Linguistic Research: SLA Assessment

General discussion about learning languages
Senator Jack
White Belt
Languages: French, Italian (intermediate), Greek (rusty but serviceable), Japanese (rusty)

Linguistic Research: SLA Assessment

Postby Senator Jack » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Hello,

I'm a student of linguistics at Queens College, CUNY, and I'm working on a research project. I'm focused on SLA and am running an experiment that centers on learning 13 words in a language and then testing overall comprehension. One of my participants wrote to tell me that I should post it over here as the members would enjoy taking it. It's based on the Star Trek universe, and the set-up is that you're a cadet who has to learn Kelkonian and then translate transmissions while in battle. It doesn't take long - about thirty minutes - and the results will be used purely for academic research in the field of linguistics. If I've breached etiquette with this post, I apologize, and I understand if it removed. Yet, now that I know about the forum, I'll certainly be visiting often. It seems there's a lot of intelligent discussion to be had.

Here's the link: You'll need the speakers on and pen and paper to take notes.

https://form.jotform.com/52778499196175

Thanks and kind regards,

Jack
Last edited by Senator Jack on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: SLA Assessment

Postby rdearman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:54 pm

Nope this is language related. Welcome aboard and we look forward to you joining in our discussions. Don't have a pen and speakers handy on my tablet, but I'll give your test a little go later. Thanks for the link.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:09 am

I'm taking the test right now.

I think I spotted a translation error right after question number 8 or 9. "ton dalast" and "stin dalast" are both translated as "from the ship", while it was previously mentioned that "stin" is a preposition meaning "around".
2 x
How yes no.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:17 am

Senator Jack wrote: If I've breached etiquette with this post, I apologize, and I understand if it removed. Yet, now that I know about the forum, I'll certainly be visiting often. It seems there's a lot of intelligent discussion to be had.

Looks like a fun study! You might want to edit your post and change the title to "Study: Online SLA Assessment" or something like that, so more people notice it.

In general, posting studies is totally OK, because people seem to enjoying participating. This forum is also a potential source of successful language learners, and of successful multiple language learners.

You're certainly welcome to visit whenever you wish! Linguistics discussions are welcome, and SLA is a favorite topic. In general, people around here tend to be fairly optimistic about adult Second Language Acquisition—most folks on the forum assume that most adults can reach very useful levels in second languages, provided they're prepared to put in the hours.
3 x

Senator Jack
White Belt
Languages: French, Italian (intermediate), Greek (rusty but serviceable), Japanese (rusty)

Postby Senator Jack » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:09 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:I'm taking the test right now.

I think I spotted a translation error right after question number 8 or 9. "ton dalast" and "stin dalast" are both translated as "from the ship", while it was previously mentioned that "stin" is a preposition meaning "around".

Boy, that is a good eye! Thank you! I went over this test about two hundred times in the last week, and I thought I had every typo and error fixed. You always miss something.

Kind regards,

Jack
2 x

Senator Jack
White Belt

Postby Senator Jack » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:23 am

emk wrote: In general, people around here tend to be fairly optimistic about adult Second Language Acquisition—most folks on the forum assume that most adults can reach very useful levels in second languages, provided they're prepared to put in the hours.

Thanks for the suggestion about the subject change! In regards to adult SLA, it's become my main focus, as I started taking French at 45 and went back to university for linguistics at 48. Being that bilinguals have a lower rate of Alzheimer's, I think it's extremely important to get the word out that it's never too late to learn a language. Have to keep that mind sharp, you know? I think you hit it right on the head, though, about being prepared to put in the hours. I think adult learners can have unrealistic goals in SLA sometimes, and that leads to frustration, which leads to quitting. To me, learning a language should be thought of like playing the piano. Yeah, practicing an hour a day may allow you to bash out a few songs at a party, but you have to put in the hours to become a concert pianist, and speaking a second language fluently is like being a concert pianist, isn't it?
9 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: Linguistic Research: SLA Assessment

Postby sfuqua » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:26 am

Welcome aboard!
I learned a couple of second languages in my 20s and 30s, but I have to admit that I restarted my language learning at 58 about the same time that my mother started her decline I to dementia.
I'm so glad I did; I've enjoyed the process immensely.
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:43 am

Hi,

I just had a go at this and thought I'd let you know of another error I think I found - on possibly the second last test I think part of it was mistranslated with multiple sentences being given the same translation? I can't remember exactly where or what it was and I don't want to go back to look through in case I mess up your results.. but I'm reasonably sure it was close to the end.

EDIT: After realising that I still have the answer page open, I found the one I'm talking about: in questions 21-23 dalast is translated as enemy when I believe it should be ship.
1 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

Senator Jack
White Belt

Postby Senator Jack » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks, Amyhere! Another good catch. Really, I wish I had known about this place when I was doing last term's research. It's like having another sixteen pairs of eyes!

I really could have used another week to tinker with the final settings, but the prof said it had to go up this week. Deadlines just make sloppy work.
2 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:16 pm

This is strictly-speaking off-topic, but since the OP has mentioned the issue:

I can't prove it of course, but I don't think we get dementia because we stop using our brains (or don't use them as much as when younger).

I think the causes are entirely physical/biological, and could encompass a lot of factors, but principally I'd be looking at things like nutrition, environment, exercise; and probably genetics comes into it.

Bilinguals may not avoid dementia because of their bilingualism: it could be that they are bilingual for similar reasons that they will avoid dementia (e.g. nutrition, environment and perhaps genetics). i.e. certain "types" of people are just better at two or more languages.

Which is not to say I don't encourage older people to keep up or take up language learning: I'm a "senior" myself, and I don't plan to ever willingly stop language learning.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”