Grammar through massive input (exposure)

General discussion about learning languages
s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Teaching and ability to hear sounds in TL (was: Grammar through massive input (exposure))

Postby s_allard » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:21 pm

tarvos wrote:...
In Marais' case the problem wasn't not hearing the difference between bon and bonne; it was using the spelling bon to render the sound of bonne.

And that is where I beg to differ, because to English ears, bon and bonne sound exactly the same.

This statement does not make sense although I get an idea of what you are trying to say. Let try to restate the argument. I believe that there is no physiological difference between ears of an English-speaker and a French-speaker. So they both hear the following sounds [bõ] and [bɔn] as different sounds because these sound are objectively or acoustically different. Phonologically the French-speaker will associate them with sequences sequence such un bon pain and une bonne table and (for educated speakers) with the spellings bon and bonne.

In standard French we can conclude that [bõ] and [bɔn] are phonologically distinctive.

Now, there's an interesting wrinkle here. When bon precedes a masculine noun starting with a vowel or a silent h, the bon becomes denasalized and sounds just like bonne, i.e. un bon ami. So, when Marais writes bon for bonne, he is actually not absolutely wrong, but this is certainly very wrong in the context of bon journée.

What does the English-speaker associate these two sounds with? Contrary to what is often stated, English has nasal vowels but we all agree that they are not distinctive as they are in French. This doesn't mean that English-speakers don't hear the sounds. They are just variations of a common sound.

What confuses the issue is asking people to reproduce the different sounds. This is the difficulty. I'm always surprised to find that English-speakers can very quickly imitate all the sounds of French in an isolated fashion. Speaking entire words and phrases fluently is another question.

Reading written French aloud screws everything up because of the interaction of the two writing systems.

What we see so often of course is that people can understand spoken French such as newscasts perfectly well and yet have very imperfect pronunciation. In fact, many of us have this problem. Understanding the spoken problem is fine; it's the speaking that's the problem.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Grammar through massive input (exposure)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:25 am

Marais wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Similarly, classroom/textbook attempts to put language into real contexts drop into contrived, fake examples. I can't remember the last time I managed to get anyone at an airport check-in desk, security check or border control to speak to me in anything other than English, and yet lots of books choose that as their "real-world context". (In particular, the passport check dialogue in a TY is often 6 or 7 lines, whereas the real conversation is typically "Hello, hello, thank you, thank you.")

This is too true. When i came to France to live permanently i came on the ferry.

Despite never speaking a word of English to anyone, i was spoken to in English by dock workers, the passport control, the coffee dispenser lady, the bar staff on the ship, the passport control in Ouistrehem. Similarly, i'm spoken to in English when i try to deal with anyone 'official'. My dentist, the doctor, the bank and the person who sold me a fridge all tried to speak English to me, even when i understood what they were saying in French and wasn't struggling in the conversation at all.

It's mind boggling that nobody in the education system has taken their erasmus year and their experiences, spent 10 minutes analysing them and come up with better contexts. It would be mind numbingly simple to do and yet its never done because tick-box exam passes are all that matter.

It's very easy to pass when you know exactly what the dialogue is going to be about and have 2 years to prepare for the final exam.

If however i'm talking to my neighbour about the work he's doing on his house and he suddenly points over and starts saying something about the cows in the next field, or pointing at the tree next to my house and saying something about how it was windy last night i'm going to very soon get lost if all i've ever had to know is some nonsense about buying tomatoes in the shop.

A typical adventure to the supermarket here is me walking round with a trolley, filling it with stuff without necessarily even reading what its called, getting to the check-out, saying 'bonjour', hearing the amount to pay and then saying 'bon journée au'voir.' THAT is real life. The problems come when they ask you if you've got a 'carte Carrefour?!' or 'hey! don't put your water or beer on the checkout because they weigh more than 8kgs and we like you to leave them in your trolley.' or 'do you want one of our magazines with our special offers and coupons in it?!'.

This is sad to me. Where will we be in a few decades. If you want to provide real examples valid to real life in a matter of decades more and more English could spread into many more areas of every day life through many countries including France.

This makes me realise with anecdotal evidence you provide together with how well English is taken up by so many Europeans compared to how poorly other languages are taken up in general that once again it has the hallmarks of a conspiracy written all over it. The education systems are not encouraged to improve on any language actually spreading much at all except English. And as Marais points out above, English is invading many aspects of everyday life. Where will Europe be in 100 years if the EU has their way. Such a shame.

tarvos wrote:To an English speaker, bon and bonne sound the same.

They definitely do not sound the same to me, and i'm a native English speaker.
0 x

Finny
Green Belt
Languages: English...

Postby Finny » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:39 am

One of the most annoying things about learning French via television is the sheer number of English-language (and almost always American English) commercials on a French news TV station (iTele) I watch. There's at least one in every commercial break, and in some cases, there are several, whether with English-language soundtracks or with English narration and tiny French subtitles beneath. I know it's done because American English signals sophistication in the company and worldliness in the listener (if s/he understands it), but it's a pain for someone who's trying to hear all French, all the time in the intervals where my wife and kids aren't around. On a less personal and more humanistic note, it's also frustrating from the globalization angle; I'm trying to "become" French while they're busy trying to become Americans. But at the end of the day, I have a lot less social engineering to learn French than they do to learn AmEnglish.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:53 am

I think we need to ask an important question at this point:

If a tree falls in the forest and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

The point of Buddhist koans like this is that there is no correct answer -- there is a "great doubt" that forces us to think about the nature of reality and subjectivity.

First, although we can reason that yes, the tree makes a sound (because physics), we cannot prove by observation -- you cannot witness the sound if no-one hears it. Similarly, we can reason that an unrecognised phoneme must hit the uninformed learner's eardrum and stimulate the nerves (because physics and anatomy) but we cannot prove it by observation.

Secondly, to attempt to resolve the koan, we have to consider the meaning of the words. What is sound? Even with our modern understanding of physics, the subjectivity of language still doesn't make the question any simpler -- quite the opposite. Is there such a thing as "sound"? Sound is nothing more than vibration in a medium -- movement. Does that movement qualify as "sound" on its own, or must it be perceived by a listener to qualify? It's a subjective question and there's no right answer.

So it is with "hear". Is "hearing" the stimulation of the nerves, or is the processing that goes on in the auditory cortex still part of "hearing".

I would argue the latter (Tarvos's position) and I would support that with phrases in common use such as "I didn't hear him right" which doesn't typically refer to a failure in the inner ear, but to a failure to correctly process the input in the brain. That's not to say that the other interpretation is wrong per se, but even if the other view makes a valid distinction, I don't believe it's a useful one.

Either way, sitting here arguing about what "hear" means is a waste of effort, because it is readily apparent to everyone what each person means by it, and we should really be discussing opinions and facts, not choice of language.

And when it comes down to it, Tarvos and S_Allard aren't really disagreeing as much as it looks like.

S_allard is correct in saying that the N thing is a failure to discriminate sounds, which is exactly what Tarvos said, too.

The area of disagreement is just one point, and I'm on Tarvos's side here.

Most native English speakers cannot accurately perceive the difference between -n and -nne until it is explicitly taught (so PeterMollenberg can because he now speaks French, and presumably couldn't before he started learning). This is not a matter of orthography, it's one of phonological processing. I have taught French to absolute beginners, and even without writing anything on the board, without ever seeing an N written, they have repeated words ending in a nasalising n by pronouncing a non-nasal vowel. The only input they had had was the sound, so the only explanation is that their brains processed the nasal vowel as vowel+n. Nasal vowels do occur in English, but these are simply allophones of non-nasal vowels that have been nasalised due to contact with nasal consonants.

Whether this is failing to "hear" or failing to "perceive" or "sense" or "process" is irrelevant.
2 x

s_allard
Blue Belt

Postby s_allard » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Cainntear wrote:...
Most native English speakers cannot accurately perceive the difference between -n and -nne until it is explicitly taught (so PeterMollenberg can because he now speaks French, and presumably couldn't before he started learning). This is not a matter of orthography, it's one of phonological processing. I have taught French to absolute beginners, and even without writing anything on the board, without ever seeing an N written, they have repeated words ending in a nasalising n by pronouncing a non-nasal vowel. The only input they had had was the sound, so the only explanation is that their brains processed the nasal vowel as vowel+n. Nasal vowels do occur in English, but these are simply allophones of non-nasal vowels that have been nasalised due to contact with nasal consonants.

Whether this is failing to "hear" or failing to "perceive" or "sense" or "process" is irrelevant.

Before this debate wanders off, I think it is important to understand the starting point. In a post Marais wrote that in a supermarket he hears "bon journée au'voir". I corrected this, saying that it was more likely "bonne journée au r'voir". tavros then wrote that bon and bonne sounded the same to Marais at this point in his knowledge of French and who therefore wrote "bon".

While we all agree that the supermarket employee said "bonne journée", the difference in opinion seems to be what did Marais' ears perceive. Was it [bɔn] or [bõ]? According to tavros, it was the same sound. And what sound is this? We don't know. Furthermore, tavros states:

tarvos wrote:...
People are hearing the same sound - their ears aren't trained to hear the difference. You have to train people to pronounce the sounds differently and once they can pronounce them comfortably and reliably, they will start hearing and noticing this difference. The fact that these sounds are different practically does not mean that our brains perceive them as such. That's what causes accent.

In other words, people can't "hear" or perceive the differences in sounds until they can pronounce them "comfortably and reliably". So Marais cannot distinguish between bon and bonne until he can pronounce both words properly.

I think this is totally wrong. The cause of the error is the idea that if people cannot reproduce a sound, they cannot perceive it. For example, a French-speaker hearing an English-speaker say "hold that thought" is actually hearing "hold zat sought".
I believe that the French-speaker hears the -th sound perfectly well and can certainly distinguish between sought and thought or bath and bass long before being able to pronounce the th perfectly.

This is exactly why we are able to understand a language that we speak imperfectly. When Marais wrote "bon journée", it wasn't because he heard [bõ], it was because of the interference of English and his imperfect knowledge of written French.
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:27 pm

If I had to wager, I would say that most beginner anglophones probably could notice a difference between "bon" and "bonne" lined up right next to each other in some totally artificial, abstract minimal pair test, but whether they will actually "hear" it in the wild (be conscious of it and be able to report correctly what has been said) is a very different question.
2 x

s_allard
Blue Belt

Postby s_allard » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:25 pm

tastyonions wrote:If I had to wager, I would say that most beginner anglophones probably could notice a difference between "bon" and "bonne" lined up right next to each other in some totally artificial, abstract minimal pair test, but whether they will actually "hear" it in the wild (be conscious of it and be able to report correctly what has been said) is a very different question.

This point is well taken. In rapid native speech, all sorts of sounds are dropped or blended. People mumble or may mispronounce words. And then we have regional accents. In fact we don't have to hear all the words. We often understand what we hear because we can fill in the blanks based on our interpretation of the context. This is why we can hear "I'd" and understand "I had" or "I would". In French, "bonjour" can be reduced to something like "b'jour" and native speakers would understand it perfectly. We know that "au revoir" becomes more like "aur'voir" or even "aur'voi". (Sorry for the rough transcriptions). What we hear is one thing, what we understand is another.
1 x

Marais

Postby Marais » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:33 pm

tastyonions wrote:If I had to wager, I would say that most beginner anglophones probably could notice a difference between "bon" and "bonne" lined up right next to each other in some totally artificial, abstract minimal pair test, but whether they will actually "hear" it in the wild (be conscious of it and be able to report correctly what has been said) is a very different question.

I think 'bon' and 'bonne' are very different sounding, and think it's very easy to pick up on if you pay attention. Not hard at all. The harder things in French are things that sound the same but mean different things. And English speaker will have a lot harder of a time picking up the differences between something like 'trois' 'toit' and 'toi'.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 pm

While we all agree that the supermarket employee said "bonne journée", the difference in opinion seems to be what did Marais' ears perceive. Was it [bɔn] or [bõ]? According to tavros, it was the same sound. And what sound is this? We don't know. Furthermore, tavros states:

Actually not entirely. What was being said was of course [bɔn], the point is simply that an English speaker doesn't separate [bɔn] or [bõ] in their minds until they are taught the difference and how to notice it. Of course people start noticing later on and even pronouncing those sounds. But you have to be taught how to do so. The fact that it's not the same sound is irrelevant because what matters is the sound which the listener perceives, which to English ears would be rendered as "bon" because there is no meaningful English difference between nasal vowels and adding an actual nasal consonant to the end of a syllable nucleus.

That's not what you claimed.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:52 pm

s_allard wrote:Before this debate wanders off, I think it is important to understand the starting point.

This debate has already wandered off -- it wandered so far off that the mods split the conversation in two.

In a post Marais wrote that in a supermarket he hears "bon journée au'voir". I corrected this, saying that it was more likely "bonne journée au r'voir".

And to be frank, I think that was unbelievably rude of you -- your correction was tangential to the discussion at that point and had nothing to do with what Marais was trying to say, and Marais readily admits to having only a basic knowledge of French. It was utterly unnecessary and crassly impolite.
While we all agree that the supermarket employee said "bonne journée", the difference in opinion seems to be what did Marais' ears perceive. Was it [bɔn] or [bõ]? According to tavros, it was the same sound. And what sound is this? We don't know.

Tavros already gave you half the answer to that, and I filled in what was missing. From observation of my beginning French pupils, a French nasalised vowel is clearly perceived as a vowel followed by an N.
In other words, people can't "hear" or perceive the differences in sounds until they can pronounce them "comfortably and reliably". So Marais cannot distinguish between bon and bonne until he can pronounce both words properly.

I think this is totally wrong. The cause of the error is the idea that if people cannot reproduce a sound, they cannot perceive it. For example, a French-speaker hearing an English-speaker say "hold that thought" is actually hearing "hold zat sought".
I believe that the French-speaker hears the -th sound perfectly well and can certainly distinguish between sought and thought or bath and bass long before being able to pronounce the th perfectly.

While you might not be completely wrong, you're definitely overstating it. Beginners clearly can't perceive the differences. If my pupils' problem was lack of ability to articulate, then the most likely error in production would be simply to replace the nasalised vowel with a non-nasalised one -- a simple phonemic substitution.

But my pupils take what should be a single phoneme and in response give me two phonemes, and I cannot see any way in which that's logically compatible with your hypothesis.

The problem here is that the brain automatically processes incoming language as phonemes, so information is unconsciously stripped from incoming language before we do anything with it. How can we learn from information the brain has filtered out as irrelevant? And the brain has good reason to regard features of pronunciation as irrelevant: it makes us mutually intelligible despite our differences in accent. Consider for example the glottal stop in English. It's a markedly different means of articulating a T than the standard one, but most people aren't consciously aware of whether the person they're speaking to uses it or not, and whether it's [t] or [ʔ], the listener simply perceives it as a phoneme /t/.

This is great for dealing with accents and dialectal variation in first languages, but it is a significant hurdle to overcome when trying to learn a new language -- for instance, if you want to learn Hawaiian, suddenly your brain's assumption that [t] and [ʔ] are allophones is completely wrong.

Now it may well be possible to learn to perceive the phonemes before you learn to articulate them, but you still have to learn to do it. A phoneme is a “meaningful unit of sound” and here is where the difficulty comes in:
In fact we don't have to hear all the words. We often understand what we hear because we can fill in the blanks based on our interpretation of the context.

… which means that we do not need to perceive all the phonemic distinctions in order to understand the utterance, and there is no impetus for the brain to learn the phonemes.

For example, you don't have to learn to hear the difference between /w/ and /u/ to be able to understand the word “wire” – even if your internal concept of it is /uajr/,that will be enough to successful comprehend the word.

Language is full of redundancy, and beginners are not often required to discriminate between similar phonemes. So how will the input ever show the learner that the sounds are distinct and meaningful?

It can't, and whether we train perception or production first, we as teachers (or self-teachers) need to provide and environment that forces recognition of the distinction. I personally believe that production is the easiest way to do so.

Marais wrote:

I think 'bon' and 'bonne' are very different sounding, and think it's very easy to pick up on if you pay attention. Not hard at all.

If you pay attention, and when you pay attention – and therein lies the problem.

When we direct conscious attention to the input, we are more capable of listening to the sound of speech “in the raw”. We can then trick ourselves into believing that our brain can perceive the sound; but as soon as we stop paying conscious attention, the brain falls back onto the tried and trusted strategy of filtering the sound for phonemes.

This is why I've seen several studies supporting the idea that conscious minimal pair discrimination practice is valueless in improving speaking performance – people trained to do minimal pair discrimination get much better at the conscious task of listening for these differences, but this doesn't train the unconscious part of the brain to attend to them.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”