Polybark (multilingual dog commands)

General discussion about learning languages
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Multilingual dog commands

Postby Josquin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:34 pm

vogeltje wrote:Weird that Icelanders havne't got surnames. How does it work in Iceland?

They have patronyms (father's names) instead. So the son of Egill will be called Egilsson (son of Egill), a daughter would be called Egilsdottir (daughter of Egill). Women don't change their name when they marry and the Icelandic telephone book is sorted according to first names! Also, Icelanders only adress each other with their given names, because it doesn't make any sense to say: "Hello, Mr. 'Son of Egil'". Not surprisingly, there is no formal "you" in Icelandic although it used to exist while Iceland still was a Danish colony.
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: Multilingual dog commands

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Josquin wrote:
vogeltje wrote:Weird that Icelanders havne't got surnames. How does it work in Iceland?

They have patronyms (father's names) instead. So the son of Egill will be called Egilsson (son of Egill), a daughter would be called Egilsdottir (daughter of Egill). Women don't change their name when they marry and the Icelandic telephone book is sorted according to first names! Also, Icelanders only adress each other with their given names, because it doesn't make any sense to say: "Hello, Mr. 'Son of Egil'". Not surprisingly, there is no formal "you" in Icelandic although it used to exist while Iceland still was a Danish colony.

Interesting :) thanks for explaining.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Return to “General Language Discussion”