What is your favorite part of language learning?

General discussion about learning languages
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:06 pm

I love the magic feeling of just first figuring out native materials, even if it's only catching a word or a phrase here and there, and then the process of understanding more and more each time you encounter the language. Kind of like Cavesa said, the end of the first season or second half of the first book, when it all starts to click (less fun is a bit after that, when you know enough to be picky but aren't familiar with what's out there in the TL, but that's not about the learning process).

I'm much less a fan of the early stages, and I don't particularly like learning either grammar or vocab - in an ideal world, I'd learn everything by pure immersion in things I'm interested in. :lol:
4 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 pm

the one where I speak the language and people are confused because I am not supposed to do that and they are more confused because I am using words they don't understand in their own native tongue better than them :D

mostly just when I'm intermediate, I hate the level where I can half figure out what's going on but don't know enough words. As a beginner I don't really care, I can overcome the beginner stage fairly quickly nowadays.
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 am

For me, it's all about laughter. When I'm listening to native materials and I understand enough for something to make me laugh, I'm happy. :)

It all boils down to what others have said, really. Those moments where you realise that you really understand something which at one point would have been completely foreign are just magic!
3 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:31 am

tarvos wrote:the one where I speak the language and people are confused because I am not supposed to do that and they are more confused because I am using words they don't understand in their own native tongue better than them :D

mostly just when I'm intermediate, I hate the level where I can half figure out what's going on but don't know enough words. As a beginner I don't really care, I can overcome the beginner stage fairly quickly nowadays.

Your favourite part of language learning is confusing native speakers by using words they don't understand in their own native language better than them? It's a good job you're a girl, because guys with that kind of attitude tend to get beaten up a lot where I come from.

Edit: reading it back, I realise that sounds a bit like a threat, to be clear, I'm not saying I would be threatening to beat you up if you were a guy (I wouldn't); I'm just pointing out what would probably happen to you if you tried pulling that stuff as a guy. Sooner or later you'd do it to the wrong person.
0 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Random Review wrote:
tarvos wrote:the one where I speak the language and people are confused because I am not supposed to do that and they are more confused because I am using words they don't understand in their own native tongue better than them :D

Your favourite part of language learning is confusing native speakers by using words they don't understand in their own native language better than them? It's a good job you're a girl, because guys with that kind of attitude tend to get beaten up a lot where I come from.

Edit: reading it back, I realise that sounds a bit like a threat, to be clear, I'm not saying I would be threatening to beat you up if you were a guy (I wouldn't); I'm just pointing out what would probably happen to you if you tried pulling that stuff as a guy. Sooner or later you'd do it to the wrong person.

I'm not quite sure you understood I was being tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley :p
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:03 pm

tarvos wrote:
Random Review wrote:

I'm not quite sure you understood I was being tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley :p

Oh. I'm an idiot, sorry. I thought you were serious and was pretty shocked. :oops:
1 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I love when people realise that you understand and starts speaking to you in their normal register. Also, the surprise on some people's faces when I answer them in a certain accent/language. Apparently one is not supposed to be able to do several things.

Other than that, being able to explore the culture from the inside etc. is one of my favorite things as well.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Another thing you've just reminded me of: I love having the same troubles as the natives. For example understanding people with dysphasias. Those patients really level the ground.
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:18 pm

I love the puzzle of language at the beginning stage, figuring out how the pieces work together. That satisfying "aha!" feeling when I understand.

At the intermediate stage, I love the ability to connect with people in their native language, especially as an American since they (not incorrectly) expect me to have… um, attitudes about non-English. ;) Most people I've met have seemed genuinely pleased that I'm even trying, and so my intermediate abilities to hold a conversation are enough for that connection.

At the advanced stage, I love the treasure trove of new content available to me: books, movies, TV, music, magazines, news, podcasts. I love seeing the world from a different perspective.
6 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

moo

Postby moo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:04 pm

THanks everyone for sharing with me and i loved reading your replies
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”