LLorg Portland 2017

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

LLorg Portland 2017

Postby arthaey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:32 pm

UPDATE, Feb 9

• Who: Aokoye, Arthaey, Galaxyrocker, Systematiker, Xenops
  • What: LLorg North America meetup
  • Where: Portland, OR
  • When: Fri Oct 6 – Sun Oct 8
  • Why: meet folks face to face, have fun! :)
(All above info is still tentative.)

Let's make LLorg Portland 2017 happen! Before July 1st or after October 1st.

Here's a quick summary of relevant comments from the broader discussion about meetups:

arthaey wrote:Portland might actually be a decent location: we can all raid Powell's foreign language section. :) And yeah, way cheaper than a lot of the larger cities.

aokoye wrote:I'm free before July 1st and after October 1st. Other pros for Portland outside of Powells - a lot of good food that is relatively inexpensive (especially compared to any other logical place to have this in North America), public transportation isn't horrible and is pretty inexpensive, and lots of outdoorsy things to do.

Xenops wrote:I could probably make it to Portland. :D

Systematiker wrote:I would even be OK with something in the Pacific NW

I'm going to kick off some brainstorming off the top of my head. Please add whatever strikes your fancy, and note that my suggestions aren't law. ;)

I'm imagining that this will be a small thing.

• We could all go in together on a multi-bedroom AirBnb, or rooms in an affordable hotel, for a weekend.
  • We could bring language resources to share & tell in person.
  • We could do a field trip to Powell's bookstore together.
  • Converse in our languages at whatever stage we're at and have a fun awkward polyglot time. ;)
  • We could go for a hike somewhere nearby, if there were interest.
  • We could pick restaurants with a strong foreign vibe and maybe the staff speaks a foreign language?
  • Are there language-related games? Or even just regular games but we could play in our languages.

Just some thoughts to get this rolling and make this a thing that actually happens! :)
Last edited by arthaey on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
6 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: LLorg Portland 2017

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:03 pm

I've got more thoughts, but initially and briefly, I can't do a weekend (for obvious reasons) and after October 1 is better
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:09 am

Systematiker wrote:I can't do a weekend (for obvious reasons)

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but this is counterintuitive rather than obvious to me. ;) Many folks work or go to school, so the weekends are the only time they could attend an event.

You're saying that you could only go to a weekday event?
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:23 am

arthaey wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I can't do a weekend (for obvious reasons)

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but this is counterintuitive rather than obvious to me. ;) Many folks work or go to school, so the weekends are the only time they could attend an event.

You're saying that you could only go to a weekday event?

Ha, sorry - that's actually me in the profile picture, clerical collar and all. I can't be away a Sunday without a major undertaking. I realize I'm the odd one out here, though, so don't feel bad if something works for everyone but me.

I also said the later date, because we are moving in May and I know I won't be able travel (extra) until after getting settled in, but again, it doesn't need to depend on my schedule, I'm probably the one having the most trouble getting there so don't feel any special need to fit things to what works for me.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Good call on creating a thread for this! Sometime October or November makes the most sense to me regardless of whether or not Systematiker can come (though it would be great if he could but as someone in school I get that weekdays don't work for a lot of people). I also imagine this will be a small thing that, at least excluding travel, will be relatively inexpensive because again with the being a student thing.

We could all go in together on a multi-bedroom AirBnb, or rooms in an affordable hotel, for a weekend.
We could bring language resources to share & tell in person.
We could do a field trip to Powell's bookstore together.
Converse in our languages at whatever stage we're at and have a fun awkward polyglot time. ;)
We could go for a hike somewhere nearby, if there were interest.
We could pick restaurants with a strong foreign vibe and maybe the staff speaks a foreign language?
Are there language-related games? Or even just regular games but we could play in our languages.

This all sounds good to me. We could also go to various food carts. Public transportation is easy for the most part (no one other than me will likely be in an area where it isn't easy) and there is a pretty big pod of them four or five blocks from Powells, about half of which are open on Saturday. We could also take public transportation or I could drive people to some of the ones that are farther away from downtown (I can fit at least three passengers in my car possibly four).

Portland is also just fun to walk around in and explore.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:28 pm

aokoye wrote:Good call on creating a thread for this! Sometime October or November makes the most sense to me

Let's tentatively plan for an October event, since that works for both you and Systematiker, and I don't have many constraints. (I'd prefer October to November, primarily for Thanksgivings & NaNoWriMo reasons.)

I also like your additional suggestions of easy public transit and food trucks. :)

Systematiker wrote:Ha, sorry - that's actually me in the profile picture, clerical collar and all. I can't be away a Sunday without a major undertaking.

Would you be able to attend a Friday night and/or Saturday event, home in time for Sunday?
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:47 am

If I was to make it, and it's still not certain I'll be able to as I'm unsure of what the future holds, I'd likely only be able to do it the second week of October (fall break), though I could make it at any point during the week that week.
3 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:15 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:If I was to make it, and it's still not certain I'll be able to as I'm unsure of what the future holds, I'd likely only be able to do it the second week of October (fall break), though I could make it at any point during the week that week.

Does Fri-Sun October 6-8 or 13-15 work better for you?

For everyone else? I can do either weekend just as well.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 pm

If I can make it, I'll be there Friday evening and Saturday morning/early afternoon - either of those weekends looks fine at the moment.
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:23 pm

arthaey wrote:Does Fri-Sun October 6-8 or 13-15 work better for you?

For everyone else? I can do either weekend just as well.

The 6th-8th works a bit better for me. The 6th is on Sukkot and the 13th is Simkhat Torah. I'd rather miss out on part of Sukkot than Simkhat Torah but if push comes to shove I could do either weekend.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”