lead to fossilized mistakes?

General discussion about learning languages
Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Re: Does early speaking lead to fossilized mistakes?

Postby Atinkoriko » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
smallwhite wrote: I'm very prudent and risk-averse in every imaginable way. Even when I speak early, I only say things that I am 99.9% sure is correct (though of course I could be wrong). So me speaking early doesn't equate to me speaking incorrectly. I imagine that people who are more carefree would make more mistakes? Not just fossilised mistakes but new mistakes as well.
My memory could be failing me here, but I seem to recall the "notes to the student" of one of the FSI/DLI courses describing this phenomenon. I believe that they likened it to two adolescents who, having received a box containing a disassembled bicycle, approached the problem of assembling and riding it. I'm working from memory here and am undoubtedly embellishing the description; however, it went something like this ...

In the first instance, the more boisterous of the two, having no patience for reading the accompanying instructions, cobbled together a more-or-less functional machine devoid of a braking system and, satisfied with the results and, not really knowing how to ride a bicycle but having seen other people do so, simply mounted the machine and launched himself headlong into the traffic. The joy and the freedom of movement that he experienced were immeasurable! It goes without saying that he did not take the time to acquaint himself with the Rules of the Road. Nevertheless, through his numerous mishaps, near misses and accidents, he eventually learned to navigate the streets with relative-for-him efficacy, albeit with continued risk to himself, to pedestrians, and to any other small creatures that might stray into his path. It is not recorded by what manner, and at what age, this carefree (dare we say imprudent) individual left this world.

In the second instance, the decidedly more reserved of the two, ever mindful of the risks involved in piloting a vehicle, carefully unpacked the contents of the box and placed them in a very specific order on the floor. Having familiarized himself completely with the Owner's Manual, he executed several "mock" assemblies and sub-assemblies of the various components, without actually fixing them together. After several trials, and satisfied with his mastery of the concepts, he quickly assembled the bicycle as prescribed. His was a “Show Room” model ready for display. He next acquired a copy of the Rules of the Road. He familiarized himself completely with the safe operation of a bicycle, the various hand signals for indicating his intended movements, ensured that his bicycle was fitted with all of the required safety illumination et cetera and, satisfied with his newly-acquired knowledge, reported to the local Motor Vehicle Office and requested to sit a facultative exam which, despite his anxiety, he passed with flying colours. Confident of his preparation, he embarked on a programme of practical use of his self-propelled vehicle. Following a few week's practice of mounting/dismounting the machine in his parents’ garage, he ventured into the driveway where he spent an additional two weeks gliding down the sloped surface, applying the breaks at the appropriate instant, and learning to direct the machine left or right. Finally, he was ready for the road! With a view to limiting his exposure to the dangers of motor vehicle traffic, for the first two months, he circulated only in the quiet residential streets of his neighborhood. Initially, on the approach of an automobile, he would stop and curb his bicycle. Over time, his self-confidence increased and, following numerous excursions beyond his quiet neighborhood, eventually merged seamlessly with the motor vehicle traffic of his locale. Needless to say, he was never involved in even the slightest incident on the road. And he thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience! It is recorded that he left this world as he had predicted he would and, as expected, all of the necessary arrangements had already been made.

As I recall, the "notes to the student" recognized that, as individuals, we would likely fall somewhere within a broad spectrum delineated by the above opposing examples.

By the way, I am a "textbook example" of the second instance!

First of all, even if we assume that the 2nd approach is entirely effective in preventing the formation of fossilized errors, it's rather easy to see why most people choose learning styles that deviate away from it.
Most importantly , the sheer boredom. Learning a language this way, from the ground up, is extremely boring. One could say that this idea is at the crux of the grammar translation method which, although effective if stuck to, has succeeded in chasing away people from language learning because of bad experiences in school. Maintaining interest is extremely difficult because of the monotony of the work you're forced to do. It's particularly telling that even on this forum, full of largely auto didactic and experienced language learners, few people ever report going through an FSI course from beginning to end in such a systematic manner.

Also, one would have to be fully confident in one's ability to learn this way in order for it to work. Maintaining motivation is especially difficult with such an approach, even for experienced language learners. How about the vast majority of the population who have little or no experience with language learning outside the secondary school curriculum? They get given a choice - the standard grammar translation method in which they work slowly and methodically, avoiding use of the language till 'ready' or a certain charismatic Irish polyglot who offers something else - to speak as early as possible and use the language, to have fun with the language and worry less about grammar or making mistakes. It's not hard to see why people choose to be the guy in the first example and worry less about mistakes, thus running the significant risks of fossilizing mistakes.In essence, the 2nd approach would require a very special breed of person indeed. A person who is fully confident in his ability to learn a language this way, one highly disciplined and resistant to boredom, one who genuinely enjoys tinkering about with the innards of a language and doesn't mind waiting for months, even years, before getting to use the language. He must also be somewhat of a perfectionist, as he would go over each concept over and over until he masters it before moving over to the next one.

Now, even if we were all indeed FSI supermen who could start learning a language this way, it's not entirely guaranteed that we would avoid fossilized mistakes altogether. Take Random Review's observation about native speakers who still have fossilized errors, despite being native speakers. For example in English, we have the failure to distinguish between 'your' and 'you're' or between 'loose' and lose' etc One could argue, that as native speakers of a language, we pretty much start learning the written language quite formally indeed - in school. These errors must have been corrected many times indeed, over the course of a decade and a half, not counting university. Yet they still persist. These people have also taken grammar lessons in their own languages, and sometimes know precisely what the mistakes are and what the correct versions should be. However, the mistakes are made nonetheless. Drills are not a guarantee of correct usage, neither are grammar lessons and corrections.

Surely, this must suggest that the discussion is more nuanced than we think. Perhaps a lack of people adhering to grammar translation is not the only problem, or a lack of quick one-on-one error corrections, or early speaking per se or even skipped grammar lessons. Maybe it's more about the individual himself and how proactive he is to getting rid of errors, or how careful he is with speaking/writing.
Perhaps, a person who starts speaking early but very carefully may run a smaller risk of getting fossilized errors. Such a careful person would also do well in an immersion only environment as he'd self correct when his mistakes are pointed out to him, and he'd also be more likely to keep the corrections in mind when using the language.

In essence, the accumulation and subsequent retention of errors may not lie entirely on the learning style employed but also on the individual.
3 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 pm

There are few safe places to hide...

Gianfranco Conti

"If we plunge L2 learners into highly demanding oral tasks too soon, without focusing long and hard enough on pronunciation through easy and controlled tasks, their Working Memory will have less monitoring space for sound articulation, as they will focus on the generation of meaning... with potentially ‘disastrous’ consequences for their pronunciation , in that they will resort to their first language phonological encoding to produce the target language sounds (language transfer). If pronunciation errors due to this issue will keep slipping into performance lesson after lesson, oral practice after oral practice, the mistakes will become fossilized and carried over to later stages of proficiency as fossilized errors tend to be impervious to correction."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gianfranco ... ition/amp/

Many errors appear to be impervious to error correction (Truscott, 1996). Despite repeated corrections, the vast majority of errors, especially the ones which refer to more complex grammatical points or less salient features (e.g. article, prepositions, word endings) keep re-occurring.
Intensive grammar and editing instruction targeting specific errors has also shown to be largely ineffective (Polio et al, 1998).
Once errors are automatized (or ‘fossilised’ as psycholinguists say) nothing can be done to completely eradicate them (Mukkatesh, 1988). Hence preventing students from automatizing mistakes seems to be more effective than treating them.

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/2 ... riorities/

The problem, however, is that in many quarters this has led to an overly tolerant acceptance of error and, more importantly, to overly encouraging fluency at the expense of accuracy. This has led to cohort after cohort of language learners who have fossilised (automatized) mistakes because they have often been encouraged to talk beyond their level of competence through unstructured tasks they were not ready for. I still see this happen in many TBL (task based learning) and PBL (project based learning) classes in which students are asked to tackle tasks way beyond their level of competence.

I see the effects of this attitude on many primary students who come to secondary with many fossilised mistakes (especially pronunciation errors) they have automatized because ‘it is okay to make mistakes’ at that age and correcting them or focusing them on accuracy would put them off languages. ‘Children learn subconscioulsy anyway…’

Truth is, if a learner keeps making the same mistakes over and over again because they are made to talk or write beyond their level of competence and are not sufficiently focused on accuracy those mistakes will become engrained in their production system and, once fossilised, will never be amenable to correction or re-learning (Mukkatesh, 88; Ellis, 1994). Whilst teachers must be tolerant and encouraging of error to a certain degree, they must be able to stamp them out as early as possible, before they become fossilised – unless, once again, our aim is simply to forge language survival skills not highly competent speakers.

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/2 ... education/

Another interesting finding by Erler was that 75 % of the total sample Year 7s thought that it was indeed useful to know pronunciation and 63% stated that they were aware of subvocalizing to sounds when reading in French, confirming what we know about automatic phonological loop activation in working memory during reading (in simpler words: whether we are aware of it or not, the brain automatically converts letters into sounds as we read, even when we are not reading aloud).

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/2 ... -learners/

What is interesting is that many L1 learners, when reading silently, report often repeating the words in their phonemic form ‘in their heads’ (sub-vocalizing), especially when they struggle with the meaning of a text. This entails the risk of L1 learners learning the wrong pronunciation even as they read silently.

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/2 ... ould-know/

The Impact of Extensive Reading Programs on the Pronunciation Accuracy of EFL Learners at Basic Levels

—This experimental study aimed to investigate the effect of extensive reading on the pronunciation ability of EFL learners at basic levels. The proposed hypothesis predicted that the use of an extensive reading program, such as Uninterrupted Sustained Silent Reading (USSR), Drop Everything and Read (DEAR), or the Book Flood Approach, while nurturing a lifelong reading habit, leads to fossilization of incorrect pronunciations at basic levels. To this end,100 EFL students attending English language courses.. . Based on the use of descriptive and inferential statistics, it was concluded that the use of extensive reading programs leads to the fossilization of incorrect pronunciations at basic levels among EFL learners.

While the truth of none of these advantages is questionable, unfortunately, nothing has been said about the impact of extensive reading on students‟ pronunciation. Unfortunately, absence of systematic instruction for pronunciation at basic levels may result in Fossilization which is “a process in which incorrect linguistic features become a permanent part of the way a person speaks or writes a language. Aspects of pronunciation, vocabulary usage and grammar may become fixed or fossilized in second or foreign language learning.”(Richards, Jack C &Schmidt, Richards, 2002). As the learners‟ focus on getting the meaning increases they are less likely to pay intensive attention to the way they pronounce new words they encounter while reading.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... tNw1P08NQw
13 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Atinkoriko wrote: ... In essence, the 2nd approach would require a very special breed of person indeed. A person who is fully confident in his ability to learn a language this way, one highly disciplined and resistant to boredom, one who genuinely enjoys tinkering about with the innards of a language and doesn't mind waiting for months, even years, before getting to use the language. He must also be somewhat of a perfectionist, as he would go over each concept over and over until he masters it before moving over to the next one ...

First, allow me to express my surprise as well as my genuine appreciation for your detailed and thoughtful analysis; I did not anticipate such a detailed response!

Second, I would underscore that, in my view, the authors of the "notes to the student" were attempting to describe how the "extremes" of a broad range of "personality types" might be inclined to approach the task of learning a language.

Third, having personally scored at the 96th percentile on the Asperger's Syndrome Scale, allow me to assure you that the "second instance" is not a matter of choice any more than would be that of the "first instance".

Fourth, might I suggest that "a person who is fully confident of his ability to learn a language this way" fails to recognize the second-instance personality-type's deep-seated psychological need of assuring mastery of the most minute details of a process through truly uncommon preparation before proceeding to the stage of executing it? The phenomenon is not one of overabundance of self-confidence; it is rather the expression of a level of determination and perseverance towards the achievement of a goal that greatly surpasses that of the average person. The expression “to die trying” takes on a very personal dimension for such people. It is not confidence, it is “the triumph of the will!” To fully understand this, I suggest that you re-read smallwhite's quote, which served to "mettre la table" for my post. While I could be wrong, I believe that I understood her.

Fifth, from my personal experience, I can assure you that “boredom” is not a factor in cases where “endless toil” promises to bring the second-instance personality-type closer to the only acceptable level of performance: that of perfection.

Sixth, although not explored in the rather intelligently-crafted metaphor, the highest risk to the second-instance personality-type involves the obsessive preparation and practicing of the initial stages of a task, to the detriment of progress towards the higher stages.

Seventh, sorry, what were we talking about?

EDITED:
Formatting
Expansion of the "fourth" point
6 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Here's a repost ("Digging up fossils, and making new discoveries!", taken from my own personal blog back in 2013) which I recalled while reading this thread. It may not answer the OP's original question, but I hope it casts some positive light on how to beat fossilisation when it does occur.

Two of the topics that come up again and again in the field of Second Language Learning are "interlanguage" and "fossilisation". I think an understanding of the implications of the theory of interlanguage, and thinking about how we can fight against and even remedy fossilisation, is a crucial step in helping us language learners progress through challenging stages in our development, and I'd like to suggest a 5-step strategy today.

First a little background on the theory. The terms "interlanguage" and "fossilisation" were coined by Larry Selinker back in 1972 to try and offer an alternative explanation to behaviourist accounts at the time of why we continue to make certain errors at different stages in our linguistic development. The notion of interlanguage describes the process of language learning as ongoing and personal, where we intuit and develop our own rules for a new language over time (e.g. grammatical, morphosyntactic, phonological, etc), given all the clues in our environment around us and experiences interacting with other speakers. At each stage in our development of a new language, we look for similarities with other systems we already know well, as well as starker contrasts, and add all the evidence together to form a new emerging system called an interlanguage. This interlanguage contains rules we know well from our native language, new rules we believe are used in the target language, and other more general or logical principles that seem to cover most languages and forms of communication.

This little salad of rules and ideas is constantly being tossed around through metalinguistic introspection, and integration with new experiences and knowledge, depending on the motivation and goals of the learner on each occasion. With each new stage and personal interlanguage that evolves, we ideally move closer to or approximate the target language, removing some rules, and adding or amending others. As Selinker (1972) puts it:

"Successful language-learning, for most learners, is the reorganization of linguistic material from an IL [interlanguage] to identify with a particular TL [target language].

One of the biggest problems is the issue of fossilisation. Sometimes we just hit a hurdle in our grammar or pronunciation on this road to advancing in a language, and don't seem to progress any further in the direction of approximating a near-native speaker (or have stalled en route to one of our original goals). It's as though we've reached a level where we're comfortable communicating in our established interlanguage, and as others don't seem to object too much, it's good enough for many learners.

Other language learners, however, feel frustrated that they just can't get over a particular hurdle, or are saddened by the realisation that they don't even notice the differences between their current speech or writing and that of native speakers anymore. We look for answers to how we can best "fix" these errors, or at least start noticing them again, well aware that we've probably practised and reinforced them hundreds if not thousands of times over many years, and now filter out or gloss over much of what we hear and see around us through our established perspectives and personal interlingual set of rules. So what can we do? Is there little or no hope once we reach this stage, for perhaps we've walked too long or far down a different path to change now?

The good news is that we do manage to improve all the time, even if it's too small to notice on a day to day basis, and this progress is testified to by so many second language learners who have moved to their target language country and immersed there for several years. We also learn our first language to a very advanced "native" level, and although this is largely up for debate with innatists and strict advocates of the Critical Period Hypothesis, I think there's every hope of advancing onwards to near-native levels as an adult too, as long as it's accompanied by the right approach, attitude, and some serious investment of time and effort.

I've tried several different techniques on myself over the years, as well as tried to help others who have come to me to improve an aspect of their English as a second language. I can initially tell you what hasn't worked particularly well but I thought should have worked at the time (of course, others may have had more positive experiences here): constructive criticism, explanations, drills, massive comprehensible input, and recasting (i.e. repeating the phrase correctly in a more subtle non-corrective manner afterwards as part of the dialogue).

I know one person for example who keeps making slips in the dative case, and even though they know exactly what they're doing wrong each time they say it, they continue to make the same errors. Like a child who has been corrected or received subtle recasting hundreds of times in conversation, in addition to hearing the correct grammatical constructions said all around them across thousands of hours, the errors still seem stuck in their interlanguage for some of the trickier items, much like little fossils preserved forever in stone. Something else is missing, and these cases are not an exception in my experience. So here is what I suggest and have found works exceptionally well:

How to beat fossilisation

1. Independently notice the error.

Simply being told isn't enough; you need to see or hear it for yourself and make it personal.

2. Really believe it is an error.

Perhaps the person who told you this is misinformed, or maybe there are other occasions when you're interlingual rule could be right. You won't be able to get to the next stage until you really believe that everyone else around you is saying or writing your construction in a different way than you.

3. Want to change.

Is it really that important to change your interlanguage at this stage? There's no denying that it will take time and effort to fix what could be a small and insignificant error, and perhaps the return on investment is too low to worth bothering after 20 years of comfortable immersion. If you're going to change, you need to see that it's relevant and useful in your life, and then really commit to this goal to change.

4. Attach a strong emotional memory to some aspect of the error or the scenario in which it usually occcurs.

This for me is a crucial element, which is often left out of the process of change, and something I stumbled on through trial and error one day. It effectively raises a mental warning flag every time you're about to use a similar construction and helps prevent the learner from making the same mistake again.

For example, I know someone who used to repeat the same mistake time and time again and say, "I need to turn the aircon on *back*", rather than, "I need to turn the aircon back on". I can see how the word "aircon" primes the next word in this case, and how the sentence could be perfectly delivered without the addition of the word "back". However, no amount of recasting or comprehensible input seemed to help.

The big breakthrough came when I suggested that they picture some streaky bacon caught in the aircon and fluttering in the breeze when they switched in "back on" (bac(k)...on...aha...you see what I'm doing here ;) ). It seemed silly at first and just made them laugh at the time, but I've recently spoken to them again, and they say they amazingly never made that error again, and it was all largely down to this amusing image that helped them flag the scenario.

5. Aim to produce the correct version more often than the incorrect version.

If you've mispronounced a word a thousand times, I'm not going to lie, it's going to be a struggle to change it. It's simply a battle of statistics. You're effectively going to have two competing paradigms in your head, and the one that is more automatised is going to win each time, that is unless you make a special effort to police your actions and seek out the weaker alternative (this is where the flag in stage [4] above comes in real handy!).

The good news is that this gets easier with time, as one model of production is used more often over an earlier model, and consequently grows in automaticity and strength. For example, I mistakenly pronounced the stress in the Russian word /'надеюсь/ (I hope) for many years without even realising it. When I learnt I was saying it wrong, and made a concerted effort to change thereafter, the new pronunciation still sounded weird for a very long time. Now it's the other way round, and I can't imagine pronouncing the word any other way than /на'деюсь/. So it will take time for a new rule or idea to sink in and become established, especially given any former strong competition, but you'll get there in the end just as I did, and then it will feel quite natural and require little or no effort to reproduce.

I hope this series of 5 steps can help more of you language learners out there with any ongoing difficulties with fossilisation, or at least shed some more light on the issues involved, as I know they've really helped me and others several times in the past, and personally continue to provide a positive framework for beating fossilisation in my own studies.
14 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Really, I think this whole business about fossilization is way overblown. Fossilization is simply a fancy term for stubborn bad habits. This can happen in any field of human performance. Whether it's learning to play music, dance, sports, cooking, performing a job, we can pick up bad habits that are detrimental to our performance.

Most of the time, but not always, we are unaware of our bad habits. We may certainly feel that we are in a rut. We've hit a plateau or a wall. I may be a B2 in my target language but I feel that I'm not moving forward. What has to be done to take my language skills to a higher level?

There are two sides of a coin here. One is to clean up my act and get rid of bad habits, the so-called fossils. Lots of good advice has already been given here. The big problem here is error detection and correction. This is where some form of outside help is essential. You cannot do this alone.

Let's say you want to improve your writing skills, one the of the hardest things to master in a foreign language. I believe this is impossible without some kind of external correction. If you wrote a page a week and met with a good tutor to review your writing, you would quickly see improvement. Or simply take a writing class in the language for those really advanced learners.

The other side of the coin is how to move forward and take your performance to a higher level. This is not error correction; it's more like rejuvenation, enhancement or reinvention. Over the years we have developed a certain speaking or writing style that maybe is not where we would like it to be. Sure, no glaring mistakes, no fossils, but it's not great. What do we do to make it better?

What do musicians, actors, athletes, writers and many others do? More training. Workshops, classes, seminars, creative weekends, etc. But above all, work with good coaches, a fancy name for what we would call a tutor. I know this is a whole other debate and that there are people here who believe tutors are a waste of time and money. My position is that there is nothing as valuable as working with a trusted professional who can pinpoint your weaknesses and show you what to do. It can be humbling, sometimes humiliating to realize that you have been doing things wrong for years but this is the key to going forward.

If there's an area full of fossils, it must be pronunciation. Why do we have a foreign accent in our target language? We know what the language is supposed to sound like. We know how to produce the individual sounds. We know all about prosody. Yet when we listen to a recording our ourselves we usually don't like what we hear. What do we do about this? Nothing, and accept that we will always have an accent? Work on our own with the help of technology? Or get some help from a voice specialist who can pinpoint certain problems and point us in the right direction? We have a choice.
3 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:47 pm

blaurebell wrote:
s_allard wrote:The whole premise of adult immersion classes such as that of Middlebury College in the US and in countless schools across the world is to expose the student, receptively and productively, to the language as early as possible.

I have decided to stay largely out of this discussion from now on, since clearly none of what I wrote in the other thread, where this topic came up before, has made any impression on you. In fact, you spoke about me in the third person again, although I made it very clear that I have a strong dislike for that. I could clearly spend my time better by talking to a wall.

Such is the nature of s_allard. Always speaking in the third person, not responding to any actual parts of the discussion, beating a dead horse.

Fossilization occurs because we haven't had enough practice doing certain things and thus we've never been corrected. Everyone makes mistakes that fossilize - we just have to weed them out later on. I wouldn't worry too much about mistakes fossilizing in the beginning. Get as much right as you can, and the rest will come.
7 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

s_allard
Blue Belt

Postby s_allard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Always an upbeat chap, I'll always take a compliment from someone who has so little to bring to the discussion at hand. That said, I'll move on with a look at the role of interlanguage and the risks of fossilization in early speakers. The idea of interlanguage is that learners of a foreign language develop in the learning process a sort of intermediary and temporary language that combines or recombines features of the native and the target languages. This is essentially why we make mistakes. It's the interlanguage speaking. As our proficiency in the target language increases, the role of the interlanguage decreases.

What can happen obviously is that certain items of the interlanguage never go away and that is why we have persistent errors, or so-called fossilization.

The interlanguage concept makes sense and has been useful for academic purposes but I personally think that it's overkill for most simple discussions. Fundamentally what we are talking about in the case of adult learners is the role or rather the interference of the native language in the acquisition of the target language. This is very striking in pronunciation but also applies in grammar and vocabulary. Certain features of the first (or previous) language hinder or distort features in the target language.

So, the learning process requires on the one hand acquiring an understanding for performance of new features and on the other hand the elimination or the attenuation of the interference of the existing or prior language or languages. I use the plural because many of us use multiple languages.

To take a concrete example, if we look at the situation of a Spanish speaker and an English speaker learning to use French verbs, quite predictably, the difficulties are not the same. We can rather safely assume the it's much easier for the Spanish speaker because of the many structural resemblances between the Spanish and French verb systems, given their common origin. But these resemblances are also pitfalls because there are major differences between the two systems. Spanish speakers will tend to make mistakes of over-generalization because of resemblances.

For English speakers the challenges of mastering the French verb system are much more daunting because of the great differences in the way the two systems work. Just conjugating French verbs properly is a major headache. Then using these verb forms in the various grammatical and semantic contexts is very challenging. The source of the problem lies in the fact that French verbs can carry three pieces of information: tense, aspect and mode. On the other hand, English spreads these features out differently. For example, English uses a whole series of modal verbs such as would, might, should, will, shall, can, must that usually have no French equivalent. English also has that wonderful pseudo-passive construction (I was given a prize) that doesn't exist in French.

This is an area ripe for bad habits or fossilization by English-speaking learners of French. A broad statement would be that English speakers will tend to underutilize French forms that do not have apparent equivalents in English. A typical example would be persistent conjugation mistakes such as using the wrong auxiliary verb or oversimplifying a conjugated form. Then there is the problem of using the tenses incorrectly when narrating events, especially in the past. There is also pronominal verbs. As for the subjunctive, that's another minefield that very few adult learners master. And before I forget there is a whole other problem of how French uses verbal idioms based on avoir (e.g. avoir chaud, avoir peur, avoir dix ans, etc.)

It's no wonder that many adult speakers present what would seem to be fossilized mistakes in their use of French verbs. What we're see is the persistent influence of the first language on the target language. Therein lies the problem and the solution. One has to break away from the trying to speak the target language through the filter of the first or previous languages and develop a native-like understanding of the target language. Obviously, much easier said than done.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 pm

reineke wrote:The problem, however, is that in many quarters this has led to an overly tolerant acceptance of error and, more importantly, to overly encouraging fluency at the expense of accuracy. This has led to cohort after cohort of language learners who have fossilised (automatized) mistakes because they have often been encouraged to talk beyond their level of competence through unstructured tasks they were not ready for. I still see this happen in many TBL (task based learning) and PBL (project based learning) classes in which students are asked to tackle tasks way beyond their level of competence.

I see the effects of this attitude on many primary students who come to secondary with many fossilised mistakes (especially pronunciation errors) they have automatized because ‘it is okay to make mistakes’ at that age and correcting them or focusing them on accuracy would put them off languages. ‘Children learn subconscioulsy anyway…’

Truth is, if a learner keeps making the same mistakes over and over again because they are made to talk or write beyond their level of competence and are not sufficiently focused on accuracy those mistakes will become engrained in their production system and, once fossilised, will never be amenable to correction or re-learning (Mukkatesh, 88; Ellis, 1994). Whilst teachers must be tolerant and encouraging of error to a certain degree, they must be able to stamp them out as early as possible, before they become fossilised – unless, once again, our aim is simply to forge language survival skills not highly competent speakers.

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/2 ... education/

I think this is exactly the key here. It is definitely true that the modern way of teaching and learning langauges worships fluency and speed and (needed) ability to just get the message across too much, and pushes grammar and other "boring" stuff to the background. It is simply too late to learn some stuff at the B2 and upper levels, it is hard to correct the mistakes. The correct speech and precision is simply not a priority during the crutial beginner and intermediate levels.

I have had many more fossilized mistakes from the times spent with teachers than from self-study. I have seen the process happening to many other students. Those glorified teachers and tutors are usually simply too lazy to correct people enough, too afraid of being unpopular due to homework (and that is something especially the private teachers and schools fear, as lazy students are more numerous among the customers) or to "oldschool" methods trully teaching people the grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary. It's not just grammar. The last class I tried was a German intensive class in Berlin. The people were learning each other's pronunciation mistakes and the teacher was doing nothing, excited they were "not afraid to talk".

Sometimes, it is exactly what was described in Reineke's quotes. Students are simply not given the necessary means to perform the tasks at hand. It is not lack of correction, it is lack of instruction. A typical example is the French subjonctif. You get to learn it approximately at B1 in most courses. For most students, that is after two or three years of learning and forming habits. But the mood is highly used in the language, it is normal for children, in everyday language, everywhere. And the students want to express stuff requiring it, of course, without knowing it. Without knowing they should know it. And the teachers let them, because "subjonctif is too hard". They let them learn mistakes. Of course it is hard to rectify such a huge and systematic problem, all the sentence patterns the students are forced to learn wrong.

Thanks for all those links, Reineke.
2 x

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:47 pm

One year ago my English pronunciation was just terrible but after solid non-regional pronunciation training it became much better and I'm still working on it using the L-R method and I can observe quite regular improvements. Also a couple months ago I tended to make many grammatical mistakes but now I see how huge improvement I've done and whereby I'm way more motivated to continue studying the language.

I'm 33 y.o. now and I started studying English when I was 10 y.o. and studied it at school for 4 years. And after that I didn't do so for 17 years. But, despite of that huge break, I've always been keen to learn the language because I love its sounds since my childhood when I watched "Muzzy" passionately wth my little brother. We used to speak a bit the language because it was like acting in conspiration since nobody at home understood it. That was a great fun. :)

I started to use Anki for the vocabulary acquisition the last summer and before that I had built a large vocabulary without trying to. I did try to memorize words only before English lessons at school but I hardly could say that it was a memorizing routine because I had a lot of fun getting to know new words. But watching movies helped me to see words in use whereby I got their "pragmatic meaning" (the meaning in use).
2 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

s_allard
Blue Belt

Postby s_allard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:31 pm

With this barrage of citations that seem to show scientific evidence that speaking early leads to fossilized mistakes, there is a little detail that seems to be left out: Here is such a quote and a passage that I have put in bold:

Truth is, if a learner keeps making the same mistakes over and over again because they are made to talk or write beyond their level of competence and are not sufficiently focused on accuracy those mistakes will become engrained in their production system and, once fossilised, will never be amenable to correction or re-learning (Mukkatesh, 88; Ellis, 1994).

The authors aren't saying that early speaking is bad, they are saying that being "made to talk or write beyond their level of competence" and not being focused on accuracy will lead to mistakes being engrained and fossilized. So if students speak at their level of competence and with accuracy then speaking isn't a problem. This is the challenge facing the teacher.

Let's look at the problem from the other perspective. Let's say we avoid speaking early. For example, the French class is given in English for x number of weeks or months and then French is slowly introduced when the students are "ready". How long will this silent period be? And when our adult learners start speaking, will their French be immediately perfect?

Now contrast this with a 7-week intensive course in French this year at Middlebury College Language School that will set you back around 10,000 USD. The school has been doing this for many years and knows a lot about language teaching. One of the keys to their success is the language pledge that students must sign saying that they will speak only their target language from beginning to end. I'm not sure how exactly this is enforced but the point is that students start speaking from day one.

I've never heard anybody complain about learning bad French at Middlebury or that their French ends up full of fossilized mistakes. Quite the contrary, the program is highly praised for its great results. The fact of the matter is that after 7 weeks the students end up speaking decent French, probably something like a B1 or a low B2 level. Do they make mistakes? Of course they do just like any B1/B2. Do they master all the subjunctive and pronominal verbs? No but they are not at the C level.

Would Middlebury get better results if they taught in English for five weeks and then let the students speak in French for two weeks? Probably not. Speaking early is not incompatible with formal study of the language. Speaking early doesn't mean speaking wildly with no correction. The basic idea of any sort of immersion program is to get those ears and mouths working as soon as possible because learning to speak a language takes time; so it's best to start right away.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”