tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Slow language learning vs language hacking

Postby tarvos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:39 am

smallwhite wrote:Some methods that people use are just so plainly wrong! Rosetta Stone comes to mind though I've never seen it myself. I've told yous before about my friend as an example of why I'd want to offer advice to people. And then there's this Hongkonger who decided to re-study English as an adult because he had slacked at school, spent 4 hours every day this time round for 2 years using a certain method he read on the Internet, yet didn't feel much improvement, could still only read simple articles and could not understand children's audiobooks. This guy was actually asking for advice, but I mean, if a friend says to you, "btw, I've been re-learning English, I've spent 2920 hours, I've hardly improved and I can still barely understand Wikipedia in Simple English...", how would you react? I would want to yell something at him. Swear words, sympathy, advice, I don't know. Something.

你应该变你的方法。 我觉得你可以学习学的更好。你想听我的推荐吗?

Something like that, but with less terrible grammar. :D
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:03 am

smallwhite wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Haha. I don't think I'd want to yell something. I'd want to ask what he's been doing! Out of interest, do you know the answer to that question?

I'm expressive :mrgreen: He said 2 hours of transcribing slow VOA and 2 hours of reading both easy and hard material. Other things as well, but I don't know the details or if the activities have changed over the 2 years.

Two hours a day of transcribing sounds like a slog to me - I'd want a bit more variety. But you'd expect some results with that and the reading. Surely he must have been pretty good at listening to VOA after two years! What's your diagnosis and treatment plan, smallwhite? Did you actually give this person some advice? This guy was asking for advice on a forum?
0 x

YtownPolyglot
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), German (B2), Italian (B1)
On the wishlist: Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch....

Postby YtownPolyglot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:06 pm

No matter which language you choose or which language you start from, learning a new language will take some effort. Some people don't want to do what it takes. Persistence tends to pay off.

Next, language learning is not a race. I am not as interested in learning a language quickly as I am in learning it well. I accept that learning a language well will take time.
4 x
Native language: English
Other languages: French (C1), Spanish (B3), German (B2), Italian (B1)
Wish list: Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Norwegian....

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:30 am

Adrianslont wrote:Two hours a day of transcribing sounds like a slog to me - I'd want a bit more variety. But you'd expect some results with that and the reading. Surely he must have been pretty good at listening to VOA after two years! What's your diagnosis and treatment plan, smallwhite? Did you actually give this person some advice? This guy was asking for advice on a forum?

That's all I can tell you about that person, but other Hongkongers are more or less the same - they only know about boring, painful, hardcore study methods. So there's a loooot of room for suggestions.

But no one asks me for suggestions although everyone knows I speak N languages. They believe I have language talent and they don't.

tarvos wrote:你应该变你的方法。 我觉得你可以学习学的更好。你想听我的推荐吗?

That's not terrible grammar at all.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:35 am

smallwhite wrote:Some methods that people use are just so plainly wrong! Rosetta Stone comes to mind though I've never seen it myself. I've told yous before about my friend as an example of why I'd want to offer advice to people. And then there's this Hongkonger who decided to re-study English as an adult because he had slacked at school, spent 4 hours every day this time round for 2 years using a certain method he read on the Internet, yet didn't feel much improvement, could still only read simple articles and could not understand children's audiobooks. This guy was actually asking for advice, but I mean, if a friend says to you, "btw, I've been re-learning English, I've spent 2920 hours, I've hardly improved and I can still barely understand Wikipedia in Simple English...", how would you react? I would want to yell something at him. Swear words, sympathy, advice, I don't know. Something.

I'm sorry smallwhite but I'm not so interested in the content of your post so much as the 'yous' sticking out like a sore thumb. Why are you using it?

On another note, well done on completing your Dutch days! If only you had a log in which I could write such things.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I'm sorry smallwhite but I'm not so interested in the content of your post so much as the 'yous' sticking out like a sore thumb. Why are you using it?

What do you mean why? I learned it in Australia! I even checked the dictionary, which is why I know it's spelt "yous" although it's pronounced "youz" ;) But if it sounds awkward to you then maybe I learned it in NZ...

PeterMollenburg wrote:On another note, well done on completing your Dutch days! If only you had a log in which I could write such things.

Thank you :P I reached my goal (B2) a bit earlier than planned so I'm pleased, but I'll keep studying it because I love it and I have to keep tempting you :twisted:
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 am

smallwhite wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Two hours a day of transcribing sounds like a slog to me - I'd want a bit more variety. But you'd expect some results with that and the reading. Surely he must have been pretty good at listening to VOA after two years! What's your diagnosis and treatment plan, smallwhite? Did you actually give this person some advice? This guy was asking for advice on a forum?

That's all I can tell you about that person, but other Hongkongers are more or less the same - they only know about boring, painful, hardcore study methods. So there's a loooot of room for suggestions.

But no one asks me for suggestions although everyone knows I speak N languages. They believe I have language talent and they don't.

tarvos wrote:你应该变你的方法。 我觉得你可以学习学的更好。你想听我的推荐吗?

That's not terrible grammar at all.

Heh. Then I do remember some of my Mandarin. :p
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 am

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I'm sorry smallwhite but I'm not so interested in the content of your post so much as the 'yous' sticking out like a sore thumb. Why are you using it?

What do you mean why? I learned it in Australia! I even checked the dictionary, which is why I know it's spelt "yous" although it's pronounced "youz" ;) But if it sounds awkward to you then maybe I learned it in NZ...

If you keep company with the likes of Kath and Kim then 'yous' is perfectly acceptable. If you don't, then it's likely to be frowned upon, if not out loud, then quietly. Despite it being in the dictionary, I don't think it's great form.

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:On another note, well done on completing your Dutch days! If only you had a log in which I could write such things.

Thank you :P I reached my goal (B2) a bit earlier than planned so I'm pleased, but I'll keep studying it because I love it and I have to keep tempting you :twisted:

Awesome work! Where's your log at? :? I have some catching up to do! Although I doubt I'll catch you, Miss Efficient elle même (I mean that nicely). I want to learn Dutch like last year already, but for now French has me securely under her spell, easy courses an' all!
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
smallwhite wrote:

If you keep company with the likes of Kath and Kim then 'yous' is perfectly acceptable. If you don't, then it's likely to be frowned upon, if not out loud, then quietly. Despite it being in the dictionary, I don't think it's great form.

smallwhite wrote:

Awesome work! Where's your log at? :? I have some catching up to do! Although I doubt I'll catch you, Miss Efficient elle même (I mean that nicely). I want to learn Dutch like last year already, but for now French has me securely under her spell, easy courses an' all!

The Macquarie Dictionary actually spells it "youse" although I have certainly seen "yous". Either way, it's usually a spoken form, definitively colloquial and non standard and one that will stigmatise you in many contexts. Careful where you use it smallwhite. I wouldn't use it in the workplace unless your workplace is a building site or factory floor or similar. Used judiciously it can be endearing - I smiled when I first saw you use it here - but we are amongst friends here.
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:If you keep company with the likes of Kath and Kim then 'yous' is perfectly acceptable. If you don't, then it's likely to be frowned upon, if not out loud, then quietly. Despite it being in the dictionary, I don't think it's great form.

Thanks for telling me! To me it just sounds childish. A lot of our American members do their "y'all" thing so I thought I'd do my "yous" thing :mrgreen:

PeterMollenburg wrote:Awesome work! Where's your log at? :? I have some catching up to do! Although I doubt I'll catch you, Miss Efficient elle même (I mean that nicely). I want to learn Dutch like last year already, but for now French has me securely under her spell, easy courses an' all!

It takes me forever to type a post so I'd better not keep a log, or else I'd have no time to study :roll: French's spell is really potent. I didn't particularly like French or France when I studied it, but still I enjoyed the textbooks and the learning process a lot.

Adrianslont wrote:The Macquarie Dictionary actually spells it "youse" although I have certainly seen "yous". Either way, it's usually a spoken form, definitively colloquial and non standard and one that will stigmatise you in many contexts. Careful where you use it smallwhite. I wouldn't use it in the workplace unless your workplace is a building site or factory floor or similar. Used judiciously it can be endearing - I smiled when I first saw you use it here - but we are amongst friends here.

Thank you also, Adrianslont. I say yous in real life :oops: but not too often, I hope. I'll quit!
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”