Language usage that annoys you

General discussion about learning languages
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Language usage that annoys you

Postby Ani » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:55 pm

Alphathon wrote:.

The mixing up of then and than in writing is another one as I don't understand how it happens (other than as a result of a typo/autocorrect). Are they homophones in some accents? To me at least their pronunciation is quite distinct, unlike there/their etc.

Yes they are homophones to me.

The only one that really bothers me is misusing using myself. "Give it to myself or Michael". For the most part people only do this when they are trying to sound formal, not when they are speaking one on one.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

limey75
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); intermediate: German, Norwegian, Old English.
Reading: Die Verwandlung, Der alte Mann und das Meer;
Doing courses: Assimil German, Migranorsk (online).

Postby limey75 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:58 pm

I remember Mark Twain complaining in his amusing book "The Awful German Language" that almost every other word out of a German's mouth was "also" (thus, so). I can't say I've noticed this too much myself but I do find it a very useful filler word!
0 x
De nordiske sprog stod hele livet igennem hans hjerte nærmest, og ligesom de, og særlig islandsk, stedse var det centrale i al hans forskning, således er også hans største fortjenester knyttede til dem...Wikipedia, om Rasmus Christian Rask

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:06 pm

"Only" as a misplaced modifier annoys me. For example, "I only speak English" equates to:
I cannot understand spoken English,
I cannot read English,
I cannot write English,
I only speak this language.

Generally speaking, in English, with a view to avoiding ambiguity, adjectives and adverbs should be placed as closely-as-possible to the word that they modify. Valid exceptions occur in English; however the example that I provided above is extraordinarily common and it is quite simply wrong. The corrected version would be "I speak only English"; that is, "I speak no language other than English."

EDITED: Formatting
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:24 pm

iguanamon wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
iguanamon wrote:We have "someone", "anyone" and "no one".

Don't you mean "no-one"? "no one" would only exist in phrases like "no one man should have all that power.

I direct the reader to Muphry's Law... ;)

Since I am an American speaker of English and live in the Americas I refer you to grammarist.com

Fair enough, but that feeds back to my point about the loss of the space/hyphen/one word distinction in writing compound words. Maybe Americans just don't use hyphens much at all....
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Hyphens are a hassle on touchscreen devices. This trend isn't limited to English.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Cainntear wrote:
iguanamon wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
iguanamon wrote:We have "someone", "anyone" and "no one".

Don't you mean "no-one"? "no one" would only exist in phrases like "no one man should have all that power.

I direct the reader to Muphry's Law... ;)

Since I am an American speaker of English and live in the Americas I refer you to grammarist.com

Fair enough, but that feeds back to my point about the loss of the space/hyphen/one word distinction in writing compound words. Maybe Americans just don't use hyphens much at all....
I wonder if we were the first to do away with "to-day" and "to-morrow."
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Speakeasy wrote:"Only" as a misplaced modifier annoys me. For example, "I only speak English" equates to:
I cannot understand spoken English,
I cannot read English,
I cannot write English,
I only speak this language.

Generally speaking, in English, with a view to avoiding ambiguity, adjectives and adverbs should be placed as closely-as-possible to the word that they modify. Valid exceptions occur in English; however the example that I provided above is extraordinarily common and it is quite simply wrong. The corrected version would be "I speak only English"; that is, "I speak no language other than English."

EDITED: Formatting

See, to me, "I speak only English" sounds off. "I only speak English" would certainly be the most natural way to say "I speak no language other than English", and that would be the default meaning, with the others you said being secondary and dependent upon things like stress.
8 x

limey75
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); intermediate: German, Norwegian, Old English.
Reading: Die Verwandlung, Der alte Mann und das Meer;
Doing courses: Assimil German, Migranorsk (online).

Postby limey75 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:46 pm

Speakeasy wrote: The corrected version would be "I speak only English"; that is, "I speak no language other than English."

You're absolutely right, IMHO. But the incorrect version is what most people will say in practice.

AFAIK, this issue wouldn't arise in German or Norwegian, as "Ich nur spreche Deutsch" and "Jeg bare snakke norsk" both sound off. (Natives please correct me if this is wrong :))
0 x
De nordiske sprog stod hele livet igennem hans hjerte nærmest, og ligesom de, og særlig islandsk, stedse var det centrale i al hans forskning, således er også hans største fortjenester knyttede til dem...Wikipedia, om Rasmus Christian Rask

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:50 pm

And how about "I speak English only?" For some reason that calls to mind someone stubbornly refusing to speak any other language. "Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" "No, I speak English only!"

:lol:
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 pm

It's the "new" usages of existing language that all of the sudden become trendy that annoy me the most. A few years ago it was "perfect". We used it as often as possible. I still hear it way too often from servers in restaurants.

These days it's "I'm just sayin'". Say anything you want, not matter how rude, and follow it with "I'm just sayin'" and the entire thing is supposed to be acceptable.
4 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “General Language Discussion”