DIN hypothesis - long L2 input sessions

General discussion about learning languages
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

DIN hypothesis - long L2 input sessions

Postby DaveBee » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 am

Nosing around Reineke's log, I came across a paper on the 'Din Hypothesis', which suggests our brain's language acquisition software kicks in after long sessions of L2 input.
It seems to be the case that the DIN takes a certain amount of time to start up. The case histories suggest it takes at least one to two hours of good input.
Some forum threads have been discussing the wonders of Jane Austen recently, so I'm now considering an L2 Pride and Prejudice marathon this Sunday. :-)
9 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: DIN hypothesis - long L2 input sessions

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:55 am

Neat. I get those a lot when I've listened to something that I've payed attention to, now I know what to call it.
2 x

Finny
Green Belt
Languages: English...

Postby Finny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:12 am

I fully credit listening as the most important part of how I learned Spanish, and right now French - listening to hundreds (thousands?) of hours of radio in the languages. It wasn't the only thing I did or do, but for me, there's nothing that makes a non L1 seem more like my L1 than hearing lots of people speak it while I barely pay attention. :D
4 x

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:31 pm

I have noticed many times after long sessions of Spanish reading and lisening that I start thinking in the language just before going to bed.
4 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:19 pm

long input sessions are not going to help your articulatory organs pronounce your target language more efficiently

most advanced users of English who fail to speak it fluently have problem with not speaking it on a regular basis,
when learning is input-only driven and when the output is writing-based, the result is not satisfactory,
that means, the key to learning a language is> go speak it, and to native speakers, preferredly...
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:03 pm

DaveBee wrote:Nosing around Reineke's log, I came across a paper on the 'Din Hypothesis', which suggests our brain's language acquisition software kicks in after long sessions of L2 input.
It seems to be the case that the DIN takes a certain amount of time to start up. The case histories suggest it takes at least one to two hours of good input.
Some forum threads have been discussing the wonders of Jane Austen recently, so I'm now considering an L2 Pride and Prejudice marathon this Sunday. :-)

The lady who came up with the idea about language din experienced it in immersion environment in Russia.

I've experienced something similar to din only a few times in connection with different language activities. It's possibly an indication that the brain is adjusting to processing large amounts of information. I have been able to listen to a new language (Portuguese) for many hours without any major strain. I may have experienced minor pleasant buzz. I don't know if I could call it din. There's also something called the reading din. Long sessions are good for your language skills (not sure about your circulatory system). You may experience breakthroughs without experiencing din. Keep in mind that Krashen speaks of compelling input. He doesn't quantify any of his theories. In my experience, in order to appreciate just how "massive" your total language exposure needs to be to lead to successful language acquisition, most learners should replace the word "massive" with "epic". Listening helps build a solid foundation in the language. The skill is slow to develop but also resistant to decay. Improved listening skills will help you speak better since, in order to move those articulatory organs into the right position, you need to have an accurate mental image of the sounds and a feeling for the phonetic syntax. You will stretch your working memory in preparation for speaking - the most taxing activity for this type of memory. You will also relieve the pressure that comes from speaking by being able to understand your interlocutor. All this will help you overcome the speaking hump.
Last edited by reineke on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:24 pm

reineke wrote:I've experienced something similar to din only a few times in connection with different language activities. It's possibly an indication that the brain is adjusting to processing large amounts of information. I have been able to listen to a new language (Portuguese) for many hours without any major strain. I may have experienced minor pleasant buzz. I don't know if I could call it din. There's also something called the reading din.
I did a web search for "reading din", and found another paper that describes the required input as 'novel'. You must be encountering something new, something that forces your brain to work.
Dins occur after we perceive novel stimuli: after hearing or reading language containing as yet unacquired vocabulary or syntax, hearing a new melody, after seeing or creating a particularly striking scence, learning a new movement, or developing a new understanding.
4 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:38 am

Voytek wrote:I have noticed many times after long sessions of Spanish reading and lisening that I start thinking in the language just before going to bed.

I've noticed this too. One problem I have is that I get distracted easily and after a short time I start to zone out in my L2. I can read for long periods of time and stay focused but television and audio (podcasts) are mentally exhausting for me if I go for a really long time.
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Return to “General Language Discussion”