Are we too dependent on technology?

General discussion about learning languages
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: Are we too dependent on technology?

Postby Ogrim » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Maybe it is because of my age, but I cannot imagine using apps to start learning a new language. For me, the physical course book, the dictionary and the grammar book are musts. By all means, I love the opportunities technology brings, but I still use it for pretty traditional activities. E-books are great when they have pop-up dictionaries. Things like Youtube (and internet in general) give you access to movies, documentaries, news programmes and entertainment from all over the world. Tablets with inbuilt keyboards for multiple languages makes it much easier to write in your TL etc. Still all these are things I would do in the past, only with different, less efficient tools and with much less access to e.g. newspapers or TV from far-away countries.

galaxyrocker wrote:I think in some ways we have. Like, we're so used to technology being able to solve the majority of our problems completely, that when it comes to language learning inexperienced learners go in thinking that "Hey, technology is all I need to be fluent," which leads them to hopping from app to app when one doesn't work. But, as mentioned before, the same was likely true before technology, with students flitting from book to book.

To some extent I agree, but I think that in the pre-internet age people were more patient and had a longer attention span. Traditional course books taught me to learn patiently, spending many hours on one lesson before moving on to the next. I am talking about books with lot of text and few illustrations, not some of the glossy stuff you can find today. Besides, books cost money, so you would normally think twice before forking out on a lot of different courses. With modern technology the desire for instant gratification becomes more and more common, I see that in my teenage kids, when they want something they want it NOW. So if one thing (app) does not give immediate satisfaction, they move on to another. And that I think is one of the biggest dangers with modern technology in relation to language learning, you just can't learn a new language in NO time assuming that it is all going to be just fun, fun, fun. And you also won't learn efficiently if you get distracted all the time by notifications from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and what have you.
0 x
Ich grolle nicht

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:13 pm

For funsies:

0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Re: Are we too dependant on technology?

Postby jsega » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Cainntear wrote:His argument about "peak innovation" is, in my opinion, misguided.

If you have a look at the history of commercial computer language products, innovation has historically been very slow. In the early PC days, we had flashcard-type programs, we had Transparent Language (I think) with their passages/dialogues and wordlists, and we had Rosetta Stone.

Since then, the most common copied form is the flashcards, and they made a massive comeback with the rise of mobile phones.

During the nineties and noughties, aside from flashcards, Transparent Language's model was the one most copied (and also sublicensed to other brands).

LiveMocha (2007) was the first major internet language brand, and it was essentially a Rosetta Stone clone.

LingQ appeared the same year, and then along came LWT and Readlang. Nothing in any of the sites was completely new -- it was essentially a packaging of existing theories and practices into one application. But that in itself is still innovative, in a sense.

DuoLingo (2011) was something fairly different, even if it is overly simplistic.

Since then we've only had one straight clone of DuoLingo (Mondly).
The next most similar site is LanguageZen, one of the most recent sites. It finally embodies an idea that really seems patently obvious: let the learner choose target texts (in their case songs) and teach learners everything they're going to need in order to be able to understand it. I say it's patently obvious, but that doesn't mean that actually doing it isn't innovative -- we all know that we'll have flying cars in the future, but the first person to make a working prototype will still be an innovator.

Then we can look a little bit back to Lingvist.io, and their idea of generating a course from a corpus of texts. They're not the only people to think about this (several of us are actually discussing ideas about how to achieve this elsewhere on this forum) but again, they've put it into action (even if their actual course is an uninspiring and slightly confusing variation on flashcards).

I would say that innovation is currently increasing in the language learning space, and that innovation is starting to become more mature, with people increasingly building on what has previously been done, rather than trying to create an entirely new and completely different panacea for language learners. (In fact, a perfect example of this is the guys who sometimes post here talking about their projects to convert FSI and DLI materials into fully digital resources.)

The flip side of the coin is that as the barrier to entry to the market has dropped, it has resulted in the creation of a lot of low quality "me too" products, most of which are designed to be as quick and cheap to make as possible.

Your main idea toward the end, to stop reinventing the wheel and start scaffolding improvements on top of what is already proven to work, is the most obvious strategy for progress and yet the hardest thing to achieve in what must be every field (software engineering being the first thing to come to my mind).
4 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm

jsega wrote:Your main idea toward the end, to stop reinventing the wheel and start scaffolding improvements on top of what is already proven to work, is the most obvious strategy for progress and yet the hardest thing to achieve in what must be every field (software engineering being the first thing to come to my mind).

But it is happening, and LanguageZen is a great example. One of the most direct improvements they've made over DuoLingo is the way they use timing. If you use the "timed practice" option in DuoLingo, you end up avoiding looking at your mistakes, because the clock's still ticking while you do so, so learning from your mistakes is disincentivised. LanguageZen instead sets the timer for a single task only, and you get bonus points for finishing faster; when you get it wrong, you get the correct answer and plenty of time to read it. Quicker practice is therefore encouraged, but not at a cost to learning and attention.

Anyway, on a different note, we're about to start relying on technology even more (I believe this idea was discussed briefly on HTLAL a few years ago:

>shudder<

Note that the device in the video is specifically set up to stimulate the motor cortex only, so it's not a language aid (although it could be at some level, as obviously there is a reasonable amount of motor learning required in picking up a new language with a new accent). I'm sure that some of the "neurohacker" types out there will be buying these things and then making extension cables and straps to let them stick the electrodes on different parts of their heads (although I think the guy who is happy to connect a standard 9v battery to his head would balk at the price tag....)
2 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm probably as guilty as the average person on this forum regarding getting too reliant on technology. But we should at least be aware that this reliance is likely to affect our memories, creativity and ability to improvise in a negative way. This may not be a big deal if all you want to do is read and listen, but when it comes to production the best stuff comes out without training wheels.
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:50 pm

bela_lugosi wrote:You can most certainly learn a foreign language without any iThis or appThat. Actually the modern technological innovations might even be detrimental to our language learning abilities. I firmly believe that the only way to learn a language is to communicate - doing that online is simply not the same thing as doing it IRL. Heck, I do not own a smartphone, and I'm doing just fine, probably even better than most of the people I know (who have been enslaved by their smartphones, cars, and such). I bet I have more free time to dedicate to language studies which means I study more efficiently + Facebook, instant messages, and stupid games do not interrupt my studies every two seconds. ;)

I think the overall impacts of technology are getting to the border of the rules of the forum perhaps. I'd say nothing is either bad or good. Actually, today's technology is helping us improve what we've messed up with the previous technology, and making things less harmful is actually a real trend in the evolution now.

While I agree I could in general learn without a particular app or most of them, I disagree that the technology is bringing us more harm than profit. Without technology, without internet, without movie streaming, withing ebooks, without wordlists for SRS, without lots of such stuff, I would have certainly failed at learning languages. It is nice to idealistically say that the real in person conversation is the best and the traditional paper+CD courses are the most efficient. I cannot disagree. But sometimes you just don't have the people around, especially when you decide to learn a different language than most people in your area. The classic resources don't usually go too far either, at least when you leave the safe area of the one or two most popular langauges in your country. Without the technology, I would be mostly dependent on the content of czech bookstores. Can you imagine that? Good luck finding resources for an exotic langauge. And forget about media in the langauge. Those times are still surviving in the naive widely spread idea that teachers are actually the best source of real resources and the best medium of contact with the culture. It dates back to the days in which it was the only resource.

Really, I remember learning French in the Czech Republic during those times before the internet boom, therefore sometime around 2000. French, not Xhosa or Welsh or Ainu! And it was already a problem. Spanish was totally exotic back then, I cannot imagine whether people were learning Chinese in other settings than at the university. And don't forget that the flood of gadgets and apps and websites has as well made way for lots of cheap or free stuff. In the Middle Ages, a noble could have learnt a foreign langauge. These days, even quite a poor person can.

I agree you need to get rid of the training wheels at some points. And thanks to internet and various resources there and various tools, I can. Without skype and everything, people never get rid of the worst training wheels of them all: a teacher.

It is all about how we use it all. It is not Facebook or a stupid game, what interrupts my studies. It is my weak will. It is not a bad app, that is slowng me down. I am no longer a newbie in language learning, no excuses for me, it is a well disguised laziness slowing me down. (which is why I have seriously left duolingo for now. Normally, it is a usefull collection of exercises. Recently it has become basically an excuse not to open a real course).

And we cannot blame smarphones for stupidity. Before that, there was television. Before that, there have been other stupid things. The only difference is that stupid lazy people were usually likely to die quite soon in past. Now they don't, the world is much safer.

Really, I am not actually annoyed about the flood of low quality resources. Basically, quality is more likely to appear somewhere in the quantity than on a desert. What I hate is false advertising, and the language app business is full of it.
10 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 am

Yeah, let's focus on language learning and not the overall effects of technology, and wrt "stupid lazy people" let's do our best to avoid being ableist and judgemental. (this applies to many posts in this thread)

Facebook can be used productively too, for getting L2 texts of varying length, often with pictures and memes; for making friends with native speakers of your L2, for playing games in L2 too. The many humorous and thoughtful posts can help you cope and become the change you'd like to see - and it's okay if these posts are in your L1 or English. (especially if there are monolingual people or learners of your L1 among your friends)
I do wish there were serious alternatives to what FB offers, though.
5 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:07 am

This thread reminds me of the centuries of complaints about how the younger generations are "corrupting" language because of XYZ. I also find the whole thing ironic given that this is being asked and the original blog post was written via social networking (yes I would consider a forum a social network)/new media.
8 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:15 am

aokoye wrote:I also find the whole thing ironic given that this is being asked and the original blog post was written via social networking (yes I would consider a forum a social network)/new media.

I always find such arguments thin. Would this not mean that an alcoholic should not give advice regarding alcohol consumption, a fat overweight person should not give advice on nutrition, or a drug addict on drug addiction etc etc. Sometimes those people who have dealth with the extremes or lived through the troubles in one particular area of life and are possibly still going through them are the best to provide advice. If we should not discuss technology being potentially negative for us, none of us would be able to comment.
2 x

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby jsega » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
aokoye wrote:I also find the whole thing ironic given that this is being asked and the original blog post was written via social networking (yes I would consider a forum a social network)/new media.

I always find such arguments thin. Would this not mean that an alcoholic should not give advice regarding alcohol consumption, a fat overweight person should not give advice on nutrition, or a drug addict on drug addiction etc etc. Sometimes those people who have dealth with the extremes or lived through the troubles in one particular area of life and are possibly still going through them are the best to provide advice. If we should not discuss technology being potentially negative for us, none of us would be able to comment.

Definitely good for everyone to be aware of the dangers and pitfalls. I just can't help but picture stone age nomads being concerned about the potential dangers of living somewhere permanently, disconnected villages worried about the dangers of banding together into kingdoms which gives more people the ability to become academics who won't have proper farming skills, etc.

Basically, I think this whole ''progress'' thing is mostly out of our control at this point for better or worse. Some pay more attention to it than others. I suppose it's like how some actors never watch the movies they star in :lol:
4 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

Return to “General Language Discussion”