Clozemaster is remaking all of their "fast tracks"

General discussion about learning languages
themethod
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Upper Intermediate)

Clozemaster is remaking all of their "fast tracks"

Postby themethod » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:47 pm

Clozemaster is currently in the process of adding new "fast tracks" with 10,000 sentences each that were specifically created for the app and professionally translated. This solves two of the biggest problems with the previous courses, being that some of the publicly-sourced sentences were of questionable quality, as well as the quantity of sentences varying greatly between languages.

Even though they offer a lot of smaller languages, many of them don't/did not have enough material.

Within the past few months, they've released: Chinese, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Serbian, Spanish, Thai, and Welsh

And these languages are already in progress: Brazilian Portuguese, Cantonese, Dutch, French, Persian, Turkish, and Ukrainian

https://forum.clozemaster.com/t/new-fas ... r/47763/22

The owner claims they hope to re-do all of the existing languages

Personally, Clozemaster was the only app I still use other than Anki, though I hadn't bothered subscribing since they switched to the paid model. But I signed up after seeing some of the new additions, both because it's useful for languages I'm learning and it's good to see an app actually investing in improving their course in a tangible way.
15 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Re: Clozemaster is remaking all of their "fast tracks"

Postby CarlyD » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:41 pm

They also added an "Explain" button, that will take the sentence and break it down word by word. For German, it explains idioms and expressions and covers separable verbs, which I wish they'd had back when I started there trying to figure how how this meant that.

Plus they've added word translations for all the words that were choices, rather than just the one that was correct.
6 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

wallflower
Languages: English (N)
Swedish (Int.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20207

Postby wallflower » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:11 pm

Thanks for posting this news, @themethod. From your link I followed another link to a post on the Clozemaster forum that included this bit of info:

mike from Clozemaster wrote:... we now have a plan and system in place to continue expanding it for every language.

Up to now we didn’t have a good solution for “Welsh only has 900 sentences” - now it has the new 10,000 sentence Fast Track. And we can do the same for Korean, Cantonese, Persian, etc. And what’s more (!) if we have the same set of sentences translated from English into Welsh, and from English into Spanish, we should, likely with just some minor modifications, be able to offer Spanish for Welsh speakers and Welsh for Spanish speakers, etc.

Initially, I was afraid this change/update would apply only to the "big" languages, but it seems they're doing this for all languages they offer. So this is exciting news indeed.
5 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:44 pm

I just went to Clozemaster and got a pop-up that they've just uploaded sentence videos to YouTube for German. There were several videos, with some nice light music behind them, showing a nice picture, the sentence repeated 4 times and the English translation. Very nicely done and a nice free addition to the site.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Return to “General Language Discussion”