Can anyone identify these languages?

General discussion about learning languages
NormInAZ
Languages: English (N), Esperanto, Spanish

Can anyone identify these languages?

Postby NormInAZ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Recently I stumbled upon a bizarre website known as forgottenlanguages-full.forgottenlanguages.org written in a multitude of strange languages. I first tried to use Google Translate but, while it thought it recognized some of them, it failed to provide any sensible translations. Looking up individual words and sentences only led back to the site itself. I did some research and it appears that they specialize in extinct and otherwise obscure languages. Can someone identify any of them? The Chinese writings look promising but I've never studied it.
0 x

Alphathon
Orange Belt
Languages: • Scottish English (native)
• German (intermediate; ≈B1)
• Scottish Gaelic (beginner)
• Dutch (beginner)
◦ Doric Scots (passive understanding; I can’t really speak it)
◦ Hopefully some day: NDS/FY, SV, GA, CY, BR?, BSL, ES, FR?, ZH, JA, KO, ≥1 Slavic (RU?, PL/CZ?)

Re: Can anyone identify these languages?

Postby Alphathon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:11 pm

I had a quick look.

The post currently on the home page (by Naoed, dated 6 February 2017) looks superficially like some form of Irish/Gaelic orthographically, although I cannot decipher it (not that that necessarily means much as I can barely read any standard Scottish Gaelic let alone Modern Irish, Classical Gaelic/Irish, Old Irish etc). If it is a Goidelic language the combination of acute and grave accents implies that it isn't modern Irish and probably not Modern Scottish Gaelic either. There are a number of free-standing y characters though, which AFAIK is a letter not used in any form of Gaelic (possibly outside of loanwords; the exception to that would be Manx but Manx doesn't look like that as it uses a different orthography, based mostly English & Welsh I think.) However, looking at that user's other posts reveals that they are all of a similar form and the first post includes a bibliography, listing "Brennan, Martin. The Stones of Time, Calendars, Sundials, and Stone Chambers of Ancient Ireland, Inner Traditions International, Rochester, Vermont, 1994" and "Matthews, John. Taliesin, Shamanism and the Bardic Mysteries in Britain and Ireland, Aquarian Press, London, 1991". These seem to suggest that it is indeed Old Irish or similar. That said, one of their other posts has some text as an image which seems to be Tengwar, so it might well be Elvish written in Latin script.

The second post (by Thadryl, also dated 6 February) has typed text in Japanese Hiragana and then two similar pictures with text in Korean and Chinese characters respectively. I have no idea of what any of them say, if anything.

I've no idea about the next post, but the fourth looks to me like a Romance language. The fifth looks very much like Welsh (with all those Ys and Ws; there are also a lot of stand-alone instances of yr, which I believe is a Welsh definite article). I've no clue about the next few, but the post by Larynne 3 February looks like Vietnamese to me (although GT can't understand it if it is) and the one on 3 February by Yael is in Hebrew script (I don't think it's Yiddish, which implies it's some form of Hebrew, but I could be wrong). After that there's one in Chinese characters, one in some form of Arabic script and one in Cyrillic. The one on 1 February by Aynel is in Hirigana again and Google translate has no issue translating most of it into semi-intelligible English.

I should stress that I have little to no knowledge about any of these languages so these are just my best guesses.
Last edited by Alphathon on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
German/Deutsch
Der kleine Hobbit: 6 / 19
Star Trek - Das nächste Jahrhundert: 25 / 178
Scottish Gaelic/Gàidhlig
Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks: 9 / 12
Speaking Our Language, Series 2: 7 / 18
Dutch/Nederlands
Duolingo: 37 / 64

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Both of the hiragana texts from February are meaningless as a whole (at least, if they are assumed to be Japanese or other languages that have some likelihood of being written in hiragana, like Okinawan or Ainu), though the second one has plenty of false positives that make sense in isolation, like いいね, はな and いてから. What's more, the hangul text on the picture underneath the first hiragana text appeas to be a (very loose) transliteration of the latter. The Cyrillic text struck me immediately as a form of Mandarin, which made me immediately suspect Dungan, but plenty of characters used don't belong in the Dungan alphabet (қ, ғ, һ) and those that do are sometimes used in ways not permissible in Mandarin phonology (consonant clusters!), not to mention the use of tone-like diacritics, which is really not typical of written Dungan outside dictionaries. All in all the texts strike me as either simply someone having a bit of fun with plausible-looking "texts in obscure languages", experiments in conlangs, or complicated ciphers.
0 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 pm

The original version of this site was discussed a bit in the old HTLAL forum, and indeed initially brought up by myself:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=7&TPN=2

It was also discussed in a lengthy (the word is inadequate!) thread here:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread958299/pg1

I don't know whether any "outsider" has to date made any sense out of it, or whether trying to understand it is worth the effort, but it does seem to have attracted a fair bit of interest on the net on occasion.
4 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:32 pm

The first page I clicked on was all about helping UFO abductees deal with their trauma. Based on this & the HTLAL discussion, I'm thinking it's some new age psuedo-conlang for angels, vampires, and aliens.

It also might just be a joke.
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:09 am

I'm also inclined to see this homepage as something of a joke. The Romance looking language is the one I would be most likely to recognize, but I've never seen anything like it - and besides: if you really wanted to get proposals for the identity of a language and you had a whole book in that language, wouldn't you help people by given some details about that book? Here the bookname is given as "Seinel de la Norse" (more fragments here), but there is no discernable influence from any known Germanic language, least of all Old Norse. Instead the sound and certain words seem to indicate that the inventor has some knowledge about Ancient French and maybe also Occitan, but chose to make an meaningless travesty vaguely resembling those languages.

But actually there isn't any reason to think alot about the identity of these 'languages': the thread at HTLAL mentioned by Daristani contains two messages from a person claiming to be the co-admin of the page, and they state that the texts represent something called antilanguage whose stated purpose is not to communicate.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”