Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Concurrent reading and listening

Postby Voytek » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:05 am

Is this more effctive for you than just listening or reading?

Personally, I find it a bit distracting because many times I encouner sentences where I must stop to read it slower to fully comprehend it or at least understand it a bit better than without doing this.
Last edited by Voytek on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Re: Concurrent reading and listening

Postby Tomás » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:42 pm

I have tried this. It's similar to having subtitles turned on while watching a movie or tv show. For me, I can always read much better than I can listen, and so reading takes over. I am committed now to separating R practice from L practice, because for me the L suffers when I do L-R.
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:45 pm

I find it's most effective when a) I need to learn how to pronounce diphthongs and other odd clusters, b) doing it extensively - that is, not focusing on understanding every sentence but rather just getting the rhythm in my head, c) when the language isn't really pronounced how it's written. With that said, the last point for me is especially important and it shows because I did a lot of French L/R, plan on doing it for Russian, but didn't do any for Italian or Spanish and only a little in German because I was low on listening materials.

At later stages, I do find it is kind of hindering however as I'd rather just read whatever I want without worrying about the accompanying audiobook or watch whatever I want. Once you know the pronunciation and feel comfortable reading, I would personally stop there. But L/R is great for up until that point.
4 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't like reading and listening at the same time. A year ago I watched about 70 episodes of a TV show in my L2 with subtitles. Before I began my listening was pretty bad, but towards the end I had definitely made some progreses. Being able to hear a word spoken and see it written on the screen in the form of subtitles really does allow you to make connections between the spoken and written word. Often times at a lower level you will come across a word that you understand on paper, but when you hear it you don't understand it. When you listen while reading subtitles you definitely begin to make sense of some of those hard to understand words.

But, I only think this helps up to a certain point. After a while you definitely reach a point where you rely too much on reading and you stop forcing yourself to listen. This probably happens from day 1 but if your comprehension is really bad you probably benefit from reading/listening even though it is not efficient. At my current level, I don't watch TV with subtitles....I force myself to listen. If I do some intensive work I will watch a show and only look at subtitles to see what things I missed, but I never rely on them to understand the show.

In the past I tried listening to an audio book while reading along. It wasn't for me. I feel like at the time when I did it, either my reading or listening was better than the other and reading along with the speaker was just very hard. As a matter of fact, I think I ran into the problem you described where I would have to reread a sentence to make sense of it.

Some people might disagree with me but a conclusion I have come to that at least applies to me is:

If you can't read something on paper, then you will not be able to understand it when the same sentence is spoken.

Keep in mind that this only applies to languages that are written the same way they sound (such as Spanish which I am currently learning), and obviously wouldn't apply to somebody who is illiterate (since many people speak a language fluently but don't know how to read). But for somebody who is learning a language, knows how to read and write and works on those skills, then I think my statement holds true. When we read we have plenty of time to analyze things, look at verb conjugations, reread the sentence, etc. So if you have trouble reading then the listening will probably be even harder.
Last edited by NoManches on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Voytek
Green Belt
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:55 pm

I`m using listening and reading now, at very low (but still natual) speed of listening and with a very simple text, to get to know better the mechanics of Swedish (the ortography, syntax and phonetix).

What`s your ratio, guys, for listening and reading input?

Mine is 70:30 (L:R - Spanish) now and I wonder if I should make it opposite.
0 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Voytek wrote:I`m using listening and reading now, at very low (but still natual) speed of listening and with a very simple text, to get to know better the mechanics of Swedish (the ortography, syntax and phonetix).

What`s your ratio, guys, for listening and reading input?

Mine is 70:30 (L:R - Spanish) now and I wonder if I should make it opposite.

I would say 70:30 is good. If I could go back in time I would make listening my number 1 priority. I recommend this post as well (it often gets referenced on this site because it is so valuable):

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... ?TID=26634

I really think listening and reading go hand in hand. Instead of reading and listening at the same time, have you thought about reading and THEN listening (or vice versa)? It seems to me that you have an audio book or some type of audio with a script. Doing both at the same time might be annoying, but doing one followed by the other might be a good way of improving your weaker skill.

Going back to your 70-30 ratio which I said is good: You have to remember that a lot of people think reading is the best way to pick up new vocabulary. For me, I have a really hard time learning new vocabulary through listening (it happens but it is harder for some reason). Depending on your level, maybe your ratio could be closer to 60-40 or even 50-50. I just think a lot of people skip listening and in the end they run into some problems and really suffer to improve it (I'm one of those people :oops: ). If you want to better understand and get used to the Swedish language, I would say doing tons and tons of extensive reading would do the trick.

Keep in mind though that I'm not an expert and I only have experience learning one language.
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

Voytek
Green Belt
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Yes, it`s a good point to read a text and then listen to the audio because reading helps you to comprehend things better on your own pace and grab some words and than listening cements it.

Personally, I use only audio (without the transcription) which I can understand at least at 90% and if I don`t I pass to another stuff. I think that when you`re listening your TL this way you`ve got a great opportunity to consoilidate what you`ve already learnt, especially when you are able to listen to the radio at this level (90%<), and you do it very fast because in the radio they rather speak faster. I don`t watch movies at all beacuse I consider this as time wasting, there`s much less words per minute than in a radio program or a podcast. Some may say that there`s a visual context in movies which helps but I`ve encountered many times a context which were irrelevant to the sentences, sometimes even it was really confusing.
Last edited by Voytek on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:00 pm

NoManches wrote:I really think listening and reading go hand in hand. Instead of reading and listening at the same time, have you thought about reading and THEN listening (or vice versa)? It seems to me that you have an audio book or some type of audio with a script. Doing both at the same time might be annoying, but doing one followed by the other might be a good way of improving your weaker skill.

I have done this--read a TV show's transcript, and then watched it. You could also read a book, and then later listen to the audio book. I think it's a useful training wheel for developing listening. For me, it was better than simultaneous L-R.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Voytek wrote:Is this more effctive for you than just listening or reading?

Personally, I find it a bit distracting because many times I encouner sentences where I must stop to read it slower to fully comprehend it or at least understand it a bit better than without doing this.

Chang & Millett (2013) found that it had a strong positive effect on students' listening skill. However, their study meant doing more listening alongside reading in time that would usually be spent doing reading alone, and they didn't note whether this had had any effect on their reading competence.
(Chang, A.C and Millett, S. (2013) The effect of extensive listening on developing L2 listening fluency: some hard evidence. ELT Journal.)

I personally feel it's a useful technique, but one I don't have a habit of using. It draws my attention to things I might not otherwise have noticing in the spoken audio, helping my notice them next time.
2 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:35 am

Tomás wrote:
NoManches wrote:I really think listening and reading go hand in hand. Instead of reading and listening at the same time, have you thought about reading and THEN listening (or vice versa)? It seems to me that you have an audio book or some type of audio with a script. Doing both at the same time might be annoying, but doing one followed by the other might be a good way of improving your weaker skill.

I have done this--read a TV show's transcript, and then watched it. You could also read a book, and then later listen to the audio book. I think it's a useful training wheel for developing listening. For me, it was better than simultaneous L-R.

I've thought about doing this with movies (maybe not the whole script but skimming through it looking for a few dozen unknown words). Unfortunately I can't find subtitles for any of my favorite shows in Spanish.

I will start reading a book today that I have been running to (I have the audio version as well). It is a really easy book so it should count as extensive reading while making the audio a bit easier to understand

Thanks for the idea!
Last edited by NoManches on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

Return to “General Language Discussion”