Second Life

General discussion about learning languages
YtownPolyglot
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), German (B2), Italian (B1)
On the wishlist: Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch....

Second Life

Postby YtownPolyglot » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 pm

This weekend, a friend of mine mentioned that he chose to learn Portuguese because he had a Brazilian friend on the Second Life website who spoke English well. My friend is a native speaker of English with a joint Spanish and Italian major. I got my BA in French ages ago, and I am also trying to learn Brazilian Portuguese on my own.

Can anybody here tell me more about Second Life and how it might enhance my language learning?
1 x
Native language: English
Other languages: French (C1), Spanish (B3), German (B2), Italian (B1)
Wish list: Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Norwegian....

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: Second Life

Postby Stefan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 pm

It was almost marketed as the real life version of Matrix / Sword Art Online (before SAO existed) but it's basically a traditional (voice) chat in "new" design. You create an avatar and walk around in a digital world where you can talk with people. Sadly it's mostly known here for its controversies and the fact that a Swedish city (Malmö) spent $134000 to create a virtual copy before realising that no one uses it. Here are two videos to give you an idea of what it looks like:

In terms of language learning, you get the chance to talk with native speakers in your target language.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:56 pm

While I was studying languages at distance with the Open University, I volunteered to take part in a study that used Second Life as an alternative for virtual classrooms. I much, much preferred it to the type of virtual classroom we had on the course, but I've never seen any mainstream company try to use it that way.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:15 am

If youʻre interested in exploring Second Life for language learning and practice, I recommend checking out the free weekly community activities scheduled on this useful site: Virtlantis.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”