HTLAL Forum Back Up and Running?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

HTLAL Forum Back Up and Running?

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:55 am

Just a few minutes ago I logged onto the HTLAL site without a hitch. Anybody else?
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: HTLAL Forum Back Up and Running?

Postby emk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Yup. There's an ongoing discussion in this thread.
0 x

SladeWilson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (starting over), Esperanto (beginner - abandoned) Biblical Greek (beginner - on hold or abandoned)

Postby SladeWilson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:05 pm

Not me, though someone posted a link without the domain name that does work. What is everybody planning on doing if it is back up?
0 x
COURSE LOAD
New French with Ease - Assimil: 0 / 113
I previously completed 30 from 113 of Assimi's New French with Ease lessons.
I will start the lessons over since I abandoned them long ago.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:05 am

I really think that the best solution is for the old site to become a database of old posts with a link to the new site. The old site is clunky at best. The administrator doesn't really pay attention to it. It would be good to have a site run by people who care about it.
I don't mean to disrespect the old administrator. People's interests change. He started the worlds premier language site. Old htlal just doesn't seem like the worlds greatest language site today. I have learned a lot from it, and I hope that the data there remains available for everyone.

The worst thing, however, would be if the community split. The best would be if the old site and the new site could be merged, as much as possible. I really, really hope that this can all be worked out with everybody happy...
4 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:38 am

Hi everyone. Thanks for keeping this wonderful community alive and contributing to it under any circumstances, including very unfortunate ones such as these.

I go away for a few days for exam prep and I come back to this.

I'm still unable to access the old site. Every time it goes down, it's like a part of me is gone. And it's been happening a LOT more frequently within the past couple of years, I think. I really miss the old site and the very familiar and homey interface (you sort of get used to it), but yeah, I agree, the forum was clunky and posting/editing/posting links or images/foreign scripts was such a pain. And I would hate to see the community split. Would definitely love see the issues worked out somehow, with a new site and the old one being merged together, somehow. Or at least having all the info/posts archived and easily accessible.

Anyway, I've been reading the last few threads pertaining to the issue, and I gotta say, emk, rdearman, mrwarper, serpent, and many others have been doing an amazing job keeping the rest of us up-to-date. Oh and the back-ups :) Thank you all so much.
2 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:16 am

Guys, any possibility that we change software and keys of the forum?
I was already fond on this new forum. It's more modern and functional. And the administrator is an active user.
2 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”