Android language keyboards question (help)

General discussion about learning languages
outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Android language keyboards question (help)

Postby outcast » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:45 pm

I got a new phone but unlike my old one, the built-in keyboard's language toggler only permits up to four languages. I downloaded one called "Multiling Keyboard" which allows up to 8 keyboards. But when I turned the language keyboards for my languages on, there was no auto-correction since I also needed to download the dictionaries. I did this, but when I tried typing with Pinyin I only would get one character, or maybe two in the input box and that is all. Normally I can just type Pinyin sentences and see the characters build up and like that write whole chunks, but this is not happening with this new keyboard app. Actually my second app, and both have the same situation.

This means I have to type one character, or a two-word character, stop typing and choosing what I want in the input to send it to the message box I am typing, then type another word and stop typing again, choosing what I want... like this. Obviously it is terribly inefficient to text like this, to the point it renders the app useless if I can't find a way to be able to type long Pinyin phrases and have the app display the sequence of characters predicting what I want to say.

If anyone understands what I mean and knows a bit about input methods, is there a way to adjust this setting or do something?
0 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Android language keyboards question (help)

Postby rdearman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 pm

outcast wrote:I got a new phone but unlike my old one, the built-in keyboard's language toggler only permits up to four languages. I downloaded one called "Multiling Keyboard" which allows up to 8 keyboards. But when I turned the language keyboards for my languages on, there was no auto-correction since I also needed to download the dictionaries. I did this, but when I tried typing with Pinyin I only would get one character, or maybe two in the input box and that is all. Normally I can just type Pinyin sentences and see the characters build up and like that write whole chunks, but this is not happening with this new keyboard app. Actually my second app, and both have the same situation.

This means I have to type one character, or a two-word character, stop typing and choosing what I want in the input to send it to the message box I am typing, then type another word and stop typing again, choosing what I want... like this. Obviously it is terribly inefficient to text like this, to the point it renders the app useless if I can't find a way to be able to type long Pinyin phrases and have the app display the sequence of characters predicting what I want to say.

If anyone understands what I mean and knows a bit about input methods, is there a way to adjust this setting or do something?

I just download the Google Pinyin keyboard. For other keyboards I have installed them and if you long press on the space bar in any of these it will pop up a dialogue which allows you to select a different keyboard. So basically when I'm using hellotalk for example and want to switch between the English/Pinyin keyboard to French or Italian, I just long press, pick the correct one and off I go. The associated auto-correction is already turned on.

Hope that helps.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”