Forum rule reminder: Politics are off-topic

General discussion about learning languages
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Forum rule reminder: Politics are off-topic

Postby emk » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:22 pm

I know that a lot of people from many different nationalities and political parties have strong feelings about the recent election.

This is just quick post to let new users know that this forum (and HTLAL before it) have a long-standing rule against political discussion. The rationales for this rule are:

1. Our forum members come from everywhere in the world. Some of our members live in countries that are at war with each other, or which have a history of very bitter relations. Those forum members often want to come here and escape politics for a while and study languages.
  2. Approximately 90% of the forums on the Internet are full of constant political discussions. Basically, politics is "forum kudzu", and it tends to drive out other topics of discussion. If people want to discuss politics, they can do it almost anywhere else on the internet. :-)
  3. Political discussions require more effort from moderators, and force us to make more judgement calls. Language-learning discussions are generally far easier to moderate.
  4. Almost nobody wants to read a 150 post thread consisting of people yelling at each other over government language policy in the Balkans, which is often what happens when we allow politics.
I hid one political thread this morning. Everybody involved is welcome to repost any of their non-political ideas from the thread, of course. If you have any questions, or if you'd like me to recover parts of your posts from the original thread, please don't hesitate to PM me or another moderator!
22 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”