Mountains and languages

General discussion about learning languages
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Mountains and languages

Postby DaveBee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 pm

I was just comparing a language family map of europe, one of the roman empire, and a topographic map of europe

If latin survived in Romania, why not in the lands between Romania and the slovene/croation coast? Steep hills! :-)

You can also see a geographical path for Hungarian into Romania.
Last edited by DaveBee on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Re: Mountains and languages

Postby Ingaræð » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:34 pm

The last link brings up a Wikipedia article - I'm guessing you mean this map?
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Ingaræð wrote:The last link brings up a Wikipedia article - I'm guessing you mean this map?
Yup. :-) (I've changed the URL to yours)
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 pm

DaveBee wrote:I was just comparing a language family map of europe, one of the roman empire, and a topographic map of europe

If latin survived in Romania, why not in the lands between Romania and the slovene/croation coast? Steep hills! :-)

It did, until the late 19th century. Dalmatian, for instance. While the last person to have knowledge of it wasn't a native, and he hadn't used it for 20 years before acting as an informant, he didn't die until 1898. There's also Istriot, which is still spoken.

While neither of those two are/were Eastern Romance languages (like Romanian), there still are a few others left in that classification as well: Istro-Romanian, Aromanian and Megleno-Romanian. While only one is primarily spoken in the area you're talking about, all but Megleno-Romanian have speakers in Slovenia and Croatia areas.

Sadly, they're all endangered!
Last edited by galaxyrocker on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Postby Longinus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
DaveBee wrote:I was just comparing a language family map of europe, one of the roman empire, and a topographic map of europe

It did, until the late 19th century. Dalmatian, for instance. While the last person to have knowledge of it wasn't a native, and he hadn't used it for 20 years before acting as an informant, he didn't die until 1898. There's also Istriot, which is still spoken.

While neither of those two are/were Eastern Romance languages (like Romanian), there still are a few others left in that classification as well: Istro-Romanian, Aromian and Megleno-Romanian. While only one is primarily spoken in the area you're talking about, all but Megleno-Romanian have speakers in Slovenia and Croatia areas.

Sadly, they're all endangered!

Also there is Aromanian in Macedonia, I have met several native speakers. There are a lot of them in Krushevo in the mountains.
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Longinus wrote:Also there is Aromanian in Macedonia, I have met several native speakers. There are a lot of them in Krushevo in the mountains.

That's what I meant by 'aromian'! Accidentally misspelled it (even after checking to make sure I didn't :oops:). That said, it's cool you've met native speakers. I think it'd be an interesting one to learn. But I'm drawn to minority/smaller/lesser-learned languages for the most part.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Last December I went to Dubrovnik and Montenegro. I never realized before that how awesome it is that Finland is so flat and has trains almost everywhere :D I'm so used to taking daytrips some 50-120 km away but in the Balkans this just doesn't work :shock: My furthest daytrip was from Budva to Podgorica, about 38km as a straight line.
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”