Recommended tablets and e-readers

General discussion about learning languages
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Re: Recommended tablets and e-readers

Postby DaveBee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Doitsujin wrote:Check the firmware version of your Kindle, before you register it. If it's 5.6.5 (or less) it's relatively easy to install a jailbreak that'll allow you to install a better PDF app, KOReader, which also supports epub books.
My local (UK) library has begun offering eBooks with some Adobe DRM security added. I don't think these are compatible with the Kindles.

List of compatible programs/devices on Adobe website.

EDIT
Wikipedia has an eReaders comparison article, which includes a 'library DRM compatible' column.
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:07 pm

DaveBee wrote:My local (UK) library has begun offering eBooks with some Adobe DRM security added. I don't think these are compatible with the Kindles.
Unfortunately, Kindles don't support Adobe ADEPT DRM, but the DRM methods used by Adobe (and Amazon) can be easily removed with an unofficial Calibre plugin, and there's usually hardly any formatting loss if you convert between the Kindle azw3 and epub formats.
BTW, you could also read Adobe ADEPT DRM protected library books on your PC or Android phones and tablets.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Doitsujin wrote:
DaveBee wrote:My local (UK) library has begun offering eBooks with some Adobe DRM security added. I don't think these are compatible with the Kindles.

BTW, you could also read Adobe ADEPT DRM protected library books on your PC or Android phones and tablets.
Sure, but this thread is about the pros/cons of particular eReaders. Library DRM seems to me an important use case.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Onyx also made an eInk smartphone. Not sure if it's still available but I think it was called Barcelona.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:13 am

Serpent wrote:Onyx also made an eInk smartphone. Not sure if it's still available but I think it was called Barcelona.
Onyx have a phone model called E43 on their website.

For iPhone users there's an add on eInk screen option from a company called Oaxis.
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:24 am

I'm reviving this old thread to mention that a Norwegian start-up is launching a "paper tablet" they call reMarkable. (Disclaimer: I have no shares in the company ;) ) It has a 10.3” monochrome digital paper display using e-ink technology, and weighs appr. 350 gram. The magazine "Trusted Reviews" has had a pre-look here and they are pretty positive about it. It can be pre-orderd for $429 incl. shipping, and the pack includes the tablet, the marker, a Folio, USB cable and instruction manual. If you order now you will receive it in September. Once released, the pack will sell for $716, but price may vary as the product develops.

It looks like a really nice product, but I am a bit hesitant to order it already now. The price is quite high for a "tablet" which in my view still has limited options. It only supports PDF and ePUB, although their website says that more formats will be announced. It is also unclear whether it will be able to interface with e.g. Evernote, OneNote etc. On the other hand there will be free apps for iOS, Android, Windows etc. so you can synch your documents on other devices, but they don't say whether storing your documents in their "cloud" will be free of charge or not. So the dilemma is whether to wait to see the product in the market and get reviews from everyday users, but paying a lot more, or take your chance and fork out now for a product you will only hold in your hands in September.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “General Language Discussion”