Are Mexican movies popular in Spain, and vice versa?

General discussion about learning languages
AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Are Mexican movies popular in Spain, and vice versa?

Postby AML » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Both Mexico and Spain have pretty big and respected film industries. For those of you that have a good feel for Mexican/Spanish film industries, which of the two countries seems to be more productive in terms of movie making? And which country exports more of their movies to the other country? I.e., are there more Spanish movies in Mexico, or vice versa?
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Are Mexican movies popular in Spain, and vice versa?

Postby reineke » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 pm

2013 Unesco figures

Spain 231 movies
(of which 170 in Spanish and 18 in Catalan)

Mexico 126 movies (of which 113 in Spanish)

Other movie statistics:

https://learnalanguageortwo.blogspot.co ... y.html?m=0
1 x

AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby AML » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:02 pm

reineke wrote:2013 Unesco figures

Spain 231 movies
(of which 170 in Spanish and 18 in Catalan)

Mexico 126 movies (of which 113 in Spanish)

Other movie statistics:

https://learnalanguageortwo.blogspot.co ... y.html?m=0

Do you have a feel for if Mexican movies are popular in Spain, and vice versa? Or is there very little movement of films across the pond between those two countries?
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Welcome to the forum AML! Hopefully, a Spanish/Mexican native can answer your question. As a non-native, I can just tell you what I know from my own observation. I saw a Mexican film at the cinema in Spain several years ago and I saw a Spanish film at the cinema in Mexico City while I was traveling there too. As to whether or not this is done on a regular basis, I can't answer. In my cable TV package, I have two movie channels which show Spanish language films (for the US market) and the programming is split among Spanish, Mexican and Argentine films.
2 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 am

iguanamon wrote:Welcome to the forum AML! Hopefully, a Spanish/Mexican native can answer your question. As a non-native, I can just tell you what I know from my own observation. I saw a Mexican film at the cinema in Spain several years ago and I saw a Spanish film at the cinema in Mexico City while I was traveling there too. As to whether or not this is done on a regular basis, I can't answer. In my cable TV package, I have two movie channels which show Spanish language films (for the US market) and the programming is split among Spanish, Mexican and Argentine films.

I can't answer your question definitively, but having lived in Spain, I hope I can contribute to the discussion. The Spanish are justifiably proud of their film industry, but they definitely do watch Latin American films. I don't know how popular they are exactly. So to answer your question: is it more a case of the occasional hit, like with French cinema in the UK; or is it an all-pervading presence, like American movies, er, everywhere? The impression I had when living there was that it is somewhere in between these two extremes. They also certainly listen to Latin American music quite a lot.

One thing I can say for sure is that the language is not an issue (unlike with dialects of Portuguese from what I have heard). I have seen Mexican films on Spanish TV and they were not dubbed (at least in 2008). To put that into context, the Spanish dub everything.
3 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Random Review wrote:
One thing I can say for sure is that the language is not an issue (unlike with dialects of Portuguese from what I have heard). I have seen Mexican films on Spanish TV and they were not dubbed (at least in 2008). To put that into context, the Spanish dub everything.

I'm not sure which country dubbed them, but you can find Pokemon dubbed in Spanish, and even the very obscure anime Jetter Mars (jet marte) dubbed in Spanish, when most English-speakers have never heard of the latter anime.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:09 am

My experience from having lived in Barcelona for a couple of years is that besides club music (reguetón and the like) there's not much of a presence of Latin American cultural products. I remember there was the occasional telenovela on TV but I can't remember anyone ever talking about them, I feel like they're actually more popular in Eastern Europe than in Spain.

My impression is that the native Anglophone world (i.e. countries where a majority of the population is native English-speaking) is more culturally cohesive than the Hispanic world. And that's not just because of the international prevalence of US media, UK media or even the occasional Australian or Canadian production will often do the rounds in the other Anglophone countries (and then the rest of the world if they get popular enough in the US).
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:17 am

No, Mexican movies are not very popular in Spain. This article from the Mexican newspaper El Universal says that on average, only two Mexican films are screened in Spain each year, and the last one to do really well was Y tu mamá también, which although Mexican, had a Spainsh actress, Maribel Verdú, in one of the leading roles.

It it true that many years ago (end of 1990s, beginning of 2000s) Mexican and other Latin American telenovelas had a certain success, but they were soon replaced by home-made Spanish productions. The only Latin shows that have done well in recent years are Argentinian shows aimed at teenagers, like Patito feo and Violetta.
4 x
Ich grolle nicht

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:23 pm

What about el laberinto del fauno?
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 pm

nooj wrote:What about el laberinto del fauno?

That was an international blockbuster.a single movie.One swallow does not a summer make... I've peeked in the movie section of Foroparalelo and could only see references to US productions, anime, and Asian movies. Admittedly, I only spent 2 minutes there but the OP can look for himself:

http://foroparalelo.com/foro.php

PS Spanish posters tend to curse a lot.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”