Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

General discussion about learning languages
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

Postby Teango » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 pm

Thanks for the correction, Keys! I've updated this and other people's more recent suggestions to our growing list.

I'm still in the middle of playing "Inner World" in German, and am currently trying to decide on something similar in French too. Anyone have any recommendations for French adventure games with plenty of text and audio that I could play on my iPod (either on or off our list)?
0 x

eginhard
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French
Studies: Lithuanian, Croatian, Irish, Turkish, Russian, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2046

Postby eginhard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:49 am

The German Gothic series is fantastic! Great RPGs with lots of German dialogues.
3 x
: 2 / 52 Read 52 books in 2017 (Goodreads)

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 am

eginhard wrote:The German Gothic series is fantastic! Great RPGs with lots of German dialogues.

Yes I liked the last one, Arcania, it's available in German, French, Italian and Spanish (and English of course). I tried playing it simultaneously in French and Italian but my laptop couldn't handle it anymore somewhere at the area of the big tree in the swamps. It's got good graphics and tons of good dialogue. My personal favorite are 1st person games, and although this one is officially a third person game, it can be tweaked so it's (mostly) first person :-)
2 x

voodie
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1+), German (C1), French (B2), Arabic (B1), Swedish (beginner), Modern Greek (beginner)

Postby voodie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:28 pm

If you're interested in Russian-language games, I'd be happy to recommend the ones made by Ice-Pick Lodge ("Мор. Утопия" and "Тургор").

The developers are promoting the idea of computer games as art, and have achieved quite a lot.

I heard that the amount of dialogues in "Мор. Утопия" (translated as "PathoLogic" into English) can be compared to Tolstoy's "War and Peace". The amount of possible interpretations and the number of ethical/philosophical problems mentioned there is also comparable.

"Тургор" (translated as "Tension") is also incredibly deep, intelligent and touching. Plus, there is some amazing poetry cited there (Voloshin's sonnets).
4 x

FreeEasy
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Student of:
German, Japanese

Postby FreeEasy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Cosmology of Kyoto is a pretty neat Japanese game.
1 x
Die Verwandlung : 1 / 3
RTK Vol. 1: 11 / 56

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:50 pm

emk wrote:Some notes for Android users:

• Avoid Broken Sword 1. Recent versions have disabled the support for non-English audio, and even though the sound packs are still available for download, I couldn't find any way to get them working following any of the available instructions. Proceed with extreme caution, and be prepared to waste $5 on a lovely game with English-only audio.

Since version 3, they have enabled in-grame download of language packs (just change the audio language and it asks you to download .. wait until finished .. et voilà). The old downloadable language packs (.dat files) probably don't work anymore, now you get several files downloaded into the data folder (.osa for speech and .mp4 for cut-scenes).
3 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Lots of games (including many dilogue-rich ones in second languages) are now on sale on gog.com
Especially learners of German and Russian could be excited, French, Spanish, and Italians could be pleased, perhaps there is at least something for others as well.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Cavesa wrote:Lots of games (including many dilogue-rich ones in second languages) are now on sale on gog.com
Especially learners of German and Russian could be excited, French, Spanish, and Italians could be pleased, perhaps there is at least something for others as well.

Don't you care at all about my efforts to save money?! (Never Alone looks like a really cute game...)
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Elenia wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Lots of games (including many dilogue-rich ones in second languages) are now on sale on gog.com

Don't you care at all about my efforts to save money?! (Never Alone looks like a really cute game...)

Nope. I am using the sales to motivate myself to study. I'm gonna reward myself with a good looking adventure with text AND audio in German for two dollars. Nine exam topics to go!
3 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm Assuming this thread is regarding audio not just subtitles?
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

Return to “General Language Discussion”