Buying French Novels

General discussion about learning languages
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Buying French Novels

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
Amazon.com seems to have the most limited SEARCH facilities. You can try entering "French" in their Search window and limiting the search to BOOKS.

I'm unsure of where you get this. I honestly find Amazon one of the easiest to search because you can sort by books they have marked as French! All you have to do is go to the 'Books' section, scroll down until you find languages, and click 'French' (you can also toggle more than one language). This gives you all the books they have labeled as French. Sure, there's self-published stuff and Google translated books, but for a language like French, it's likely they'll be drowned out by good books they have. You can also sort by category too, and they include Kindle. Sure, it's not a lot, but 2.3 million is more than enough, and, even counting out bad ones (Google Translate), there's still likely to be over a million or more. I've used this often to find Irish books, and if it can work for Irish, it can work for French, I'm sure.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:
Amazon.com seems to have the most limited SEARCH facilities. You can try entering "French" in their Search window and limiting the search to BOOKS.

I'm unsure of where you get this. I honestly find Amazon one of the easiest to search because you can sort by books they have marked as French! All you have to do is go to the 'Books' section, scroll down until you find languages, and click 'French' (you can also toggle more than one language). This gives you all the books they have labeled as French. Sure, there's self-published stuff and Google translated books, but for a language like French, it's likely they'll be drowned out by good books they have. You can also sort by category too, and they include Kindle. Sure, it's not a lot, but 2.3 million is more than enough, and, even counting out bad ones (Google Translate), there's still likely to be over a million or more. I've used this often to find Irish books, and if it can work for Irish, it can work for French, I'm sure.

If you click the drop down to "books" and type "French edition", hit search, then click the filter on the left for french language, you currently get over 1.2 million books in French. You can then additionally filter by format (kindle/paperback), and then further by category (biography, children's, medical, sci-fi, etc). You can also use the drop down on the top right to sort by price, relevance, or popularity.

Having other shopping options is great, but I honestly find it pretty hard to believe that anyone would run out of books to read from Amazon.com. It is true they might not have the exact thing you want, or all the new and shiny, but what does an avid reader usually read? 40-60 books a year? If you can't find 100-500 good choices out of a million, you might be a little too picky :)
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

YtownPolyglot
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), German (B2), Italian (B1)
On the wishlist: Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch....

Postby YtownPolyglot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 pm

If you've got a specific title in mind, Barnes and Noble's site is not bad for French fiction.
1 x
Native language: English
Other languages: French (C1), Spanish (B3), German (B2), Italian (B1)
Wish list: Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Norwegian....

Return to “General Language Discussion”