Selecting extensive reading materials

General discussion about learning languages
MorkTheFiddle
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (read fluently), Spanish (read fluently), Ancient Greek (abandoned), Latin (abandoned). Once studied Old Norse.
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zcx4ogt

Re: Selecting extensive reading materials

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:23 pm

The notion that extensive reading is valuable has been around for more than a few years. There are a few academic articles relating to extensive reading here: http://www.cornellcollege.edu/classical_studies/pedagogy/bibliography.shtml#er. I'm sold on the value of extensive reading, and I don't teach, so I have not looked into any of the resources that site gives.
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Re: Selecting extensive reading materials

Postby Tomás » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Ani wrote:So what's wrong with the translation button? It is like a mix of iguanamon's side by side readers and EMK's cheating method. Personally, I don't see how anyone could learn plants and animals from the L2-L2 dictionary :) Eventually you will learn enough that it would take more time to look up or translate.

There's not a thing wrong with the translate button--if it is not inhibiting your enjoyment of reading. But if it is, there is a simple fix.

For plants, animals, and household items, one could use picture dictionaries or vocabulary books, although that seems boring to me too. For Spanish learners in the US, there are two animal shows on Saturday mornings: Aventura Animal on UniMas, and the show that comes on before or after it whose name I forget. You can easily learn your animal names by watching those.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”