Highly experimental extensions to try out

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Language pack update

Postby rdearman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:59 pm

emk wrote:Language packs are working well so far. I'd like to try adding another handful. But this time around, we have choices:

1. Spanish speakers! Do you think the forum should use Tú, or Usted, or give you the choice? Does anybody object to defaulting to European Spanish?
  2. Mandarin speakers! Would you like simplified or traditional or a choice?
  3. Does anybody volunteer to test a right-to-left language like Hebrew or Arabic? I'd really like to know if the forum software plays nicely with these languages.
As always, thank you for trying out all this new stuff, and for your feedback. I'm totally unqualified to do make these decisions for all but a tiny, tiny handful of languages. :-)

Personally I vote for simplified.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:24 pm

emk wrote:Does anybody volunteer to test a right-to-left language like Hebrew or Arabic? I'd really like to know if the forum software plays nicely with these languages.

I could test the Arabic language pack to make sure that at least the basic features are working as designed. However, since neither the original HTLAL forum nor this forum seems to have any native Arabic speakers, it wouldn't be overly useful.
IMHO, it might be more useful to implement special [rtl]...[/rtl] formatting tags that'll display text RTL and increase the default font size by about 20%, because the default Latin font size will make it difficult to read diacritics.
To give you an idea what Arabic text with diacritics looks like, here's an Arabic word with diacritics:

100%: كِتَابٌ
120% كِتَابٌ

If you nevertheless add the Arabic language pack, I'll of course test it. In that case you may want to consider integrating the free Yamli web service, which converts transliterated Arabic into Arabic characters.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Highly experimental extensions to try out

Postby Arnaud » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:32 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Doitsujin wrote:IMHO, it might be more useful to implement special [rtl]...[/rtl] formatting tags that'll display text RTL and increase the default font size by about 20%, because the default Latin font size will make it difficult to read diacritics.

This is definitely an option, and I was already wondering what we would need to do to make RTL work nicely in logs. Volunteers are very welcome to help figure this out and/or explain it to those of us who don't speak Arabic!

I do think that any self-respecting language site needs to have working RTL. :-)
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:00 pm

emk wrote: Volunteers are very welcome to help figure this out and/or explain it to those of us who don't speak Arabic!

I'll volunteer to produce or work on RTL text - here is a possible solution:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2150880

and also could we implement strike: with [s]these tags[/s] as outlined here:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... in-phpbb3/

Let's try a little syriac and see what happens...

ܐܬܪ̈ܘܬܐ ܕܦܪܣ
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:31 pm

גם בקר שתפו לחשבון.

ויש נפלו חבריכם ב. אם הקהילה אתנולוגיה מלא, לוח את מוגש אחרות הקנאים, אנא מתוך החלל או. תאולוגיה העריכהגירסאות בדף מה, צ'ט להפוך פיסול מושגי את, בה שער כניסה הנדסת אנגלית. התוכן ביולוגיה אנציקלופדיה דת שער.

חפש כיצד מיזמי העברית דת, אחד לחשבון תחבורה דת. את קהילה חבריכם אנא, דת סדר מיזמי כלליים האטמוספירה, דת כלכלה עקרונות שכל. את תנך תוכל טכניים ויקיפדיה, אל תורת אנציקלופדיה תנך, לערך וכמקובל חפש גם. או עזה העיר יוני, תנך ישראל אדריכלות גם.

של תנך הטבע הבאים בחירות, שמו ראשי סרבול ומהימנה בה, וכמקובל בויקיפדיה היא אל. רשימות עקרונות מונחונים שתי מה. קולנוע למאמרים את ארץ, כתב ביולוגיה אקטואליה את, מה זאת טבלאות אגרונומיה טכנולוגיה. כתב בה טכניים מדויקים רב־לשוני, אם המלחמה למאמרים מתן, המקובל חרטומים על מתן.

ננקטת המדינה טבלאות את אתה, רב־לשוני היסטוריה קרימינולוגיה את בקר, צעד של החברה מדויקים היסטוריה. בה שמו ראשי מונחים, צ'ט של החול ערבית המקובל. רבה המלחמה הגרפים של, כימיה ותשובות לימודים דת היא. והוא תרומה אם אחר, סדר מדויקים עקרונות ב. את צעד העיר זקוק הארץ, של הבהרה גרמנית צ'ט, ב רומנית אתנולוגיה כדי. שתי את חשמל מיוחדים, הארץ לאחרונה מדע של.

it would seem that the major issues are right side align and period punctuation placement.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt

Postby Doitsujin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:44 am

zenmonkey wrote:it would see that the major issues are right side align and period punctuation placement.
That issue will disappear, if you add

Code: Select all

direction: rtl;
to content class style elements.

I have no idea how phpBB language packs work, but I assume that the Hebrew/Arabic language packs come with customized RTL stylesheets.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 am

Doitsujin wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:it would see that the major issues are right side align and period punctuation placement.
That issue will disappear, if you add

direction: rtl;
to content class style elements.

I have no idea how phpBB language packs work, but I assume that the Hebrew/Arabic language packs come with customized RTL stylesheets.

Most likely the implementation for people wanting to write some RTL text within generally LRT posts is to implement the following:

The solution to create a custom BBCode called RTL that then can have a button with the other BBCodes. To do this, navigate to the Posting => BBCodes section of the phpBB3 administration panel and click "Add a new BBCode." Then, put in the following:

BBCode Usage:

[RTL]{TEXT}[/RTL]

HTML Replacement:

<p dir="RTL">{TEXT}</p>

Make sure to check display on posting page so users know they can use it.
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt

Postby Doitsujin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:49 am

zenmonkey wrote:Most likely the implementation for people wanting to write some RTL text within generally LRT posts is to implement the following: [RTL]{TEXT}[/RTL] [..].

That is exactly what I originally suggested. To quote myself:
Doitsujin wrote:IMHO, it might be more useful to implement special [rtl]...[/rtl] formatting tags that'll display text RTL and increase the default font size by about 20%, because the default Latin font size will make it difficult to read diacritics.

@emk: How difficult would it be to implement [rtl]...[/rtl] tags?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:12 am

Doitsujin wrote:@emk: How difficult would it be to implement [rtl]...[/rtl] tags?

Pretty easy, and anything that's needed to support Arabic and Hebrew in posts is a high priority. I'll set aside a few hours soon to go through the easy feature requests and implement a bunch.

For the geeks in the audience, should "rtl" be a "div" (a wrapper around one or more paragraphs) or a "span" (something that use use inline inside a mostly English paragraph)? Or do we need both for best results?
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”