That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

General discussion about learning languages
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Postby blaurebell » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:03 pm

rdearman wrote:So how many hours do you estimate you spent doing the reading part of the super challenge? Because the vocabulary estimate just means the number of hours required to learn the words, the method is irrelevant. Was it near my 450 estimate and do you think you knew 13000 distinct words at the end of it?

As I said above, it took me 330h. And yes, I believe I had exposure to that amount roughly. It's hard to tell because of all the different word forms. The main difference is that with reading I had exposure to sentences from native content though with a broader context and grammar. If you had 13,000 sentences in your deck it would be similar, although you still won't know whether the words you're learning are actually relevant to your future needs. In any case, whatever works for you! I just wouldn't be able to keep up 450h of SRS. Reading for 330h is how I would like to spend my time anyway.
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “General Language Discussion”