A language with most sounds nasalised.

General discussion about learning languages
Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: A language with most sounds nasalised.

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 am

Hindi? I've read that the nasalisation doesn't outnumber though. To my ears Asian languages have always sounded quite nasalised, but I don't know if they really are or if it's something else.
0 x

jsmith12
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), French (A1)

Postby jsmith12 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Hindi? I've read that the nasalisation doesn't outnumber though. To my ears Asian languages have always sounded quite nasalised, but I don't know if they really are or if it's something else.

"Asian languages" is too large and diverse a category to be useful considering that there are over a dozen language families represented in Asia. I assume that Mandarin Chinese is the archetypical "Asian Language," and it actually contains the same nasal phonemes as English. I don't know if they occur more frequently. Mandarin contains many retroflex and palatal phonemes, and I would guess that is what you hear as nasal.

Korean is the same as Chinese and English, in terms of nasals, and Japanese is very similar. Vietnamese has one extra (the same as ñ in Spanish), but I would guess that the retroflex and palatal sounds are more distinctive.
5 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:36 pm

jsmith12 wrote:
Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Hindi? I've read that the nasalisation doesn't outnumber though. To my ears Asian languages have always sounded quite nasalised, but I don't know if they really are or if it's something else.

"Asian languages" is too large and diverse a category to be useful considering that there are over a dozen language families represented in Asia.

I just wanted to second this especially given that Hindi is an indo-european language.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:58 pm

jsmith12 wrote:

"Asian languages" is too large and diverse a category to be useful considering that there are over a dozen language families represented in Asia. I assume that Mandarin Chinese is the archetypical "Asian Language," and it actually contains the same nasal phonemes as English. I don't know if they occur more frequently. Mandarin contains many retroflex and palatal phonemes, and I would guess that is what you hear as nasal.

Korean is the same as Chinese and English, in terms of nasals, and Japanese is very similar. Vietnamese has one extra (the same as ñ in Spanish), but I would guess that the retroflex and palatal sounds are more distinctive.

Well, you're likely right. Thank you for explaining.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”