Learning methods with courses like Assimil? (Mainly remembering and being able to use what you learn in dialogs)

General discussion about learning languages
tx2005
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Learning methods with courses like Assimil? (Mainly remembering and being able to use what you learn in dialogs)

Postby tx2005 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:52 pm

I recently started my Spanish journey for about the 4th time. I reconize various words and remember the basics of conjugation from high school 15 years ago, but otherwise I'm a beginner. I have a few resources I'm using to attempt to find the best study method for me.

-Assimil
-FSI Programmatic (FSI Basic looks way too intimidating at my level)
-SpanishPod101 (I'm doing a trial and I'm imprsssed with the huge amount of content)
-Anki for vocab
-Duolingo just because it's free and easy to do a quick lesson

All of that said I'm not sure the best way to retain material outside of vocabulary. The dialogues and basic grammar I've seen makes sense when I read it, but I sure wouldn't be able to make sentences or hold conversations in person if needed using what I've learned so far. Any tips or suggestions on how best to retain the info you get from courses beyond vocabulary?

Also, I do plan to get a language learning log posted and my profile updated tonight. I work nights and wanted to get this post out before heading to bed. Thanks for any and all advice/suggestions.
1 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Re: Learning methods with courses like Assimil? (Mainly remembering and being able to use what you learn in dialogs)

Postby Tomás » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Any method that you can stick with is a good one. Motivation and persistence are 95% of success in language learning. Intelligence, literacy, and educational level are the other 5%. The method you use is really not that important, so long as you can stick with it for the long term. This is a multi-year project no matter what method you use.
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Learning methods with courses like Assimil? (Mainly remembering and being able to use what you learn in dialogs)

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:14 pm

I'd suggest you join the Spanish study group on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5035

I'd also suggest you have a browse around the Spanish available resources: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5377

As previously explained persistence is the key. I would also suggest you get yourself some books in Spanish and find a TV series in Spanish and read and watch, then do it again, rinse, lather, repeat.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28 pm

tx2005 wrote:... I'm not sure the best way to retain material outside of vocabulary. The dialogues and basic grammar I've seen makes sense when I read it, but I sure wouldn't be able to make sentences or hold conversations in person if needed using what I've learned so far. Any tips or suggestions on how best to retain the info you get from courses beyond vocabulary?...

First, welcome to the forum, tx2005! To build on the good advice already given, in order to retain what you are learning you have to start using it outside of "course world". You can do this by writing and speaking even when you are alone. Try to formulate thoughts in Spanish by saying to yourself- "how would I say this in Spanish?". Then, talk to yourself. You won't get any feedback this way but it will set you on a path to using the language. You can write down dialog sentences and check them against your courses, google and linguee, for example.

You can write for correction on lang-8. This is a site where you can write brief texts (a paragraph or two) in your TL (Target Language) and get correction from native-speakers of Spanish. It helps to correct Spanish-speakers' English. In this way, as a good corrector yourself, you can cultivate a group of people who will also be helpful to you. You can even make virtual friends and it could possibly lead to a language exchange.

There are professional tutors available in Guatemala for $10 US an hour via skype. Even once a week, or once every two weeks, practice conversing with a tutor will be a huge boost to your Spanish. Two Guatemalan schools with skype tutors are plqe.org and nulengua. Tutors, in my experience are best used for conversation and correction- grammar and pronunciation especially. Free language exchanges are also available if you look for them online- though native-speakers are less likely to be able to explain why something may be wrong, they just know. Also have a look at my post in the link below this post in the signature block.

I started the Spanish Group here on the forum for people like yourself. You can ask anything and Spanish-learners/speakers will help you.

¡Suerte con tus estudios!
Last edited by iguanamon on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:12 pm

If this is the 4th time you try to learn spanish, I would suggest that you also analize the reasons why you didn't continue before.

For me the most important aspect to continue is that I enjoy the learning process. If I don't enjoy the way I'm studying and interacting with the language, then I skip study for days, weeks or even months.

For me it is important to have an open mind and keep analizing and adjusting the way I study until it becomes smooth and I really enjoy the process (and even then, I set checkpoints in time to analize and revise the way I'm studying so I can decide If I should continue the same or if I should make some changes to my resources or methods).

I would also suggest that you start interacting with native material as soon as possible: you may listen to songs or even watch TV with subs, but paying attention to the sounds of the language. This will provide a good amount of context and associations that will make it easier to remember all of what you are studying and learning.

¡Mucho ánimo con tus estudios!
¡Hay muchas cosas interesantes para hacer en español! ;)
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AK47
White Belt
Languages: English (N) , Russian (N), Spanish (B2), Italian (Beginner)
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... =15&t=5242

Postby AK47 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:11 am

+1 for native material ASAP, considering it's your 4th time around. Lots of reading, you'll absorb vocabulary without trying if you're reading interesting things. You can start with dual language books right now. A kindle is a great investment due to the built in dictionary feature, saves tons of time looking things up so you can spend more time reading. Good luck
1 x
SC: ES : 48 / 100 Books SC: IT : 7 / 100 Books
SC: ES : 38 / 100 Films SC: IT : 16 / 100 Films

Return to “General Language Discussion”