REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Postby rdearman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Hello everyone,

Once again I'm putting out a request for more content on the static/main site. There are a couple more language profiles coming due, but I'm looking for more guest posts to publish. If you've got something you want to say, and you think it would make a good guest post, then please contact me. If you know someone who might be interested in doing a guest post who isn't a regular on the forum, then put us in touch.

Also guest posts do not have to be in English, you can write in your native language if you want, or a target language if your brave enough.

So come on! Let's get typing!
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Postby tommus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:24 pm

In the spirit of making a constructive comment, I don't think we can expect many contributions to the Main Site, or many people even knowing (or remembering) that the Main Site even exists, as long as there is no very visible link/button on the Forum that takes you to the Main Site.

Here on the Forum, the Main Site is totally "Out of sight, out of mind".
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:38 pm

tommus wrote:In the spirit of making a constructive comment, I don't think we can expect many contributions to the Main Site, or many people even knowing (or remembering) that the Main Site even exists, as long as there is no very visible link/button on the Forum that takes you to the Main Site.

Here on the Forum, the Main Site is totally "Out of sight, out of mind".

True, but the point of it is to gather up new members. The problem of course is we don't have any programmer types who can do us an extension which allows a home button on the various themes.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:47 pm

rdearman wrote:The problem of course is we don't have any non-lazy/non-busy programmer types who can do us an extension which allows a home button on the various themes.

Added text for accuracy. ;)

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not poking fun at anyone but myself here. I'm a programmer but haven't gotten around to doing any of the cool forum extensions I'd like to. After 8 hours prig ramming at work, I usually want to do something else with my free time.
Last edited by arthaey on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:45 am

rdearman wrote:True, but the point of it is to gather up new members. The problem of course is we don't have any programmer types who can do us an extension which allows a home button on the various themes.

Could the link menu extension be used to do this? Sadly, I don't know any PHP to really work on this.
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:18 am

galaxyrocker wrote:Could the link menu extension be used to do this?

That looks promising! Maybe emk could have a look at that extension.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

maschingon
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish [C2], Portuguese [B2? C1 writing? no idea], Chinese [high intermediate level, no idea specifically]
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3906

Postby maschingon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:53 pm

rdearman wrote:Hello everyone,

Once again I'm putting out a request for more content on the static/main site. There are a couple more language profiles coming due, but I'm looking for more guest posts to publish. If you've got something you want to say, and you think it would make a good guest post, then please contact me. If you know someone who might be interested in doing a guest post who isn't a regular on the forum, then put us in touch.

Also guest posts do not have to be in English, you can write in your native language if you want, or a target language if your brave enough.

So come on! Let's get typing!

I'd love to write about something! I have a ton of things to write about, but I'm not quite sure what you're looking for - could you specify a bit?

I have a plethora of ideas to write about and would love to get some of that clutter out of my head, as it tends to build up and I spew it out on my non-language-loving friends, who then tell me to let it out on someone who cares - and unfortunately, until finding this site, there were 0 people who cared :lol:

One topic I could write about (I promise this isn't shameless self-advertising - just the first thing that comes to mind that could spark some interesting discussions): when I studied abroad in Mexico, I would write down literally every single strange word/phrase that I heard, and would figure out what it meant by asking Mexican friends --> there were no reliable slang dictionaries that I could find, so for the final program project, I decided to put the stuff that wasn't in normal dictionaries together with definitions and example sentences - it quickly grew out of control and turned into a 150 page (single spaced) bilingual Mexican "slang" dictionary, of only the most commonly used slang, which I ensured by using 10 Mexican friends as a "funnel" to weed out the rarely stuff. Then I wrote my undergraduate thesis about the history of slang collection in Mexico, i.e., the reasons, motives, and methods that people have done it, focusing on the 1800s. This fall I plan to expand it by recruiting 10 people from each state (controlling for age, class, etc.) in order to get really accurate results of what is used nationally and what is used locally.

What are you looking for?
4 x
Michael King (seudónimos: Miguel Rey / Miguel Rei / 金一迈)

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”