Public vs. private logs (was: HTLAL might be gone)

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Re: Public vs. private logs (was: HTLAL might be gone)

Postby daegga » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm

On other boards I've seen tags to hide content from the public in an otherwise public thread. Guest would see something like "please log in to see this message", while logged in users would just see it without further action like clicking a spoiler button. This could be embedded in a post, so parts of the post are visible to everybody.

Maybe there is such a plugin available for phpBB? This would allow more fine-grained control of what we want to see by the public and what not.
like that: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... bcode_mod/
1 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 am

Like emk I have always seen my 'old' log as something public, and the more who saw it the better. Well, the spurious 5 million visits it received in its life time was almost certainly due to a fluke in the program rather than a deep interest in the public for the kind of things I wrote about, but it was still nice to know that somebody saw my rants about extinct critters, grammatical quirks, ancient Germanic and Romance languages, classical music, paintings, wordlists and astronomy. And well, language learning...

Right now I'm thinking about ways to keep a line back to my contributions to the old forum - especially my bloated multiconfused log, but also my Guide to Learning languages and my recent thread about the idiosyncracies of Google Translate (which I wrote as a substitute for going to New York). This may imply setting up a homepage just to store things I don't want to get lost at the bottom of Tartaros and keeping a bloglike log with reference to that storehouse of weird and fanciful stuff in various languages - but I have to see whether the old forum gets on its wobbly feet again before I choose my strategy. The only certain thing is that I want the stuff to be visible, and I'm fairly certain that the future of my (b)logging lies here rather than at the old forum.
2 x

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:19 am

You can use wordpress.com for setting up a homepage - it's free, has loads of themes and doesn't splutter at unfamiliar fonts/alphabets.

Boy, was I ever so glad to have kept a copy of the log at UniLang - but I'm considering keeping another spare on my wordpress.com homepage as UniLang has issues with my city's wifi.

EDIT: However, making some posts private would be a great idea. I like sharing what I've learned, but some posts might be a little too private for anyone random non-logged in to read (see: my hearing aids choice, for instance)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 am

I'm entirely happy for people to see what I post (and I have always posts with the knowledge that anyone can access it). As for things being private on the old HTLAL - well, I could always access everything but the technical forum, as far I as I can remember. That was actually incredibly useful, as I never logged in on my phone but often used it to catch up on other's logs.
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:49 pm

I strongly support giving folks the option of making things private when they want to. :)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

SladeWilson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (starting over), Esperanto (beginner - abandoned) Biblical Greek (beginner - on hold or abandoned)

Postby SladeWilson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Although it took me a while to start browsing the logs at HTLAL, it really seemed like it was the place to be on that board. I don't see the logic behind restricting viewership to the most active section of the board. If logs aren't indexed by Google, it would really suck.
0 x
COURSE LOAD
New French with Ease - Assimil: 0 / 113
I previously completed 30 from 113 of Assimi's New French with Ease lessons.
I will start the lessons over since I abandoned them long ago.

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”