Polybark (multilingual dog commands)

General discussion about learning languages
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Multilingual dog commands

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:00 pm

vogeltje wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:It occurs to me that multilingual dog commands should be called multidoggerel. :roll:

:)

or multiwoof

polybark

Multiwoof is good but I really like polybark! :D
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:46 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:It occurs to me that multilingual dog commands should be called multidoggerel. :roll:

:)

or multiwoof

polybark

Multiwoof is good but I really like polybark! :D

I've changed the thread's name :)

can you play the violin? or don't you mean the violin (fiddle?)
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:59 pm

vogeltje wrote:can you play the violin? or don't you mean the violin (fiddle?)

No, I don't play the violin. I play the guitar some, but not well. :oops:
Mord Fiddle is the first character who appears in the Icelandic saga The Story of Burnt Njal (also known as Njals Saga), one of my favorite pieces of literature, and which begins, "There was a man named Mord whose surname was Fiddle . . ." (from the Dasent translation: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17919/17919-h/17919-h.htm.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
vogeltje wrote:can you play the violin? or don't you mean the violin (fiddle?)

No, I don't play the violin. I play the guitar some, but not well. :oops:
Mord Fiddle is the first character who appears in the Icelandic saga The Story of Burnt Njal (also known as Njals Saga), one of my favorite pieces of literature, and which begins, "There was a man named Mord whose surname was Fiddle . . ." (from the Dasent translation: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17919/17919-h/17919-h.htm.

I didn't know that Fiddle was a surname as well. I love the violin :)

Have you got a dog?
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Re: Polybark (multilingual dog commands)

Postby Tomás » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:42 pm

What's the command for: "Don't eat out of the cat box or destroy any furniture while I'm gone"?
3 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Tomás wrote:What's the command for: "Don't eat out of the cat box or destroy any furniture while I'm gone"?

in which langauge (human)?

I can't say becuase I haven't got a cat haha.

what type of dog have you got? Obvioulsy a naughty one.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:25 am

Tomás wrote:What's the command for: "Don't eat out of the cat box or destroy any furniture while I'm gone"?

That's not a cat box, it's a snack bar.

I still call it that sometimes...
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 am

Also: "If the cat barfs on a library book, please god don't chew up the cover!" It cost me $80 to replace the book the last time that happened.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:06 pm

vogeltje wrote:

Have you got a dog?

Come to think of it, "surname" is inaccurate, because Icelanders did not (and still do not) have surnames. The original word is "gígja," and it's really a nickname. And no, no dog, though I had one as a small boy. I, too, like the violin (and the fiddle as well :) ). I listened to Vilde Frang play in person just the other day.
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
vogeltje wrote:

Have you got a dog?

Come to think of it, "surname" is inaccurate, because Icelanders did not (and still do not) have surnames. The original word is "gígja," and it's really a nickname. And no, no dog, though I had one as a small boy. I, too, like the violin (and the fiddle as well :) ). I listened to Vilde Frang play in person just the other day.

Vilde Frang is great and she has a very energetic bow technique haha It's not my favourite intrsument, but nearly.

Weird that Icelanders havne't got surnames. How does it work in Iceland?
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”