What is your favorite part of language learning?

General discussion about learning languages
User avatar
rlnv
Orange Belt
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:07 pm
Location: USA
Languages: English (N), French
x 331

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby rlnv » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:22 am

Reading French books, watching French shows, and doing my daily Anki reps. I love doing Anki cards, I must be nuts.
2 x
Output Challenge 17 - Writing 50,000 Words : 1324 / 50000
Grammar and Writing Skills - 5 Workbooks : 0 / 5
SC 16/17 (Double) - Reading 2,500,000 Words : 1135000 / 2500000
SC 16/17 (Double) - Watching 300 Hours : 175 / 300

moo
x 151

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby moo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:24 am

rlnv wrote:Reading French books, watching French shows, and doing my daily Anki reps. I love doing Anki cards, I must be nuts.


No French music??
1 x

User avatar
rlnv
Orange Belt
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:07 pm
Location: USA
Languages: English (N), French
x 331

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby rlnv » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:26 am

moo wrote:
rlnv wrote:Reading French books, watching French shows, and doing my daily Anki reps. I love doing Anki cards, I must be nuts.


No French music??


You are absolutely correct. :) I don't know how I forgot it. I have a bunch of French vinyl records that I've been collecting, I love listening them almost daily.
2 x
Output Challenge 17 - Writing 50,000 Words : 1324 / 50000
Grammar and Writing Skills - 5 Workbooks : 0 / 5
SC 16/17 (Double) - Reading 2,500,000 Words : 1135000 / 2500000
SC 16/17 (Double) - Watching 300 Hours : 175 / 300

moo
x 151

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby moo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:27 am

rlnv wrote:
moo wrote:
rlnv wrote:Reading French books, watching French shows, and doing my daily Anki reps. I love doing Anki cards, I must be nuts.


No French music??


You are absolutely correct. :) I don't know how I forgot it. I have a bunch of French vinyl records that I've been collecting, I love listening them almost daily.


:)
1 x

User avatar
tomgosse
Blue Belt
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Languages: English (Native)
French (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185
x 1619
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby tomgosse » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:15 pm

moo wrote:No French music??

You are absolutely correct. :) I don't know how I forgot it. I have a bunch of French vinyl records that I've been collecting, I love listening them almost daily.

:)
Here is a playlist of French music from the 1930's. Chansons françaises des années 30. I like them because the lyrics are easy to understand.

Here are more links to French music:
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs
: 1 / 52 French In Action:

moo
x 151

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby moo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:29 pm

tomgosse wrote:
moo wrote:No French music??

You are absolutely correct. :) I don't know how I forgot it. I have a bunch of French vinyl records that I've been collecting, I love listening them almost daily.

:)
Here is a playlist of French music from the 1930's. Chansons françaises des années 30. I like them because the lyrics are easy to understand.

Here are more links to French music:


Cool !! :) I'll have a look soon :)
1 x

User avatar
Zegpoddle
White Belt
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:29 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A1), Russian (beginner), Spanish (beginner). Used to be C1 in French and B2 in German, but deteriorated from years of disuse. Don't let that happen to you!
x 47

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby Zegpoddle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm

There are three favorite parts for me:

(1) Discovering that I have a different personality in other languages. A little freaky and unsettling at first, but so liberating and mind-expanding. We all contain multitudes, but while we speak our mother tongue, those alter-egos are hidden from us. Learning additional languages is a key that unlocks the door to let some of our parallel selves emerge. (I guess illegal drugs can do that, too, but less safely and without any feeling of accomplishment.)

(2) Reaching the point where you can read a book in a second language you've learned and the pure beauty of the language sends shivers of pleasure through you. "This would lose everything in translation," you realize, and it's true. I can't bear to read anything by Jean Cocteau or Joseph Roth in English because I know what I am missing: 90% of what makes their prose so magical.

(3) Fetishistically caressing the latest language textbooks and CDs I've spent too much money on, but haven't yet started using, and fantasizing about all the time I'm going to have in the future to use them. If half the fun of a trip is in the planning, at least seven-eighths of the fun of buying language study materials is dreaming about the distant day I'll actually open them and learn something.
3 x
---------------
Burn the politeness. After the paunch comes the dance.
(José da Fonseca and Pedro Carolinho, English As She Is Spoke, 1855)

User avatar
arthaey
Blue Belt
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Languages: EN (N); ES (adv receptive, int productive); FR (false beginner); DE (lapsed beg); ASL (lapsed beg)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread
x 1177
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby arthaey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Zegpoddle wrote:(3) Fetishistically caressing the latest language textbooks and CDs I've spent too much money on, but haven't yet started using, and fantasizing about all the time I'm going to have in the future to use them. If half the fun of a trip is in the planning, at least seven-eighths of the fun of buying language study materials is dreaming about the distant day I'll actually open them and learn something.

I agree with all your points, but this one really speaks to me. :)
2 x
Log links: TimelineASLFrenchSpanish.
Anki catchup: due: 394 / 2204 new: 0 / 1664

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Posts: 543
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am
Languages: French (N), Russian (int)
x 943

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby Arnaud » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm

I like the beginning, when I discover the grammar and the inner logic of the language, and when I try to imitate the audio tracks of my courses. Imitate is the most funny part for me. I'm rather good at that game (well, that's what I think, because when I listen to my voice-recorder I've sometimes bad surprises, but it's the same pleasure as singing).
Also I like the high level, when I can read or watch anything without problems.
What I don't like is acquiring vocabulary. Boring, repetitive and frustrating especially because I don't have a good memory.
3 x

garyb
Blue Belt
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm
Location: Scotland
Languages: English (N)
French (advanced), Italian (advanced)
Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855
x 1673
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby garyb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Going to the country and using it (especially speaking, but also just understanding what I'm hearing and seeing around me), as it makes me feel like all my effort has been worthwhile. Using it in my own country doesn't quite have the same satisfaction as it can feel a bit contrived knowing they we could just use English like they do with the other locals, although it's still fun and it's a means to an end.
3 x


Return to “General Language Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests