Wanderlust Support Group

General discussion about learning languages
coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Re: Wanderlust Support Group

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:55 am

kunsttyv wrote:I'm about to lose it again. Trying to hide away certain books, keep my friends and family close, pretend that the non-Spanish movies on Mubi aren't there, forget about the fact that we have only been dealt limited time in this life to work on languages, or any other vocation for that matter. Eyes on the target, keep to the plan. Relax, there will be a time later. I've heard a healthy diet should help. Some say chewing gum does the trick.

Time, she is fickle. I´d like to learn Czech, partly so that I might speak with my grandmother in her native tongue. All too often, time is bound, not by our own lifespan, but by the lifespan of the ones we love. Perhaps the best we can do is make our dash count and get busy living.
5 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 am

On a different note, I have been veering off into rebel mode. So far this has been contained to German industrial as a quaint warm-up for L2 ES beats. I have to stay clear of laying lazy eyes on the lyrics though. I know where that path leads.
1 x

bpasseri
White Belt
Languages: .
Native: English
Advanced: Spanish, French
Intermediate: Italian, Portuguese
Beginner: Mandarin Chinese
Dabbled: Japanese, Greek, German, Esperanto
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7995

Postby bpasseri » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 am

Arabic
Japanese
Greek
Navajo
Hindi
Sanskrit
Basque
Indonesian
Quechua
Catalan
Tagalog
Turkish

... one day there will be enough time!!! :D
3 x
: 1900 / 2500 ES Books
: 390 / 4500 ES Movies

: 480 / 2500 FR Books
: 90 / 4500 FR Movies

: 0 / 2500 IT Books
: 0 / 4500 IT Movies

: 250 / 2500 PT Books
: 360 / 4500 PT Movies

norgeka
White Belt
Languages: .

Postby norgeka » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

Last edited by norgeka on Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 am

My advice is join the Resistance!

i.e....

• Find a rational objective (a target level for a language or languages for example- my advice is one language, be realistic) and do not waver until you reach this goal.

• stick to it like your life depends on it

• don't budge, don't budge.... do... not.... budge!

• No adding any more languages or goals- it will slow you down! But be kind- you may need to allow a limited amount of 'wanderlust time' or other language(s) maintenance time.

• Be very patient.

• Learn more of your chosen focused language instead of little of more languages. Do you want to be a tourist or someone who can take in the culture (almost?) like a native?

• The less language goals targeted at once, and thus less languages simultaneously studied, the increased likelihood you will reach your goal(s), and you will do so faster the less thinly spread you are.

• The more advanced level reached in a language, the easier maintenance becomes and the chances of that language falling into disrepair become inversely weaker.... and you'll be likely much more efficient with your next language you push to a high level.

join the Resistance!
9 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 am

"Time, she is fickle."

“join the resistance!"

Man, you guys talk like Verdi: "La donna è mobile" (Woman is fickle).
3 x
Non va fatto con molto ciò che si puo fare con poco.
La liberté n'a pas de frontière comme votre curiosité.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm

No amount of cajoling or speaking "sense" to wanderlusters will sway them from their path if that's what they want to do. In fact, the only way that they will see for themselves that it, in all likelihood, will not allow them to advance to a high level in a language is to try it. It will become self-apparent soon enough. I gave up a long time ago trying to talk folks out of wanderlust.

In my almost seven years on the forum (starting at HTLAL), I have yet to see a monolingual adult beginner here who is studying multiple languages simultaneously (at a low level) take any of them to a high advanced level. I'm not saying it's not possible (I'd love to be proven wrong.), just that it's not probable based on my observation. There's nothing wrong with that. Advancing to a high level isn't the only worthy outcome in language-learning, as in life. It's not about he who ends up with the most toys wins. It's what it matters to the individual, that counts. Wanderlusters, you will get no criticism from me... unless you begin to complain about not advancing in a language. Then, I won't coddle you. So, revel in wanderlust! Enjoy it. Own it. Let me read your irrationally exuberant, audacious log! Dream as big as you want to dream. Wanderlust to your heart's content, you're going to anyway! :)
13 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:28 pm

iguanamon wrote:I have yet to see a monolingual adult beginner here who is studying multiple languages simultaneously (at a low level) take any of them to a high advanced level.

Who are the monolingual adult beginners who HAVE reached a high advanced level? Shall we create a hall of fame for them (and others who have accomplished other feats, like the thread Teango created for 6WC winners)?
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 am

smallwhite wrote:
iguanamon wrote:I have yet to see a monolingual adult beginner here who is studying multiple languages simultaneously (at a low level) take any of them to a high advanced level.

Who are the monolingual adult beginners who HAVE reached a high advanced level? Shall we create a hall of fame for them (and others who have accomplished other feats, like the thread Teango created for 6WC winners)?

Presumably, they are no longer monolingual. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:18 am

That's an alarming thought, the possibility that no monolingual adult studying more than one gets to advanced level. Doing two, but I think I've been pretty disciplined about staying to only Finnish and Japanese. Spent a few months in China last year spread over several trips, but mostly I was in China in my hotel studying Japanese, though this just seemed weird at the time. Next few years I plan to stay planted here in the USA.

In a way, just getting to advanced level in Japanese or Finnish alone is pretty rare. I confess, I kind of believe it in my heart, that I'm never going to be advanced, but I feel like I'm creeping up on intermediate in Japanese, at least. It is what it is.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”