Ten reasons why Irish is an absolutely awesome language

General discussion about learning languages
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Ten reasons why Irish is an absolutely awesome language

Postby Josquin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:16 pm

If any of you are interested why a little bunch of lunatics in the Celtic TAC team dedicates their time to studying something supposedly as useless as Irish, here are ten reasons to convince you why Irish is great! Admittedly, it's mostly interesting for language nerds, but I guess there's no shortage of those around here. ;)

10 Reasons Why Irish Is an Absolutely Awesome Language

Short quote from the article:
Irish will give you a more direct line to Ireland than English ever could. [...] Through Irish, I have been able to bypass the tourist-board clichéd image of Ireland and look at the real thing behind the curtains. I have been able to meet interesting people I wouldn’t have met otherwise, to become involved in interesting projects I wouldn’t have become involved in otherwise, and made feel welcome like someone who belongs here rather than a stranger who’s just tolerated here.
7 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Return to “General Language Discussion”