Lang-8 function?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Lang-8 function?

Postby astromule » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I know this has been asked before and as I remember, it was rather complicated to implement. I was wondering... couldn't we just have a small topic/section called "Correct my entry" and paste the lang-8 link?

We could establish a format for the title of the posts, for example "[German] Vorlag; [Español] Presentación" and so on. Then, if someone is interested in correcting an entry, he/she can go there.

What do you think?
8 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Lang-8 function?

Postby Xenops » Mon May 08, 2017 2:55 am

Unless the mods say no, I don't see why not.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon May 08, 2017 3:03 am

You can do that right now without anyone's approval or effort by starting a thread and posting in it and

astromule wrote:Then, if someone is interested in correcting an entry, he/she can go there.

What do you think?

Though if he/she is interested in correcting an entry, he/she can simply go to lang-8, too.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:55 am

astromule wrote:couldn't we just have a small topic/section called "Correct my entry" and paste the lang-8 link?

I think it would be even better to have such a feature right here on our Forum. I believe we have the native or near-native expertise. We are looking for ways to make our Forum and our Blog/Wikia more attractive, and ways to attract and retain more members.

We could have a separate section of the Forum for each of the major languages, and perhaps a common area for smaller languages together. People who do the corrections would identify themselves as either native or advanced (C1, C2).

I am willing to do corrections in English. I would like to get corrections in Dutch.

We can build up quite a repository of "corrected" text in many of our languages. We could do this primarily in the Forum and then copy the best material to our Wikia. At that point, we might even consider adding audio. This would be a very positive and progressive addition to LLorg.
4 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 08, 2017 12:34 pm

smallwhite wrote:You can do that right now without anyone's approval or effort by starting a thread and posting in it and

astromule wrote:Then, if someone is interested in correcting an entry, he/she can go there.

What do you think?

Though if he/she is interested in correcting an entry, he/she can simply go to lang-8, too.

Unfortunately not.

If he/she is an old member of lang-8, they certainly can. But no new registrations are being accepted, the team is trying to change useful Lang8 into their new (and in my opinion useless) HiNative, a chat with questions and answers about langauges.

We have already been discussing this in past and it is a good idea to give each other corrections, but there are a few practical troubles, the biggest being the size of our userbase. In order to get corrections quite fast AND at the same time not spend too much time correcting others, we'd need a bigger userbase. Just look at the amount of French learners here vs. the amount of French natives (or C1/C2, if we feel like correcting people as non-natives, which is another issue), that is a good example.

But it sounds like an idea worth trying, in general.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Cavesa wrote:
smallwhite wrote:You can do that right now without anyone's approval or effort by starting a thread and posting in it and

What do you think?

Unfortunately not.

If he/she is an old member of lang-8, they certainly can. But no new registrations are being accepted, the team is trying to change useful Lang8 into their new (and in my opinion useless) HiNative, a chat with questions and answers about langauges.

We have already been discussing this in past and it is a good idea to give each other corrections, but there are a few practical troubles, the biggest being the size of our userbase. In order to get corrections quite fast AND at the same time not spend too much time correcting others, we'd need a bigger userbase. Just look at the amount of French learners here vs. the amount of French natives (or C1/C2, if we feel like correcting people as non-natives, which is another issue), that is a good example.

But it sounds like an idea worth trying, in general.

This would be better as a separate web front end, with the registration / authentication taken from the forum db.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian

Postby astromule » Tue May 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Great ideas! :)

tommus wrote:
astromule wrote:couldn't we just have a small topic/section called "Correct my entry" and paste the lang-8 link?

I think it would be even better to have such a feature right here on our Forum. I believe we have the native or near-native expertise. We are looking for ways to make our Forum and our Blog/Wikia more attractive, and ways to attract and retain more members.

We could have a separate section of the Forum for each of the major languages, and perhaps a common area for smaller languages together. People who do the corrections would identify themselves as either native or advanced (C1, C2).

I am willing to do corrections in English. I would like to get corrections in Dutch.

We can build up quite a repository of "corrected" text in many of our languages. We could do this primarily in the Forum and then copy the best material to our Wikia. At that point, we might even consider adding audio. This would be a very positive and progressive addition to LLorg.
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Wed May 10, 2017 1:54 am

I get great writing feedback from Google Translate. I write in Spanish, then I hit the switch button twice to back-translate to see what google does. I pay attention to all the hints that google gives me. In Spanish, at least, Google Translate is excellent. It knows many idioms and collocations. Plus the feedback is immediate.

The key thing is to keep hitting that switch button and doing back-translations, maybe occasionally making small improvements to see what happens each time. I have learned so much from this.
5 x

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 am

I also use Google Translate frequently, but for some reason the idea of hitting the switch button has never occurred to me. Thank you! :)

Tomás wrote:I get great writing feedback from Google Translate. I write in Spanish, then I hit the switch button twice to back-translate to see what google does. I pay attention to all the hints that google gives me. In Spanish, at least, Google Translate is excellent. It knows many idioms and collocations. Plus the feedback is immediate.

The key thing is to keep hitting that switch button and doing back-translations, maybe occasionally making small improvements to see what happens each time. I have learned so much from this.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 am

Dear User,

Thank you very much for trying to use Lang-8.

As you have noticed, our system momentarily can not registration for unidentified reasons.
Therefore, we are sorry to inform you that we cannot specify the exact date when this issue will be solved.
When we start new registration, we will make an announcement on Lang-8.

Please let us apologize once more for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.
Thank you for your kind understanding on this subject and we all appreciate your patience.

Best regards,
Lang-8 staff
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”