What tools are useful in language learning?

General discussion about learning languages
Lyngle

What tools are useful in language learning?

Postby Lyngle » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:30 pm

I am conducting research on what tools/methodologies people find useful in language learning. This is not to promote any existing tool/app, neither is it any kind of advertisement. Anyone filling out the survey has the ability to see summary results of all prior responses.

https://goo.gl/forms/EXNJzOwcLRZKrX9S2
Thank you for participating!
0 x

larissaboyer
Languages: English,Malayalam,Hindi

Re: What tools are useful in language learning?

Postby larissaboyer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:00 am

There are a large number of online tools that can be used for second/foreign language learning and teaching. Internet based language instruction can be defined as language teaching conducted on the Internet using Internet tools and resources. Based on their main functions and features, the online tools are classified into twelve categories.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:02 pm

...and those twelve cathegories are?
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:28 pm

The looked interesting, until you lost me at question 1. :-D I'd need to check two langauges there. Just kidding, I could choose one, even though not sure which one.

But the question "My preferred language learning method is " stopped me. My preferred language learning method is learning on my own with high quality resources, most of which are not digital (until during the 0 to B1 phase, which is the same stage of learning most apps are for). Really, self-study doesn't need avoiding serious learning resources, like grammar books or coursebooks.

And any question with "Other" option would need at least three or four "other" lines.

"The "other" language learning apps need to be more", that is a wrongly asked question. The "other" apps are not worse than those you've listed, actually all of the apps have some shortcomings. And neither of the things I usually leave apps (including 6 apps from your list) for was listed. In general, apps need to be more thorough, serious, more detailed, more useful, more advanced. They are usually so learner friendly they forget they should be primarily teaching something.

The rest of the questions would be ok, but I suppose you'll get very similar responses from people on this forum or in similar communities :-)

P.S. I would be interested in the twelve categories too :-)
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”