Copyright and This Forum

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Copyright and This Forum

Postby emk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:02 am

kanewai wrote:My understanding of social media is that the default is: the site owner owns the distribution rights to all content - so they can post it elsewhere, use it in advertisements, incorporate it into a book, etc. However, the original author still holds the actual copyright to any content that they submitted unless they have specifically signed it away.

Meaning: I can't import anyone else's posts here, but I can certainly carry over my own log.

I'm an uninformed amateur, and you shouldn't take legal advice from me. :-) But yes, as I understand it, your understanding of US law is approximately correct, except for a list of tedious exceptions. And as noted, I don't know what rules apply to European users at all.

However, I would still be deeply ambivalent about people to doing any kind of large-scale bulk imports from the other forum at the moment. I want to make another attempt to talk to the administrator again soon (if only to tell him his company site is offline), and I'd really like that to be friendly conversation. If people import huge amounts of content from his forum, that would put me in a pretty awkward place.

Like I said, I know that nobody wants to hear this. And yes, I'm really upset that my old logs are offline right now, and I do plan to put them back online somewhere else if the situation persists. But I'm not uploading them here, not right now, because I'm trying to avoid even the appearance of any possible impropriety.
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 am

emk wrote:...Like I said, I know that nobody wants to hear this. And yes, I'm really upset that my old logs are offline right now, and I do plan to put them back online somewhere else if the situation persists. But I'm not uploading them here, not right now, because I'm trying to avoid even the appearance of any possible impropriety.

Perception is indeed reality. That's why the name change for the forum. So, I can;t fault emk. I am not so madly in love with my writing on HTLAL that I feel as if I must copy and paste it on this forum. I will write similar and new posts here. I will re-write and re-work my multi-track approach post at some point when I have more time. This time it will be more concise and, hopefully, better written, than before. FX can have his site and do with it what he wants, when it comes back online. HTLAL is, sadly, now water under the bridge. That's how I look at it now. If he keeps the site up for another few years, even as a mere shadow of itself, then hey, that's our archive until it isn't anymore.

In a way, this "avoiding the perception of impropriety"is forcing us to be more creative and really think hard about what we may have written before to post here. I won't copy and paste without providing a link to HTLAL (if it comes back online) and attribution to the site. I feel no need to repost my old logs here. Those are in the past. This is our new home and our new future is now.

Speaking of which, emk, perhaps you should re-word the title of our version of HTLAL's most popular thread to "You may be a language nerd when you" or "You know you are a language nerd when this happens" or something else. I don;t think MegatronFilm is around anymore and probably not on this site either. By the way, if you use my wording- I'll sue!!!! :) :lol:

PS How could anyone prove in a court of law that they have actually written a post when all we have is an anonymous forum handle as a signature. Anybody can grab an image or adopt a name from anywhere. I don't know.
1 x

woodpecker
Languages: English (N), Arabic (C1), French, Kurdish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6767

Postby woodpecker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 am

It may already be available in this thread, but I'm not finding it, so: what is the legal justification for the premise that everything on the old forum is FX's? That's not how copyright works in most places--there's a strong presumption that the creator of the content maintains copyright. This is why, e.g., posts on your wordpress blog are yours and not wordpress's. And though I'm not a copyright expert I've studied enough law to know that it would take a pretty complicated TOS to strip authorship rights, and even then it would only apply in certain jurisdictions.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:33 am

We maintain a copyright, but we give FX a non-exclusive right to publish our content. But we can't move entire threads unless every author agrees to have their messages copied. Furthermore, massive importing could close the door to any further cooperation with FX.

old HTLAL works as of now, and there are unofficial backups too. Save important stuff to your computer and create more new content here! :D
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:49 pm

The restrictive version is that of HTLAL, where (wholesale) copying without permission is forbidden and limited copying and copying of own material only is allowed because the general rules in the field.

This site operates under a less restrictive set of rules, so PsittacusMagnus shouldn't despair already now.
1 x

Polyclod
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish, French, German (Intermediate)
Learning: Russian
Hit List: Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1181

Postby Polyclod » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Maybe by virtue of us having an underdeveloped brain and technology that's advanced way too fast for human evolution to keep up?

At least that's what makes *me* paranoid.
1 x
Bücher:

Star Trek The Next Generation Tod im Winter: 82 / 348

Русский

Assimil Russian: 30 / 100

Beharrlich
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3607

Postby Beharrlich » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:28 pm

This thread is fairly old now, but it's a topic I had a question about, so I figure it makes the most sense to reply here rather than making a new thread.

Regarding copyright on this site, 1) what was ultimately decided, if anything and 2) would there ever be any issue with me posting a log here, but also using some / all of my log entries to post on my personal language learning blog? Since I'm the author of any posts here, I assume it wouldn't be an issue for me to re-use my own writing elsewhere, but the more I read of this thread, the more confused I get! :lol:
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:12 pm

josht wrote:This thread is fairly old now, but it's a topic I had a question about, so I figure it makes the most sense to reply here rather than making a new thread.

Regarding copyright on this site, 1) what was ultimately decided, if anything and 2) would there ever be any issue with me posting a log here, but also using some / all of my log entries to post on my personal language learning blog? Since I'm the author of any posts here, I assume it wouldn't be an issue for me to re-use my own writing elsewhere, but the more I read of this thread, the more confused I get! :lol:

You are absolutely welcome to post your log here and on another site, as far as we're concerned. The administrators and moderators are trying to run this site for the benefit of the community, and we at least try not to be jerks. :-)

(Obviously, if you've signed an agreement with another site saying you can't republish certain of your writings except on that site, then please don't post those particular writings here. This would normally only affect paid authors. And please don't engage in large-scale importation of existing threads from other language forums—that might cause us some headaches. Common-sense stuff, basically.)
3 x

Beharrlich
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3607

Postby Beharrlich » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for the quick response, emk! My blog is self-hosted, so no agreements or anything to worry about. Cheers!
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”