How many different phonemes do you know in all languages?

General discussion about learning languages
verbling
White Belt
Languages: Speak: Spanish(N) Studies: English(Beginner),Chinese(Beginner)

How many different phonemes do you know in all languages?

Postby verbling » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Do you consciously concentrate and learn how to pronounce new sounds, especially vowels, or do you do it by feel?

Until a few years ago, I used to rely exclusively on my ears. I have always stressed the importance of creating a link between the sound and the corresponding word. I find it very useful to read and listen, especially at the beginning. Once this link is established, I only need to hear the sound, without having to read the text. Starting to produce those sounds myself “closes the circle”, thus providing the last piece of information I need in order to finally “hear” what I wasn’t able to hear before by simply listening.

Recently, however, I started to approach pronunciation and intonation more methodically. The language which I paid more attention to in terms of pronunciation is Chinese. It was the first time that I worked on pronunciation in a conscious, pragmatic way, and that’s where the idea of my “Phonetic Analysis” :)
1 x

YtownPolyglot
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), German (B2), Italian (B1)
On the wishlist: Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch....

Re: How many different phonemes do you know in all languages?

Postby YtownPolyglot » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:18 pm

I've never sat down and thought about it before, but I suppose it is something I do by feel. When I started French and Spanish, I was in classroom situations where we weren't able to see what we were hearing until we had tried to say it. Particularly in French, there was a fear that we would have a tough time connecting written French and spoken French.

Many of the phonemes in German were close enough to English that this wasn't such a problem. Not only that, French had given me a head start with ö and ü.
0 x
Native language: English
Other languages: French (C1), Spanish (B3), German (B2), Italian (B1)
Wish list: Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Norwegian....

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:34 pm

I recently started teaching my kids English reading with a program that specifically teaches mouth movement by phoneme. I think we work with 24 consonant sounds and 21 other sounds that are the vowels and r changed sounds etc.

For French, most of the consonants are similar but the tongue placement is slightly different. The vowels are all rather different. I don't think I have the fortitude to go through and count/compare but I have started paying attention to this lately and at some point I would like to build a mimic of the English based LiPS program with French sounds.

The Russian course I am doing starts with a study of phonemes. I love it :) Could count later today or maybe someone knows how many phonemes Russian has.

And then there is Finnish, where I have nothing under control yet. I am just going on feel for the phonology at this point but I really do like the method of studying phonemes and mouth movement first. I would choose it as a method every time now if I could find appropriate resources.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 pm

I think I can do pretty much all of the common phonemes, except some of the weird uvular and pharyngeal noises you have in Arabic. Can't do clicks well either.

It's more intonation that I really have to work on. Sometimes hearing the slight vowel differences such as in Czech is a nightmare.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “General Language Discussion”