Learn all 24 EU languages

General discussion about learning languages
s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Re: Learn all 24 EU languages

Postby s_allard » Mon May 30, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm intrigued by this project. If I understand correctly, the OP will have to pass a B1 exam for two languages every year. That's either two languages simultaneously for a year or one language every six months, more or less. All this for 12 years. My question is what does the OP do for a living? This language project looks to me like a full-time occupation for the next decade.

The technical details about how all this will be done are very scant. Will this be all self-learning? Or will this consist of a formal language class in a group or with a private teacher?

As can be surmised I'm highly skeptical that this is going to work. I would not bet any money on this but I'm certainly supportive. Good luck and bon voyage.
11 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Mon May 30, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm upset because Finnish is dead last. I also think Finnish before Estonian is a much better idea. Other than that I share the supportive sentiment yet hesitant expectations that have already been expressed in this thread.
5 x

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Mon May 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Awesome idea! Hope you're still of the same mindset 10 years on, or even five :)

I have the same wish, but I would only go for being able to read in all the European languages. That immediately solves the problem of "keeping up" as reading is the easiest to do in between job and social life, and reading the correct stuff gives you access to all the vocabulary of a language, including conversational, albeit passive.

It wouldn't even be much of an issue to keep chatting in every language a few minutes every week to activate the passive knowledge you maintain by reading.

Great project anyway!
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon May 30, 2016 10:28 pm

Yeah, great project! I think it can be both easy and difficult. Some ten years ago, I'd probably believe it was impossible (for a mere mortal), but now after having met hyperpolyglots at three Polyglot Gatherings, I don't find it all that impossible anymore. I even think it's likely - provided you have realistic goals, stay inspired, choose your methods and resources wisely, and possibly - study the languages in the optimal order. If Professor Arguelles was around, I'm sure he would give his advice.

He once presented a Vision for an Intensive Institute for Foreign Language Study Skills, which would cover English, French and German (regardless of chosen "track") during the first year, and around eight-nine languages in total after four years:

http://foreignlanguageexpertise.com/institute.html
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue May 31, 2016 12:37 am

Keys wrote:Awesome idea! Hope you're still of the same mindset 10 years on, or even five :)

I have the same wish, but I would only go for being able to read in all the European languages. That immediately solves the problem of "keeping up" as reading is the easiest to do in between job and social life, and reading the correct stuff gives you access to all the vocabulary of a language, including conversational, albeit passive...

Great project anyway!

It's a terrible project. I hope this site is still active 10 years from now. For 20+ languages to happen, a few things must align, including having an insatiable appetite for language learning. If that were the case, you wouldn't even have to ask this question because you would be busy devouring new languages. Almost anyone with this type of curiosity would also not want to tie himself in advance to a political construct such as the EU. If your learning conditions are not ideal, you'll have to study late or shout at people through closed doors. Finally, you might have to tear yourself from something you enjoy and you may even realize, 10 years from now, that you should have studied something much sooner.
3 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Tue May 31, 2016 7:05 am

This project probably sounds unrealistic to most people around here because of the enormity of the undertaking. It is also reminiscent of the type of thing that newbies to polyglottery concoct. After a grand declaration and initial burst of enthusiasm, the whole thing quickly peters out and disappears into the la la land of the internet.

I would never even remotely consider a project like this because I like to pursue languages to perfection. The thought of learning a series of languages to B1 is anathema to me. It is too frustrating.

Having said all that, I do believe that there is some validity in the project. Let's say that instead of aiming to learn 23 languages in 12 years, we aim for 6 in three years. We could even have maybe one language at C1-C2 and a bunch of others at B1. So the project now becomes something like learn a language to B1 every six months. Is that possible and how could it be done?

I think it is doable for pretty much any language and for someone who has a few hours every day. Here is how I would go about it in the following steps.

1. Immediately register for the B1 test six months from now. For example the next round of DELE Spanish tests is in November this year. There's still time to get in. This is important because it is important to have a real goal not just some pie in the sky. Putting real money on the table is what we call having skin in the game. The whole thing becomes serious.

2. Budget around 400 USD for around 20 hours of online private tutoring.

3. Try to find some online or in-person course that lasts a couple of months. Where I live one can easily find 8-week courses in many languages. This can make for a good foundation. For those who are doing self-learning, you have to marshall all the tools and resources.

4. Get into a routine of spending time on this every single day. It may be just an hour first thing in the morning. That would be great. Initially one should expect to spend maybe like an entire weekend or two to get some basics of the language under your belt.

5. At some point start looking at the specific requirements of the B1 exam with an eye towards developing an exam preparation strategy.

6. Keeping in mind that B1 is not very advanced, it is important to always remember that there is a lot you will not have time to learn. Keep focused on the basics and what is necessary for the exam.

For some of the old-timers from HTLAL, I will briefly allude to my idea of the kernel-based learning strategy. This idea says that in any language, there is a small number of words and grammatical constructs that make up the foundation of the language. An effective strategy is to focus on this core and good pronunciation. In other words, don't attempt to learn 10,000 words; concentrate on learning 1000 really well. With good fluency and pronunciation, this will probably be enough for the exam.

7. At some point, start working with the private tutor and then get into exam preparation mode.

8. On the big day, you head off to the exam center ready for anything they're going to throw at you. You'll kill it.

With a strategy like that I certainly think it is possible to do B1 for any language in six months. Doing that for 12 years is a whole other story.
Last edited by s_allard on Tue May 31, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue May 31, 2016 8:08 am

EU23 wrote:I've set myself the task of learning all 24 official EU languages

EU23 wrote:to achieve either B1 or B2

If you manage, you'll earn a lot of respect from me. Can't imagine going through the beginner phase 24+ times. I'm 4 months into my 12th language and I still haven't proceeded to learn the days of the week because I had gotten sick of that damn list some 6 languages ago :|
8 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue May 31, 2016 9:43 am

smallwhite wrote:Can't imagine going through the beginner phase 24+ times.

But considering the languages, will one really be a complete beginner in every single one? I think not. It's not that the 24 languages are unrelated. In fact, the only ones which have no relatives (in the EU Group) are Greek, Irish and Maltese. And we know that it's possible to learn a closely related language in a short(er) time. I know a few who have picked up another Romance language from immersion.

Original poster EU23 already knows Polish (=discount for Slavic languages), and probably some French/Spanish (I got that impression).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Tue May 31, 2016 10:26 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:It's not that the 24 languages are unrelated. In fact, the only ones which have no relatives (in the EU Group) are Greek, Irish and Maltese.

I'd also add Hungarian to this list. I don't have much personal experience with it, but I'd say it's about as far removed from Finnish and Estonian as Greek and Irish are from the other Indo-European languages. On the other hand, Maltese apparently has a huge vocabulary overlap with Italian, which should make things a whole lot easier after you've wrapped your head around the grammar.
4 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Tue May 31, 2016 11:05 am

AFAIK Finno-Ugric split some five or six thousand years ago, so the relationship is indeed quite distant. Between Finnish and Estonian there's some intelligibility but Hungarian is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
1 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Return to “General Language Discussion”