I can't learn a language! vs I am a slow learner!

General discussion about learning languages
jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Re: I can't learn a language! vs I am a slow learner!

Postby jsega » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 pm

vogeltje wrote:hello leosmith (aka jsega)

I've seen posts by leosmith. I'm not sure why you're relating him to me. :roll:
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:19 pm

jsega wrote:

Because you are leosmith.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:25 pm

vogeltje wrote:
jsega wrote:

Putting aside that the site admin can easily disprove that, do tell why you think this.

And why would he need to post under another name.....
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:29 pm

jsega wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
jsega wrote:

Putting aside that the site admin can easily disprove that, do tell why you think this.

Because you are leosmith and you know that you are.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:31 pm

jsega wrote:And why would he need to post under another name.....

you have got many names, jega is one example like wulfgar, hua hua, big dog, lance, leosmith etc
0 x

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:40 pm

vogeltje wrote:
jsega wrote:And why would he need to post under another name.....

you have got many names, jega is one example like wulfgar, hua hua, big dog, lance, leosmith etc

The myth, the legend, leosmiiiiith. I guess I've gone full Tyler Durden. Explains why I haven't gotten a good night sleep in a while.

I think we've gone off topic enough here though.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:47 pm

jsega wrote:
The myth, the legend, leosmiiiiith.

Yourself you mean. Not a myth not a legend, just a nasty man.

jsega wrote: I guess I've gone full Tyler Durden. Explains why I haven't gotten a good night sleep in a while.

?

jsega wrote: I think we've gone off topic enough here though.

No
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:47 pm

smallwhite wrote:I still don't mean to discuss whether it's ok to want to learn slowly. My question is still about us as advice-givers, why is it ok to not encourage others to learn faster, or why don't we actively encourage others to learn faster. Kind of like, Christians think being christian is great, so they actively go around and encourage other people to become Christians. Why don't we do it like that? I feel bad letting friends go to language hell and not doing anything.

Why try to pressure someone into something though? I mean what you've talked about throughout this thread does sound at least a little like proselytization (which certainly not all religions or religious people participate in) which, well in my view isn't actually respectful to the other person. That will very quickly turn me off from a person especially when I am their target (in regards to religion and to an extent other things). There have been times in this thread where I've thought to myself, "ok she has far too much invested in this and it's not actually healthy or useful to anyone." I will admit that the "not healthy" bit is perhaps a stretch but really what are you getting out of this preoccupation?

I do understand that it seems that you just want to help people and see people succeed, but I think that you're going about it in the wrong way. There is no use in continuously thinking in your head, "if only X person did Y thing." without considering a number of reasons why they might not be doing what they're doing or not able to do what you deem best. If the person wants advice then sure, give them advice. If they aren't looking for advice and you are not their teacher then don't give them advice.

Are there other things that people should be given unsolicited advice on? Yes. But I can't think of many of those things that fall into the realm of language learning.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:51 pm

smallwhite wrote:When people say they can't learn a language, we say that's not true, I can so so can you.
When people say they can learn but they are a slow learner, we say that's possible, everyone's different.

Why the difference in our responses? Why don't we say to the first person: it's possible you can't learn a language, everyone's different?

Of course the first person doesn't mean he can't learn any French at all; he probably already knows 3 phrases, and if he can learn 3, he can learn 30 and so on. So it's really a spectrum: the first person learns very slowly, the second person learns slowly, and then there's a fast learner.

Then why the difference in our responses? Why don't we say to the second person: that's not true, you can learn fast, too, I can so so can you?

I think that, as humans, generally we are very supportive of each other. The first question posed suggests that the person is simply not able to learn a language, therefore the automated response would be one of support, encouraging the person in question that it is indeed just as possible for them to learn a language.
The second does not suggest incapability as such, therefore it is not necessary to offer anymore support. They have already accepted that they can do the task in question, just they doubt the pace at which they will be able to reach said goal.

I realise that a quicker pace may indeed take excitement out of some tasks, but I do not think Smallwhite was suggesting that we all should learn as quickly as possible, more that some people may not realise it's a possibility. In language learning, I did not realise there were means of doing this when I started, I would just read bits and pieces, find generic sites with phrases and try to learn them. SRS was an amazing discovery for me, and it has definitely sped up my language learning. Does this take enjoyment out of it for me? No. I get to feel progress, and it allows me to reach certain aspects of language learning that I find more enjoyable. Would I want to optimise my time and efficiency in other hobbies? Yes. I do not believe this takes the enjoyment out of it.
I personally like to optimise my time as much as possible, even within my hobbies and activities that I find fun. I love riding my bike, mostly street, and although I enjoy learning new tricks on my own, if someone were to offer me tips on how to learn whatever trick it may be in a quicker fashion, I wold be definitely take them up on it and listen to any advice offered. Similar could be said for gym goers, even simple "tricks" such as working opposing muscle groups after one another to increase muscle growth.

I personally did not see anywhere in this post where Smallwhite was suggesting everyone should want to learn as quickly as possibly, merely that a lot of people may not be aware that there are ways of doing this that one may not be aware of. I may well be wrong. That was my understanding.
2 x

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:59 pm

vogeltje wrote:
jsega wrote:
The myth, the legend, leosmiiiiith.

Yourself you mean. Not a myth not a legend, just a nasty man.

jsega wrote: I guess I've gone full Tyler Durden. Explains why I haven't gotten a good night sleep in a while.

?

jsega wrote: I think we've gone off topic enough here though.

No

It's more than a little strange that you're, for lack of a better term, accusing me of being this person. It has no basis in reality and it's just really awkward.

No, I'm not leosmith nor do I know what your issue with him is (or me now for that matter) but I frankly don't care. Nothing else to say on this.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”