Proposed BCMS/SC profile

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Proposed BCMS/SC profile

Postby Radioclare » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Daniel N. wrote:Side note: I must say that use of "Vaš" in such a forum is quite rare, "tvoj" completely prevails (unless we had a very different status in the RL, e.g. if you were a member of government, an ambassador, etc. and if I knew it).

As a side note to the side note, would you guys normally capitalise "Vaš"? I have seen it written both ways and always been vaguely confused about what was correct.
0 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Radioclare wrote:As a side note to the side note, would you guys normally capitalise "Vaš"? I have seen it written both ways and always been vaguely confused about what was correct.

I guess, most style manuals suggest using the capital letter only when you directly address a single person you respect (Vi, Vama, Vaš, etc.) e.g. in a message, e-mail and so.

Be aware that style manuals sometimes don't correspond to reality. For instance, there are style manuals telling you that you shouldn't write (and say) skoro sam zaspao "I almost fell asleep" (what 99% people would say), but gotovo sam zaspao (a sentence almost nobody uses :?) since skoro should be used for times only :roll:
1 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Radioclare wrote:
As a side note to the side note, would you guys normally capitalise "Vaš"? I have seen it written both ways and always been vaguely confused about what was correct.

I capitalize Vi, Vama, i Vaš in business correspondence. Forumaši su obično na ti pa sve da su ambasadori u privatnom životu. Ako je neka osjetljiva tema ili ako se traži pomoć ja bih počeo s "Vi".
1 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Sun May 01, 2016 5:52 pm

When I get Daniel N.'s submission for loanwords, I'll start fixing up this profile with all of the comments in mind. This will definitely take more time than what I've done on the proposed Finnish and Hungarian profiles.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”