Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2016

General discussion about learning languages
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2016

Postby smallwhite » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:22 am

It's mid-December and time to ask...

What are your New Year's resolutions for 2016?

Will you start a new language? Or do you expect to finally finish off the one you started last century?
Will you set new goals? Or are you continuing with last year's and last decade's?
Will you finally come out of the silent period? Or are you more likely to enter into yet another wanderlust odyssey?

Will you track your progress with progress bars in your signature? Or streak calendars on your wall?
Are your goals S.M.A.R.T.? Or do you prefer K.I.S.S.?
And what's your usual success rates with New Year's resolutions?

They say you're more likely to succeed if you make your resolutions public, so take advantage of this and hit that reply button!
Last edited by smallwhite on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Ruan
Yellow Belt
Languages: Brazilian Portuguese (N), English
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1370

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions?

Postby Ruan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:14 am

My master's degree research project will be about Franciscans during the Middle Ages so I'll definitely have to delve into Latin next year. Probably I'll also need to learn to read articles in FIGS ( French, Italian, German and Spanish ). It's funny because I didn't mean it to be a New Year's Resolution when I first thought it up earlier this month, but it's going to be a pretty language intensive year.
4 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:51 pm

These days I'm mostly a believer in no goals (I think it was iguanamon who recently linked to this article in another thread) and I don't intend to make any concrete goals or plans, participate in any challenges, or track progress in anything. But my vague aims for the year are to improve my Italian fluency and pronunciation and to become conversational in Spanish.
11 x

Bao
Green Belt
Languages: German, English
Spanish, French, Japanese

Postby Bao » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:05 pm

Yes.

I mean.

I will do all the languages perfectly, at least until January 2nd.
9 x
Megalomanoglot. Bof!

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:18 pm

I, too, will continue to be achieving without goals. So, there will be no New Year's resolutions, or progress bars for me. I will keep doing what I enjoy and improve my languages. I may even think about picking up a next language. Just because one has no goals doesn't mean one can't still make things happen. Whether you make resolutions or not, I wish everyone all the best for the New Year! May your path be clear. May your dreams come true.
8 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Bao wrote:Yes.

I mean.

I will do all the languages perfectly, at least until January 2nd.

Me too ! :lol:
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Bao
Green Belt
Languages: German, English
Spanish, French, Japanese

Postby Bao » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Oh gosh, sorry smallwhite, I didn't mean to be a smartarse on your topics specifically.

Truth is I do have grand ideas (the JLPT! while I still am in Paris!) knowing very well that the only kinds of goals I manage to keep at are things like 'listen to French news every day' and 'try not to resort to English when struggling with French, try, I said, at least try'. I'd like to put more effort into Japanese again, but I don't really know how to do that.
2 x
Megalomanoglot. Bof!

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Edited so that I can shamelessly steal from TastyOnions:

I will study, listen to, read, speak, and learn a lot of French! Simple enough. :lol:
Last edited by tomgosse on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:52 pm

I don't want to spoil my own log, but my main new year's resolution is to put an end to my (mostly) silent period in all of my intermediate languages (i.e. all of them) so as to stop making mistakes or having doubts still related to the beginner levels. I also want to start at least a new language from scratch, which I didn't do in 2015.
6 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm

#3 goals:

1. Chinese up to B2 level Speaking... close to C1 reading, but this last one may be a stretch, don't know. (2016 will see me spend the bulk of the year in China, so obviously from my A2 / B1 speaking level currently I think with very hard work, B2 is tenable).

2. Lay the groundwork for my 2017 4 month stay in India: learn the alphabet to the point of familiarity, master the sounds of Hindi, and self-study the grammar + basic vocabulary. My goal is to attend Intermediate classes once in India. I am a firm believer that beginner classes in any language are a waste, most of that anyone with a brain can study and by the time you arrive at intermediate the focus is equal on speaking as on textbook learning (and the "slow" learners tend to fall by the wayside, i know it sounds bad but just the way it is)>

3. Either bring my German back from the intensive care unit it will be by mid-next year, at least to the level it was before the great pause. I would like to bring it to near CI in the September 2016 - February 2017 period, but it seems hard given I will have to work quite a bit of hours to save the money for my India adventure.

4. Try to squeeze some Portuguese which is eroded to the point of having low output ability. French will have to wait I am afraid, but I am most comfortable with this language (even over German), as it was my first true L2 back in my teenage days. I will get it back once I have the chance... in 2017.

I would definitely have to say I will probably look back at 2015 to 2018 period as the most exciting in my language learning life (though 2011-2014 the most life-changing, that's when I busted my social life to learn French, German, and Portuguese, laying the groundwork for all that has followed).

That's it!
5 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

Return to “General Language Discussion”