How Did You Learn Your First Foreign Language?

General discussion about learning languages
William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Re: How Did You Learn Your First Foreign Language?

Postby William Camden » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:54 pm

IronMike wrote:
Xmmm wrote:
IronMike wrote:T
My "real" first foreign language I learned in the Defense Language Institute in 1986. Seven hours a day of class, four hours a day of homework, for 47 weeks. Brutal. Insert firehose in mouth, turn on water. Incredible. But I left with B2/C1.

The homework was lots of exercises, audio and reading. Loads of it. It literally did take at least 3 hours to complete the homework, then there was studying of words and dialogues. For the first six months, I would go back to my room after PT and dinner and shower, and I'd sit down at 1800 and start studying. I finished everything at 2200. After the first six months, I got faster at doing the homework and studying the words (vocab tests every day) and dialogues. So my homework would take 2-3 hours instead of 4.

Also about halfway through I started dreaming in Russian. That's when I was sure I'd pass the course!

My own learning methods tend to be vocab heavy. How many words were typically tested every day?
0 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:05 pm

William Camden wrote:
IronMike wrote:
Xmmm wrote:
My "real" first foreign language I learned in the Defense Language Institute in 1986. Seven hours a day of class, four hours a day of homework, for 47 weeks. Brutal. Insert firehose in mouth, turn on water. Incredible. But I left with B2/C1.

The homework was lots of exercises, audio and reading. Loads of it. It literally did take at least 3 hours to complete the homework, then there was studying of words and dialogues. For the first six months, I would go back to my room after PT and dinner and shower, and I'd sit down at 1800 and start studying. I finished everything at 2200. After the first six months, I got faster at doing the homework and studying the words (vocab tests every day) and dialogues. So my homework would take 2-3 hours instead of 4.

Also about halfway through I started dreaming in Russian. That's when I was sure I'd pass the course!

My own learning methods tend to be vocab heavy. How many words were typically tested every day?

10-20 as I recall. Granted, that was 30 years ago. :shock:
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:28 pm

IronMike wrote:
William Camden wrote:
IronMike wrote:
Xmmm wrote:

10-20 as I recall. Granted, that was 30 years ago. :shock:

Was this seven days a week, for 47 weeks?
I remember getting 20-word vocabulary tests for French, but once a week. This was in school. 20 words in Spanish as well. For German I did vocabulary from lessons but also created a special notebook for it and worked through a German Vis-Ed box (1,000 cards).
0 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Thru immersion.
0 x

-JM-
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (C2), French (B2)

Postby -JM- » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm not really sure. I went to a course for two years until I got a C2 certificate but not once I took a note during a session or tried to memorize grammar points. I almost never sat down and memorized words yet I know tons of words. I didn't read books either. I watched, still watch a lot of American tv shows. I guess they helped me the most.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:49 pm

William Camden wrote:Was this seven days a week, for 47 weeks?
I remember getting 20-word vocabulary tests for French, but once a week. This was in school. 20 words in Spanish as well. For German I did vocabulary from lessons but also created a special notebook for it and worked through a German Vis-Ed box (1,000 cards).

Oh dear God no. M-F, federal holidays off. Plus Christmas break and if the middle of your course wasn't during Christmas, then you got a one-week break at some point.
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

katarinaantalya
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), French (once upon a time C1, less now), Swedish (B2 but literate), Estonian (deep in love), Spanish (solo travels with occasional awkwardness), Danish/Norwegian (with a Swedish accent), Russian (just a touch), Catalan (lost somewhere along the way)

Postby katarinaantalya » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Barring the two years of Spanish in middle school, where I believe I got all the way to the incredibly high level skill of adjective agreement, my first language was self-taught. I started to teach myself German when I was 14, due to having a German-speaking best friend, and persevered through countless Duolingo lessons and grammar workbook explanations of the tiny details. While I would say that it was hard to start like that, I doubt I would have ever achieved a level anywhere near where I have (TestDaF 4x5, ~C1) if I had begun in class. I don't think that classes tend to provide the level of motivation that doing it yourself does, and are more apt to make one hate a language previously adored. Plus, once you pass a test or something, knowing it was all you, you feel pretty damn good.
3 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Xenops wrote:Is it normal for polyglots to take a class for their first language, and then branch out from there? Or do some pick up a German book at age seven and pour over it? How did you guys learn your first foreign language?

I'm rather ashamed to say that out of all the languages I've tried to learn (and it's been about 11 languages), the only ones I've actually succeeded to learn to a functional degree are the ones for which I took classes. :( My parents forced 9-year-old me to attend English classes after school, and it worked (I might've reached B2 in the span of three years). I took a French course in high school and then a slew of French courses for 2.5 years at university, and that also worked wonderfully. I've been trying to teach myself Mandarin for ~10 years, and I haven't managed to learn that much... It seems I need some sort of pressure and dread to learn a language, but I haven't forced myself to learn other languages.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:46 pm

I learned English both through regular school and through a private school, but none of them taught me to actually speak English. I finished the whole course from an English school at around a B1 level. I learned further just through chatting and reading and writing in forums. When I had my first (and unsuccessful) incursion into language learning, I had no idea my English was so lacking and I had no idea how to improve it either. As for French, even though I also took classes on it, I consider I actually learned it self-taught.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Return to “General Language Discussion”