Language Shaming

General discussion about learning languages
s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Re: Language Shaming

Postby s_allard » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:15 pm

This discussion about early adult immersion, i.e. starting the language in an immersion setting, made me think about the experience of hundreds of thousands of adult immigrants to Canada every year. Where I live, the province of Quebec accepts about 55 000 immigrants of year, many from non French-speaking countries. Young children and teenagers have no problem learning French in the school system. For adults, it's obviously more difficult but there is a large government-run system of free language courses called Francisation. This is about a year of full-time language training that will produce B2 level performance.

This level is certainly enough for many kinds of jobs that do not require high-level language skills. But most high-level and well-paying positions require language skills higher than B2. What do the mast majority of people do? It's simple. Take classes at the university in their field of interest and in French. They can also take advanced language courses.

What can be better than having to study in the target language and be forced to produce university-level spoken and written French? It works wonders. Thousands of adults do it every year. It's certainly hard work but they don't complain.
3 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:53 pm

s_allard wrote:What can be better than having to study in the target language and be forced to produce university-level spoken and written French? It works wonders. Thousands of adults do it every year. It's certainly hard work but they don't complain.

I definitely agree with that! Studying at university level is definitely a great way to improve. I just find that it's more effective to do that when I haven't amassed a silly amount of fossilised mistakes, that's all I'm saying!
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 pm